Edge is too slow in loading webpages

Brass Contributor

Edge has become too slow in loading webpages now. It takes a few seconds dor the webpage to fully load and be functional. And it gets worse on any of microsofts webpages. Loading Outlook on the web and Office on the web takes approximately 5-10 seconds for loading the whole site and before i can work on anything. I've tried resetting the settings but still it's not speeding up. 

16 Replies

Hey there @haridev-c! What version of Edge are you using, and what's your OS & OS Version? Are you seeing this slowdown with other browsers as well? 

Can you try opening an In Private window of Edge and see if you still get the slowness on page load?

Alex Rowell (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Discuss Stable features and issues on the answers.microsoft.com forums, join us on Twitter, or join the communities over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

Thank you @Alexandra-R for looking into my issue.

I'm currently on Version 94.0.992.50 (Official build) (64-bit), and using a Windows 11 Home Single Language

OS Info:
Edition:                        Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version:                       21H2
Installed on: ‎               13-‎10-‎2021
OS build:                     22000.258
Experience:                  Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.258.0

I've checked with other browsers and I have not felt the slowness in page loading or reloading there.

The In Private window of edge seems to be working fine though, i just checked opening the same sites on both In Private window and the normal Edge window. 

I've also noticed that just after startup or restarting the PC, the browser loads pages at normal speed. 

Normally, the first thing I use to do after opening my PC is to check my mail from Outlook. After that i dont close my browser, but instead minimize it to taskbar and work on other things. Then when i get back to browsing from Edge after a couple of hours, I encounter this slowness in loading of pages. 

Hope the above mentioned details helps in troubleshooting the issue. 

Thanks so much for your quick response!

This bit is interesting - "The In Private window of edge seems to be working fine though, i just checked opening the same sites on both In Private window and the normal Edge window."

Just to confirm, you're not seeing the slowdowns with the In Private window? Are you running any extensions, by chance?
No, im not seeing any slowdowns in the In Private tab.
I used to use an Adblocker till now. But after you asked, i removed it form the browser, closed and reopened the browser to test for the issue again. And unfortunately the issue still exists.

If it could be of any help, i noticed that this site (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com) loaded much faster than Outlook or Ondrive did. Certain websites seems to load pretty much normally, and certain other sites takes too much time to load.
And lastly, every website seems to load normally in the In Private window

Thanks for confirming! Everything working correctly in the In Private window can point to a few things. The big one is that an extension is causing a slowdown, which is why I checked that first. Sounds like we've ruled that one out, so let's give tracking a quick look because that's a one-click fix. Can you navigate to edge://settings/privacy and confirm what level of tracking prevention you're using? You're likely set to Balanced, no need to change that if so. 

Next, on to the cache. Please navigate to edge://settings/clearBrowserData and try clearing it -- For the test here, so you don't get logged out of everything, try just clearing cached images and files for the last 24 hours. Let me know if that improves things at all for you!

Oh, and just to confirm, it sounds like you only have a couple of tabs open at any time?

My tracking prevention is set to Balanced, so i didnt have to change any of that.
And clearing the cached images and files yielded no effect. The browser is as slow as ever. I even came to realise that it isnt just that tab, but the whole browser freezes (I'm not able to close any of the other tabs) when I'm opening certain sites.

Normally i try to keep the number of open tabs to a minimum of 4-5. But sometimes when im working on anything, i may have some 8-10 open tabs.

8-10 is super reasonable, I was mostly checking for something like 'I have 900 tabs open at once' ;)

Whole browser freeze is super interesting, and you have a fairly reliable way to trigger this... hm. Do you mind opening the Browser Task Manager (Shift + Esc on Windows) and navigating to one of the sites that causes slowdown and seeing what's going on Memory and CPU wise when you do? I'm expecting something to spike here, just not entirely sure what yet. 

@Alexandra-R 
I did try loading and reloading both Outlook and Onedrive (since these are the sites that showed the most slowdown), and did see some spike in CPU usage. I'm not entirely sure, if this is pretty normal or if something is off here, so i have attached the screenshots of the spike here.
The first screenshot is taken when i reloaded Outlook and the second one is when i reloaded Onedrive. Hope these screenshots help.

Also could you please tell what those numbers corresponding to the CPU usage represent. They cant possibly be percentage of CPU usage, since 171.8 cannot be the percentage of CPU used right?
Screenshot (23).pngScreenshot (24).png

I know this isn't going to be a super helpful answer but I don't actually know what the numbers represent, I sort of consider them an abstraction on overall system load. Both of those are *quite high* though. Sorry for asking you to take the inconvenient path here, but do you mind fully clearing your cookies and cache for all time?
I just tried clearing my entire browser cache for all time. Apart from losing all my saved passwords, i couldnt see any improvements on the browsers performance🥲
Thank you for trying that, and I'm sorry to hear it didn't work as expected. It's time to bring in the big guns and get the performance team involved, can you please submit feedback in-browser (... menu on the top right > Help and Feedback > Send Feedback)? Please include your email address and check to include diagnostic data, and if you don't mind selecting to recreate your problem and opening Outlook (since it had the higher system load of the two) that would be super helpful. Last piece, please include a description and add my username into it, and let me know when you've submitted. I'll grab it up and get it to the performance team for a closer look and hopefully some advice on next steps.
Hey, i have just submitted my feedback with a recorded video and a detailed description of what is happening in the video. I have also mentioned your username as you have requested.
Hope that the performance team can identify whats going and come up with a solution for the issue.
Thanks for submitting! I've gotten your feedback over to the team to take a look and will circle back if they have any additional questions!

@haridev-c I have noticed this too

Two years. Any news? Edge on my two laptops (two different CPU platforms , two Win 11 SKUs) is so slow loading pages I really consider going back to Chrome. No problems with any other browser (Brave, Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
I've noticed this same issue. It seems like a DNS issue because as soon as I load the same site in Chrome, it fixes Edge. I really don't get it.