SOLVED

Edge Reader Mode says the browser is Chrome

Iron Contributor

Has anyone else noticed that when a webpage is in reader mode and you click the button "Reader Mode" on the left side of the address bar next to the reload button it says "Chrome simplified this page to make it easier to read"? It should say Edge not Chrome. Why does it say Chrome?  I'm using Edge Dev. 83.0.467.0.

12 Replies
Hi,
Yeah It's been on Canary too for a while, sent feedback through browser
Thank you for the verification. I sent feedback as well.
best response confirmed by RichLusk (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Thanks for submitting feedback via Edge itself. We read all of those. I was about to log a bug on this because you're right! It's not good :-). But since you submitted feedback, I don't need to do that.

We have quite a number of tools that try to verify all of the strings in the product are correct. It's not at all clear to me how we missed this one. Which means, we probably missed more. If you see "Chrome" anywhere else, please submit additional feedback. 

Thank you @johnjansen for the direct reply. I really appreciate all the hard work that is going into making the new Edge a huge success! You are all doing great!!

@johnjansen 

On Android Edge, if you try to go to edge://edge-urls (or any edge://...) you get an error page. If you then tap in the address bar, e.g. because wanting to amend the URL to another edge:// page address like flags, rather oddly a panel opens showing edge://edge-urls/ in white, and below it chrome://chrome-urls/ in blue, and icons to either copy to clipboard or edit the URL. Clicking to edit puts chrome://chrome-urls/ into the address bar, while tapping copy to clipboard copies chrome://chrome-urls/ into the clipboard, not edge://edge-urls/ in either case. So one can't actually edit the edge://edge-urls/ to e.g. edge://flags/ - you have to type the full thing. It appears that Android Edge is really using the Chrome urls, just treating the Edge ones as aliases if they are typed in, but turning them into the chrome urls if you try to do anything like edit or copy.

I hope this will be amended before we get access to the edge:// urls. And I hope that at least in Canary we get access to them very soon.

Spoiler

@DavidGB wrote:

@johnjansen 

On Android Edge, if you try to go to edge://edge-urls (or any edge://...) you get an error page. If you then tap in the address bar, e.g. because wanting to amend the URL to another edge:// page address like flags, rather oddly a panel opens showing edge://edge-urls/ in white, and below it chrome://chrome-urls/ in blue, and icons to either copy to clipboard or edit the URL. Clicking to edit puts chrome://chrome-urls/ into the address bar, while tapping copy to clipboard copies chrome://chrome-urls/ into the clipboard, not edge://edge-urls/ in either case. So one can't actually edit the edge://edge-urls/ to e.g. edge://flags/ - you have to type the full thing. It appears that Android Edge is really using the Chrome urls, just treating the Edge ones as aliases if they are typed in, but turning them into the chrome urls if you try to do anything like edit or copy.

I hope this will be amended before we get access to the edge:// urls. And I hope that at least in Canary we get access to them very soon.

and here is a screenshot of what you were referring to just in case

_20200403_040601.JPG

btw on Android Edge you can't access any Edge URLs like flags etc, i think they should fix that first

@HotCakeX 

btw on Android Edge you can't access any Edge URLs like flags etc, i think they should fix that first

I believe I indicated in my last paragraph that I know we can't access them and I want that access ASAP. In fact my entire post very obviously implies that it's something I test for in each new Android Edge beta release.

There is no Canary on Android though, only Beta.
that's not a bug, that's a feature

@msekmfb1 

@msekmfb1 wrote:
that's not a bug, that's a feature

Which comment are you replying to?

Hello@RichLusk 

and thanks @johnjansen 

It's Fixed now in Version 83.0.474.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

ikhuj.png

Thank you for the update @HotCakeX and thank you @johnjansen for the quick response and getting this resolved. The Edge Team is great!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RichLusk (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Thanks for submitting feedback via Edge itself. We read all of those. I was about to log a bug on this because you're right! It's not good :-). But since you submitted feedback, I don't need to do that.

We have quite a number of tools that try to verify all of the strings in the product are correct. It's not at all clear to me how we missed this one. Which means, we probably missed more. If you see "Chrome" anywhere else, please submit additional feedback. 

View solution in original post