Edge clear cached images and files on exit

Copper Contributor

I have been testing the new Edge Chromium browser for deployment to our workstations and VDI machines.  There is one setting that I would like to set that doesnt seem to be in the GPO templates and I cannot figure out the registry for.  The setting I want to turn on is the option to clear cached images and files on exit.  I do not want to turn on every setting for clearing browsing data on exit like the GPO does, just images and files.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to push this setting out, a registry key perhaps?  I found the Edge preferences file in appdata/local, but I need a way to have it be automatic for all users.

Thank You

16 Replies

Hey @bandit88 , thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear you're using the Clear browsing data on exit feature. Unfortunately, you are correct in that we do not have an individual policy controlling "Cached images and files". May I ask what the intention of enabling this specific toggle by policy is (ie. for memory reasons?) Thanks. 

Hi, thanks for the response. We use Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop to provide virtual desktops to our users. This is provisioned with a streamed vdisk in addition to a disk cache. In the past we have used Google Chrome, but with the amount of data it caches it would regularly fill the disk cache and take down the server. Also having this option would reduce the amount of overhead on roaming profiles. This is a issue we do not experience with Firefox or IE. Ultimately I would like the new Edge to become our default browser but will be unable to do so without this option.  I would assume this option would also be of interest in others using other VDI solutions.

Thanks!

@bandit88  Thanks for the detailed explanation! We will consider this feedback along with others to help us prioritize updating the Clear browsing data policy. Stay tuned! 

@bandit88 Hi there, circling back, can you give an example of how you would like to manage this policy if you could have more granular controls? Were you looking for a policy to clear cached images and files only? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

@ShirleyNg 

Yep, that would be exactly what I am looking for.  I would like to clear cached images and files on exit without clearing stuff like browsing history, passwords, etc.  

I would expect the policy to have the same options as the Edge GUI, where each option can be selected individually.  

Thanks!

@bandit88 

Hi there, 

To reduce confusion with the existing Clear browsing data policy, we created a policy dedicated to Cached images and files. This is currently in Edge83. Hopefully this addresses your needs!

Here's a preview of the policy description: 

ShirleyNg_0-1585685280926.png

Thanks, 

Shirley

@ShirleyNg hi, we have the same "problem" in our company. when we can get the new version from edge and the new ADMX files? This setup will save my day :)

BR

A.

Glad to hear we're improving your workflow! This will be in Edge83 which is currently in our Insider channels but should be in the public channel late May/June.

@ShirleyNg 

I see the new policy for ClearCachedImagesAndFilesOnExit.    Any consideration for adding a GPO to also control deletion of caches images and files for the subset of IE/IE mode with in the new Edge?

We have commonly used IE with the cache for Temporary Internet Files to be set from "Automatically" to "Every time I visit the webpage" to help with a cache issue.   We've migrated most of our sites into the new Edge but have 2 legacy apps still running in IE.   We are noticing that IE mode seems to ignore the user defined setting we have defined for cache and I assume IE mode has some other form of logic more like the automatically.    The GUI for edge has the solution for IE/IE Mode to clear items upon exit and would like a GPO to set it company wide to clear the images/files upon exit for IE mode as well.

Currently I would have to change the Integration Mode back to "Internet Explorer 11" to control the cache the legacy way. 

@CodyLambert Thanks for the feedback! This is a great use case to call out. I believe the majority of our policies are not applied to IE mode but I'll reach out to the team to discuss further. 

@ShirleyNg 

We also need a way to set "Clear chosen data for Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer mode every time you exit Microsoft Edge" via GPO.

Additionally, we need it to work when enabled.  I've been banging my head against this all evening and it does not clear the Internet Explorer / IE Mode cache when you close Edge.  If you click "choose what to clear" and then manually delete the data, it does indeed get deleted.  The automatic delete on closing Edge does not.

The IE specific policy setting to delete browser history on exit *does* work, if you actually open IE directly and then close it.  It is apparently of no use with IE mode.

@ShirleyNg 

Shirley, 

I have just deployed the new Edge browser and have configured the new "Clear cached images and files when Microsoft Edge closes" GPO option however, with this enabled it is clearing everything. We are on the Edge version 85.0.564.63. Is this expected? All history is wiped out on browser exit when this feature is enabled. Is this expected? Seems to do what I would expected from the "Clear browsing data when Microsoft Edge closes".

Hi @ShirleyNg , same problem here after many releases, actually 96.

If I want to clear cookies data like Sharepoint and Teams (4-500MB for evey users) I need to "Clear browsing data when Microsoft Edge closes" GPO option however, with this enabled it is clearing everything, also the saved passwords.

If I enable only the "Clear cached images and files when Microsoft Edge closes" the Sharepoint and teams data still there.

Any planning updates ?

In Firefox it was more simple, one flag/policy that clear the "sites cache" and anything else.

In simple words we need a policy to enable only the flag in this image:

2021-11-29_12h30_51.png

With the actual policy "Clear browsing data when Microsoft closes" enable all flags:

2021-11-29_12h35_40.png

@cipo80 I know it's not super clear, but the ConfigureCookies policy should get you what you need. There's an option for: SessionOnly (4) = Keep cookies for the duration of the session, except ones listed in 'SaveCookiesOnExit' (Save cookies when Microsoft Edge closes) which will clear cookies when the browser closes. 

Hi @ShirleyNg , sorry for late reply, very thank you for the tip, working like a sharm!

I agree, isn't clear, I add these screenshots to help other users!