SOLVED

Edge patch for server OS

Copper Contributor

Hi folks,

After version 85.0.564.63 it it doesn't seem to exist a specific "Windows Server OS" patch for Edge.

I have tried finding one for 2012R2, 2016 and 2019.

Did the patch "strategy" change for Server OSs? I'm guessing its now included in a cumulative update(?) rather than a specific Edge patch. Haven't seen any proof however.

For example; this latest patch does not apply to server OSs:

Microsoft Edge-Stable Channel Version 86 Update for x64 based Editions (Build 86.0.622.38)

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2020/10/microsoftedgeenterprisex...

The challenge is for servers that don't have a direct internet connection and can not auto update Edge.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Many thanks!

3 Replies

@jwestlind 

Hi.

go to https://www.microsoft.com/edge

at the top click on "For business"

then click on "Deploy today"

choose the version you want and architecture, then download the offline MSI installer.

The Windows platform downloads apply to all supported client and server releases of Windows

That's why it only says Windows 64-bit, Windows 32-bit, Windows arm64

no mention of specific Windows version (7, 8.1, 10, server etc), because the installer is universal.

fdsfsdfs.png

This should cover the other part of your question:

Windows updates for Microsoft Edge | Microsoft Docs

Hi @HotCakeX 

Thanks for the reply! Im aware of the download link, thats not the issue here.

The issue is patching Edge on all the servers that the software deployed to.

As I mentioned earlier the servers don't have a direct internet connection and can't use the auto update feature.

What I'm saying is that I'm not being alerted any more through "Windows Update" for servers running an older version of Edge since the most recent version available as a patch is version 85.0.564.63.

Something in regards to patching/updating Edge must have change after this version.

The thing is that workstations (eg. Win10) still have patches available in Windows Update (server OSs do not) but those patches are not applicable on server OSs. Eg. http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2020/10/microsoftedgeenterprisex...

best response confirmed by jwestlind (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jwestlind 

Well use the offline installer to upgrade the Edge on your server.

in the article I linked above,

it doesn't say that Windows server receives new Edge through Windows update. Windows servers don't even have the legacy Edge to begin with.

Windows 10 clients can obviously be controlled through various methods (intune, Microsoft 365 device management, group policy, SCCM etc)

if you have many servers, you can use the methods above to deploy the updates.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jwestlind (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jwestlind 

Well use the offline installer to upgrade the Edge on your server.

in the article I linked above,

it doesn't say that Windows server receives new Edge through Windows update. Windows servers don't even have the legacy Edge to begin with.

Windows 10 clients can obviously be controlled through various methods (intune, Microsoft 365 device management, group policy, SCCM etc)

if you have many servers, you can use the methods above to deploy the updates.

View solution in original post