Spoiler
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Microsoft Edge Version 89.0.731.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

in order to get this, you need to enable this flag: edge://flags/#edge-color-theme-picker

Enable picker for color based themes

When enabled, gives a set of options for autogenerated themes based on a base color – Mac, Windows, Linux

#edge-color-theme-picker

32 Replies

@HotCakeX 

Interesting.

I think that all colors are fine with the Light theme enabled, since the other areas of the browser do not change color and remain either with the Light theme or with the Dark theme.
With the Dark theme I found that most colors don't go well.

As an all time dark theme user, I find the colors convenient to use, specially dark blue, dark gray, gray blue, green and purple.

but for light theme, orange, yellow, light pink, light gray etc. are more suitable
@HotCakeX I think they need to add more colors.
While I prefer a simpler browser, I do appreciate that some people like a bit more colour, so speaking objectively, I think this is a good feature which has a nice interface for picking the colour. Maybe I'll come back to it again in the future, but for now, it's not for me.

@HotCakeX wrote:

fdsfsdfsd.png

Spoiler
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

in order to get this, you need to enable this flag: edge://flags/#edge-color-theme-picker

Enable picker for color based thems

When enabled, gives a set of options for autogenerated themes based on a base color – Mac, Windows, Linux

#edge-color-theme-picker

You need to fix the word in bold, it's a typo

Cool, I like it. Nice having the vertical tabs fly-out have color that is different than the rest.

I am always surprised at the features they bring us that we do not know are coming.. :) Thanks Team!

Dennis5mile

@Kam 

Spoiler

@Kam wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

fdsfsdfsd.png

Spoiler
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Enable picker for color based thems

#edge-color-theme-picker

You need to fix the word in bold, it's a typo

done

@Kam 

Spoiler

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXI think they need to add more colors.

they could do it, send feedback thru browser if you like

@Dennis5mile 

Yeah, it's so cool, something to be excited about all the time :)

wish I knew what's on their "private" top feedbacks list!

This is an amazing feature. I hope if they can add an option to select the color from a color picker, I would like to have a pure black shade as my browser theme :)

@Dennis5mile wrote:

Cool, I like it. Nice having the vertical tabs fly-out have color that is different than the rest.

I am always surprised at the features they bring us that we do not know are coming.. :) Thanks Team!

Dennis5mile

These are ripped from chrome theme store and I like none of them. 

I hate these periodic reminders that scream edge is basically chrome. 

@Rohit Yadav 

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

This is an amazing feature. I hope if they can add an option to select the color from a color picker, I would like to have a pure black shade as my browser theme :)

You read my mind!

@cheeseleader 

@cheeseleader wrote:

These are ripped from chrome theme store and I like none of them. 

I hate these periodic reminders that scream edge is basically chrome. 

these are basic colors really...if two browsers use the same yellow and blue color doesn't mean they copy each other :) 

These are ripped from chrome theme store. Vivaldi and opera cared to develop their own themes and it shows. No prominent browser would take from chrome store and show it in settings like it is their feature, given that even chrome doesn't show them like this.

Earlier it was 3 dot menu change that very distasteful and a reminder that edge is chrome. And sleeping tabs were apparently built from some chromium leftover project.

People in this community have been pretending that these features are exclusive to edge. They are not.

It's been 2 years since the news first broke that edge is moving to chromium and it still is a chrome browser. I have started regretting this move, honestly, in the hindsight.

Recent AMA edge team said original edge set a pretty high bar for certain things, and this just goes on to show that a chromium browser is probably going to remain a chromium, forever.

@cheeseleader I don't know why I am even replying to you here, but I did not know that the Chrome team has a patent on these regular colors like medium blue, dark blur, grey, yellow etc :unamused:

Grow up man, grow up. Edge is original in a lot of ways, and the team has been hard at doing this. If you cannot appreciate the work that the team is doing and can't even provide the criticism in a positive manner, I'm sure everyone here will agree with me that you do not deserve to be in this Insider space.

@cheeseleader 

I admire Edge legacy, everything belonged to Microsoft, the HTML engine, the JavaScript engine and unique UI, but the problem was that Chromium got a lot of things right too, and so websites and extension developers decided to side with them. websites loaded better in Chromium than Edge legacy, extensions were mainly available for Chromium and only few of them available for Edge legacy.

the same fate happened to Windows phone unfortunately. it was a great OS for mobiles, the only problem was that developers chose to use Android instead. and Bill Gates also said that he regrets he didn't start Android first and let Google do it and that's how they won.

Windows phone was really unique and very secure, same app you use on Windows 10, Windows phone, Xbox, HoloLens, Surface, hub etc. and all very secure, like the current UWP apps.

but things are changing, Edge using Chromium means that developers have no more excuses not to build extensions for Edge, users no longer have excuses not to use Edge for compatibility purposes. whatever available to Chrome, is available to Edge (but not the other way around),

the end results? Edge is now the 2nd most popular browser on desktop! just after 1 year of its release.

Edge is stealing market share right under Chrome's nose and they can't do anything about it, because Chromium is open source and everything is legal and properly licensed.

so if there is an opportunity to take advantage, then why not do it!

Windows 10 is rumored (for the 2nd time) to be getting native support for Android apps, and Android apps could be release in Windows store, as an alternative store to Google play. (there are lots of alternative stores already)

once that happens, and with the Windows 10's ability to natively run on ARM and ARM64 devices, one can easily install Windows 10 on any modern mobile device and benefit from both Windows apps and Android apps. (enthusiasts already installed Windows 10 on mobile devices, I think it was a OnePlus phone)

these colors are nothing to worry about, just a little more customization, at least users won't have to install 3rd party themes just to get a simple color, they can do it from the browser settings.

I'm sure actual themes are on the way in Microsoft addons store, they have to open submissions for it first i think.

I appreciate your response hotcakex.

Thing is, I really like nothing about chrome and I like everything about original edge. I am sure you understand where I am coming from.

I really wish edge starts doing their own thing once they recapture the market.

Or else, first the excuse was 'we don't have much market share to justify investing in our own engine' and then I'm afraid it will be 'we clearly did something right and that's how we could gain so much market share, no nedd to invest in new engine'.

So either way no reason for using your own engine? I really want to use a browser with unique rendering technologies, not like everybody else. Whenever I use firefox I can tell it's a different browser. People who use firefox also wax eloquent about HTML diversity. While the average person takes edge because it is 'nicer chrome'.

Judging by your long, sincere response I think you will understand where I am coming from. It is about Microsoft having an advantage.

The inbuilt original edge was that advantage, Congress could not tell Microsoft to sell it like they can tell Google to sell Chrome.

It is about strong incentive and competition.
Awesome!! PInk looks nice :)