Using Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
When I setup sync on my work Network, the sync just stays on "Setting up Sync". However, when I go off company WI-FI and onto cellular, the sync works fine and the status changes to "Sync is on". Its more than likely a problem with the company firewall. The IT admin always asks which port/url they need to open. What needs to be opened for Edge Sync to work properly? I tried to watch traffic off my machine, but couldn't make a determination of what URL sync is trying to access.
Hi there; thanks for the reply above. We are exhibiting the same behavior of the profile being stuck at "Setting Up Sync." I do not see any activity being blocked for this pilot PC in our Firewall. I have also confirmed that on a separate computer, completely off our domain, the same thing is happening. The sign-in is with an O365 account. It seems strange that it's happening on as well as off our domain.
I had forced the Sign-In requirement via Group Policy, and I turned it off in case there was something wacky going on there, but that didn't make a difference either.
Good find, well it says "Sync has a dependency on the protection service offered by Azure Information Protection (AIP) to protect sync data" so it kinda makes sense to require it for sync. I think since you can't sync with your account, you can't sign in either because what would be the point.