Edge Canary 76.0.165.0 Variations

Steel Contributor

About 12 hours ago my Edge Canary installation was updated to 76.0.165.0. I installed it on three different computers resulting in three different feature configurations.

Computer 1 - New Sync slider in Settings for Profile Sync Settings (turned on), no Translate option in Language Settings

Computer 2 - No new Sync slider in Profile Sync Settings, Translate option available in Language Settings

Computer 3 - No new Sync slider in Profile Sync Settings, no Translate option in Language Settings

About two hours ago I checked for the update on a fourth computer. It is the same as computer 3. 

For computers 1-3, I thought this was likely be due to a combination of A/B testing, but that is only an assumption.

Are others seeing the Sync slider for Settings in 76.0.165.0?

Are others seeing different combinations of configurations in 76.0.165.0?

11 Replies
I am on 76.0.165.0, and have no slider under Profiles>>>Sync. Only option available there is Favorites.
Under Languages I do have "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language you read" available.
No sign of 76.0.168.0 though...

@davequail Clearly I entered the wrong version information on my original post. I have now edited it to refer to 76.0.165.0. Otherwise, the content is still the same.

Computer 4 has now updated to 76.0.166.0 - There is no slider for Settings under Sync and Translate is still missing. Translate used to be available.

I will check my three other computers later today to see if the configurations are still all different.

I now have 5 computers in 76.0.166.0 with three different combinations.

Only one has the slider for Sync Settings. Translate is missing.

Only one Translate and no Sync Settings.

Four do not have either Sync Settings or Translate.

The update from 165 to 166 did not change any of them.

I'll chalk it up to A/B testing, but since only one computer has the Sync Settings option, I have no way to test to see if the Sync is working.

I also have no translate option under Languages which was there before.  I have only a Settings slider under sync.  I am on 76.0.166.0.

I have an interesting one now. One of my computers has updated to 76.0.166.0, and the slider for Settings sync is greyed out where it was active on Beta 165.

I was just upgraded to 76.0.167.0 on one computer.

Translate is back, but Sync Settings is still grayed out.

I will check the other four later today.

I was just updated to 76.0.167.0 and I still have no Translate option.

@Deleted With the update to 76.0.167.0 Translate is back on all computers.

And I have Sync Settings on two. I have not yet started testing, but at least I now have enough to test.

Hi @ms4132, thank you for reaching out with your observations.  You have guessed the reason you are seeing different behaviors on different installations of Microsoft Edge. We experiment with features by turning them on or off in the preview channels to gather data on how stable and how usable they are.  The features, translate and setting sync are currently under experiment for some customers. Please feel free to offer us feedback on the these features as you see them light up.

I am seeing the same issue or thing depending on if it is true this is a A/B testing which I will doubt a bit since these are features inherent to the Canary, why ding it for one login and not the other, the other issue is this, I am using the same login credentials, so, I expect the A/B testing to be per user credentials and not just user.

@alfsoyemi 

Update: I am on Version 76.0.167.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) on all my 5 devices. When I said sign-in credentials, I am referring to both Windows 10 and Edge Insider Canary. An expert seems to have confirmed this is actually due to A/B Testing.

Suggestion

It would be Nice if a log-in credential on multiple devices is seeing the same feature sets, this truly helps his experience no matter what devices he uses as such better feedback.

That have been running me nuts thinking I must have done something wrong or inherently different in 5 different edge insider installs.