SOLVED

Edge Beta crashing as of Jan 20, 2023 after update i guess

Iron Contributor

Edge Beta is crashing after 5 to 10 minutes of opening.  Started Jan 20, 2023 late. Disabled the Edge WinView2 or whatever that is but didn't help.  I have Edge standard open and there are no issues. Firefox isn't crashing either.  I have searched high and low but don't see anything out there.  I will just use another browser for now and wait to see if things change in a couple of days.  

I guess this is more of an FYI

126 Replies

It crashed one more time, but does seem more stable now.... crash report below:

{
"Local ID": "c20665df-6bff-47e2-94a1-bdaa55a89abe",
"Upload ID": "c20665df-6bff-47e2-94a1-bdaa55a89abe",
"Bucket ID": "1d6f27b21353eae95db75eba16cd3452",
"Cab ID": "",
"Capture Time": "Monday, 23 January 2023 at 15:05:16",
"Upload Time": "Monday, 23 January 2023 at 15:05:16",
"State": "Reported",
"P1": "msedge.exe",
"P2": "110.0.1587.17",
"P3": "msedge.dll",
"P4": "110.0.1587.17",
"P5": "123677856",
"P6": "browser",
"P7": "0xc0000005",
"P8": "0"
}

Thanks. I've confirmed that your crash ID matches the known issue that we're tracking and fixing. The workaround has been effective for other folks that have tried it. The one known reason why it wouldn't work is if you already had an Edge instance in the background (because Edge only respects arguments passed to the very first instance). You can verify whether your current browser "sees" the argument by looking for it on the edge://version page as described in https://textslashplain.com/2022/01/05/edge-command-line-arguments/#:~:text=An%20argument%20I%20tried...
Thank you. This worked for me.
Unfortunately that won't work on MacOS, do you have an alternative for Monterey?

I confirm that it did work for me :)

Thank you!

To pass arguments on Mac, use Terminal to launch.

1. Verify all instances are closed in Activity Monitor (or whatever Mac task manager)
2. Run

/Applications/Microsoft\ Edge\ Beta/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft\ Edge\ Beta --disable-features=msTriggeringSignalGenerator,msTriggeringUseAssetDeliveryService

https://textslashplain.com/2022/01/05/edge-command-line-arguments/#:~:text=command%20line%20argument...

I'm in the same boat as you also due to Autopatch test group.

@Eric_Lawrence 

This solution worked fine for me.

All Edge instances (including the stable channel) must be closed before to add parameters to the shorcut target on the start menu.

Thank you.

Hope they'll publish an upgraded fixed build via windows update soon.

Is there a planned generated Beta build being pushed out today or tomorrow?
Add me to the list.
Thanks, but I tried another browser, and that works fine, I will use that from now on. It was a mess anyway to login with my Microsoft account on this forum :(

Ran into this issue with the AutoPatch Edge Beta for the test group we have setup.   I went into the configuration profile and changed it to the stable version for the test group, however it doesn't change the channel, it still remains on beta.

Is there a way for the configuration profile to change it to the stable version in the meantime or do we just need to wait until beta is updated.

yes, it's happening on my MBP 14" (13.1) on this build about every 10 minutes.
This worked for me.
I did, however start a terminal in the edge beta directory and started it that way
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application
RUnning now for several hours without crash :)

@John_Warburton how do you switch to the stable channel release?  I can't uninstall Beta and when I try to install the stable channel it won't let me.  it has an error message saying a newer version (the beta version) is intalled.

@Eric_Lawrence disabling the features as you suggested worked for me. thanks!

@Eric_Lawrence 

Thanks for the update.

I'm currently testing this workaround, will update shortly with results.

I've edited my shortcut and verified the arguments get passed

LezzaDezza_1-1674504908865.png

LezzaDezza_0-1674504866596.png

That's exactly what I did and finally some peace of mind.
Now, when would it be time to change it back, and will we ever remember to do so?
next version release I presume.
I hope I remember. Question is, what does disabling these features actually break and are they actually important? ;)

All seems to be working however.
Disabling the features temporarily is harmless and you're unlikely to notice any difference.

In /theory/, the buggy code has already been disabled by experimental config flags from the server (see https://textslashplain.com/2019/07/16/updating-browsers-quickly-flags-respins-and-components/#:~:tex...) which means you shouldn't need the command line arguments any longer.