Edge Collections - Star To Collect - bad idea not to include a remove option

Iron Contributor

I noticed in the newer versions of edge collections "Start to collect" - After searching I've found this to be a very bad addition to collections.  Collections actually got me away from pocket but with this "Start to collect" I am wanting to go back to pocket. 

I submitted feedback but am hoping MSFT is reading these as Edge is a great browser - the collection option is great - especially when my favorites are full/unorganize I use collections for my "focus on" options.

102 Replies
I came here because of this. As soon as I saw "Start to collect", I was like how to disable this. I checked three dot menu ... and no option there. Then I searched inside settings, still no option.

It's defeating the purpose of collections. I need to collect stuff I like and organize it. I don't want random suggestions from bing which have ruined collections for me. And there are some inappropriate suggestions as well. It can be a disaster in work enviornment.

Please remove this "Start to collect" or at-least provide an option to disable this. Not everyone will come here to complain. Many people will simply stop using it. I hope Microsoft will listen.

@AliSajjad 

Virtually all the "Start to collect" suggestions on my system are "inappropriate" and have no relation to any of my browsing history. It is not simply annoying, it is offensive (and potentially embarrassing).

I am also looking for a way to disable the "Start to collect" section in the Collections sidebar. It's kind of insulting actually since I already have over 20 collections and it's just taking away space from me seeing my full list.
Yes, this is a very bad idea. Besides, my collection keeps getting its titles changed to "synching..." and I lose my collection titles every time it gets synched across my devices. Collections is getting worse and worse. I have gone to Pocket and I am using Firefox more often.
I already gave feedback on this, and I'm still not seeing any option to turn off the 'Start to collect' feature. The whole point of Collections for me, is to keep things neat and organised ( aka, 'simple'). Please give the option to turn this off. I get some users may love it, but give us the choice. To me, this is just junk, as I don't need anybody/anything to suggest new collections/content. When I see the need in my workflow, I'll manage my collections how it works for me.
Today I've opened my Collections (I have 20 at the moment) to see only the latest 6 and a lot of photos of Bezos' girlfriend. I had to search who Lauren Sanchez is - I was never interested in her. I've chosen "Show less like this" about 50 times but she is still all over the place. I don't want to see her, she is ugly.
Also, now I have to press the "Show all" button almost every time to see my actual collections.
And I don't like that Collections are now pinned to Sidebar, I prefer them being an overlay flyout.
I used to keep a small group of collections. Until MS gives me the option to turn it off, I am going back to Chrome. I opened Edge to have all kinds of irrelevant rubbish. Just like MS Start and my feed, it's all rubbish content as far as I'm concerned. Well done MS, back to Chrome I go.

I just discovered this addition today. More algorithmic content forced upon me that I can't turn off, cluttering the Edge UI and bloating the browser.

I sent feedback about this issue using Microsoft Edge's built-in feedback platform. I also made a post on Microsoft's Feedback Portal.

This new feature is a terrible idea. I do not need a bunch of unwanted photos cluttering the entire Collections pane. It's like getting spam mail. Microsoft, we do not need a way to remove these-- simply eliminate this 'Start to Collect' all together. Nobody asked for it, nobody needs it.
I second this, it made the whole collections things way less streamlined, and also way slower, especially on mobile
Agree 100%. This is absurd and intrusive, and they also forced collections to be pinned and not just a fly-out window, which I prefer. I submitted feedback for this as well.
I made the mistake to update Collections in Edge without researching it first.

I agree with everyone in this thread: This "Start to collect" showing "ideas" is the worst thing I have encountered since I started using Edge. Especially not being able to disable this dumb "feature". These "ideas" are mostly irrelevant and completely unorganized.

This NEEDS to be an option to be turned off - ASAP! Sooooo annoying like ads, which is probably the next stupid idea someone will throw in there. Man, I'm irritated.

I really don't want to use sluggish-riddled with junk in the background-Chrome again or go through the hassle of imparting, customizing Firefox or Brave.
I can not agree more.
Edge is my "work browser," and those "Start To Collect" items take up space and slow down my daily jobs.

What can I say? That "collections" place is MY place. MY contents. I did not ask for it to be aggregated with whatever random trash that shows there every time. I know technically it comes from somewhere else (MSN) but I do not care.

The Collections space was supposed to be MY space to keep MY information. What's next, the Favorites list?

I really hate, despise, contempt (yes, it's a verb too) this new feature. WTH is going on with Edge?

PS: Where did "Add all tabs to Collections" go?  Just asking for a friend :|

BTW, the best part of all is that this ONLY happens if you are signed into the browser with a Microsoft account. If you sign out, all this nonsense goes away. Special treatment for us, I guess! It's beyond absurd. I'm losing faith in this browser. First, they push the "Discover" button on us. Now this. No issue at all if they want to provide this as an option, but it needs to be able to be turned off.

and now I hate Microsoft and Edge all over again. How easy it is to hurt brands by pushing turd nobody wants.

I am sure this is from Marketing, as it looks like click bait to generate revenue.
It took me awhile to figure out how to turn this off the search box also. At least it was an option.
I am still pissed that they messed up my quick links. The update totally removed them from file explorer, but they now appear as favorites in the new "Files" app.

As more businesses upgrade to Win 11, I bet there will be an option to turn it off.

Adding my voice to the "This is horrible. Make it go way" Chorus.

More worrying is information which was private is now surfaced through 
https://www.bing.com/saves

I had assumed that what was shared been my computer and phone via my Microsoft account was encrypted and not used by Microsoft, this is clearly not the case. Edge had been trustworthy. Now it isn't