SOLVED

Edge support on Server OS?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

First I would like to say, that it's great to see that Edge will also have support on legacy OS like Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. But I can't find on the Edge Insider website, if there will be support on Server OS. So I would like to know if you have any plans on supporting Edge on for example Windows Server 2008 R2, Server 2016 and Server 2019?

I really hope there will be support on Server OS, because when you have a large Citrix environment, users will also browse on the internet on those servers. And the users don't like to use Internet Explorer for browsing :)

Best regards,

Lasse

51 Replies

@Rob Seiwert I'm running "Version 77.0.235.9 (Official build) beta (64-bit)" on Windows Server 2019 with a Remote Desktop Session Host role (also known as Terminal Server, but not Citrix one). It runs fine. I've installed it from an .MSI offline download.

@Mantvydas No, we face the same issue like @Rob Seiwert . The problem ist not "user-based", it's "access-based". Regardless of user/admin rights, Edge goes crazy if you try to open it in a RDP or Citrix Session. But if you access the server over console it works.

You wrote, you installed RDS role on the server, but did you manage to open Edge in a RDS SESSION or only over the CONSOLE?

This is our setup:

Edge Dev V 78.0.244.0 64bit

Windows Server 2019 1809 17763.652

Citrix Virtual Apps 1903

@Thilo Langbein Thanx, we'll give it a try and post the result here...

@blomsterharry @Thilo Langbein @Rob Seiwert @Mantvydas @annapeel 

Hey guys, we made it work! Thanks to the hint of Thilo, we made the following registry change:

1. Open Registry Editor

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\CtxHook

3. Create a REG_SZ string "ExcludedImageNames"

4. Enter the value "msedge.exe,nacl64.exe"

The new Edge starts now without any issues in Citrix and RDS Session...!

@Chrizzly 

It will be.  Things take time & we are, actually, not all that long into this.  Moving along apace, really, considering the time-frame. We only started sometime in April. And, less than a mere 4 months later the Beta Channel has only just been released; and its update Builds a whooping 6 wks apart.  It's a big endeavour for the Team plus wading through heaps of Feedback whilst they are building.  Things are being added piecemeal, too.  Pretend it's a Christmas stocking, smiles coming one at a time.  But, certainly, THE Windows browser, in due time, will, also, be on Win Server.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Chrizzly 

It's a miracle!! One little registry key! We now have it in our QA Citrix system and will be used as the default browser going forward. 

And the sun just came out. :)

Yes please. @Elliot Kirk Do prioritize Windows Server 2016 and newer versions as soon as possible. And of course the possibility to run it in a terminal server environment. 

Love to get rid of both IE and that "thing" from Google. 

@annapeel 

Hi Anna,

What Channel are you using?  Remember, y'all, whist using 'it' as Default browser, it is, still, beta for now, a work in progress & not finished or fully complete (yet).

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@annapeel

Cool, Anna, good for you! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up: 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Edge insider currently works well in TS (a.k.a VDI), tried it in both Server 2016 and 2019.
works as RemoteApp too.

@joakimv 

"Love to get rid of both IE and that "thing" from Google."

Thanks, I always appreciate a good laugh and this ^ sure did the trick :cryingwithlaughter:  IE reminds of a old nag that is put out to pasture, but, keeps trying to come back.  "Git", already.  Go enjoy your retirement, eat grass & be happy, lol.  What?, does google have a "thing"? (wink)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Hopefully when it goes into the stable channel and replaces the current built-in Edge for good, Citrix and Microsoft Edge will be compatible and won't need that registry trick

@Chrizzly 

This this registry setting key do anyting on a RDP server without Citrix?

Best regards,
Dennis.

So to answer the OP's question, the server versions of the new Edge browser are here at:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

ddd.png

Thing from Google is Google Chrome.

@dmutsaers 

Yup, The registry change did the trick for me. 

Unfortunately, it seems that sync with enterprise accounts still does not work on Server OS.

Yes, speaking about sync, i think the main problem is that Edge won't allow sign in when it's run as administrator. specially on server OS when logged in as Admin.

@dmutsaers Haven't tested yet, because we only use Citrix and RDP is blocked on our Citrix Workers.