Dolby Digital on Edge Chromium

Copper Contributor

Hi!

My first post so I hope I do it right.

I watch much movies on my HTPC (Viaplay). And last time I tried Edge beta it did not support Dolby Digital.

Will Edge (Chromium) have Dolby Digital support in the future?

Also I don't know how it will work when Edge (Chromium) is ready/stable. Will Windows update force old Edge to be updated to Edge (Chromium), or Will old Edge remain?

29 Replies
So far as I know, Edge is the only one that supports Dolby Digital (Plus) and Atmos in 5.1 surround.
Edge classic since 2015 until Edge chromium came.
Edge and DolbyDigital announced proudly that they cooparated 2015.

I have managed to make them work side by side now.

Old versions of Chrome worked where you could ad flags. (Right clock icon) But in December Chrome came with a new version so now the flags wont work and there is no browser on the market today that supports DD audio playback in 5.1 or 7.1
Both Edge and Edge Chromium support Dolby Digital (Plus) and Atmos and can playback in 5.1/7.1.
Flags still work on Chrome by going to chrome://flags
Edge Chromium has a similar flag adress which is edge://flags/

@F_Stormen 

That is true but then how am I able to get 5.1 channel audio output specifically on this website https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-trailers.html on the Chromium Edge browser? That implies that the browser can in fact output 5.1 channel audio, but then why doesn't it work on Youtube, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video? 

Hi I described earlier in the thread on how to reproduce this problem.

You need a computer witj at least 3 analog 3.5mm jackets out or a spdif/coax/digital out.
If you have 3 or more 3.5mm analog jackets just put in a extra headphones and set them as surroundspeakers.

The play the testfiles, ex Dolby digital Leaf from there official website.

The flags are not available in chrome since v80. --force-wave-audio and -try -supported- channel-layout etc.

I can also see that it it suppose to support DD, DD+ etc. But it doesnt work in reality. Most peolple god pads, laptops and will never notice. But a lot are sitting with htpc to hometheather and cannot stream HBO, Viaplay unless in 2 channel stereo.

So I just installed Edge Chromium Canary on my desktop PC.

The Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers are connected with 3.5mm jacks to my motherboard which fully supports 8 channels.

Went to that Dolby trailer site you mentioned and played the Leaf trailer, got all 6 channels to playback the sound correctly. Not sure why your setup doesn't allow surround sound playback, I didn't change any flags but I did see 1 particular that mentioned something about multichannels audio playback.

Wow, that is great news.!!!
There are a lot o threads about frusterated people that cant get this to work.
You are the first one that can confirm full audio playback en several channels in Edge chromium , (canary)

I have a major 7.1 setup at home with speakers designed for a mixing studio with 2 headseats and 20 cinema viewing seats.
So lets roll back a few weeks.
I got full speakers sound from microsoft speaker setup. VLC, Jriver, Movie & Tv, Chrome and Edge streaming HBO, viaplay etc. Everything is fine.

All of sudden my computer uppgraded to Edge Chromium and went to 2 channel audio. Hmm, tried Chrome, but that also had uppgraded to v80 and 2 channel audio.

Search and searched the intrrnet founding a lot of people irritated that the audio flags wherent supported any longer in chrome.

After a long time I manages to patch the realtec card so everything was packed as a 5.1 container. Even if you play 2 channel internet radio the anp will say 5.1. Then the DD Leaf came to life in Edge Chromium. But not HBO or Viaplay.
They worked only in old Edge.

Anyhow, this is a step forward and Im'glad that I was proven wrong on that point that 5.1 or higher can be outputted on regular saoundcards, at least in Canary xxx,488

@F_Stormen 

I think you are able to use Edge legacy side by side to Edge chromium. As mentioned in the first respond to my post. here is how you do that: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-sysupdate-access-old-edge

Since my first post I have not tried Edge Chromium. I kind of given up using it. It seems that there is only a few that cares about sound when watching movies, and the developer does not care at all. Its more job for them to make this happen.

Seems that all development on all programs on computers/web/smartphones is leaning on simplicity now days, and features that once was there is removed. Google does this all the time and I guess that Microsoft is no exception. I wonder if these choices of removing features is made by economy or if the developer lack knowledge. We will never know.

For me, sound and picture is equally important. To bad I just get half of the experience matching a movie through streaming.

Hi, yes I got them running side by side since a few week (Edge Legacy and Edge Chromium).
So I have 5.1 when watching HBO and Viaplay now.
Sure there can be a hickup with realtek chipset, but I dunno. Its working with every other program. Its not suppose to be rocket sience to get his working. 7t should just work.

@Esmail13 Well, first of all YouTube does not support E-AC3 or AC3. Now, it does support 5.1 (6 channels) in Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity. But for that (obviously) the uploaded video should have 5.1 and you should have that bitstream over opus audio! For example, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTHtXgnhqfM for sure has 5.1 channels, but to make it work is complicated. You need to force from opus (№ 251) to AAC. Now for Netflix and Amazon you may need PlayReady to support 5.1 or 7.1. or Atmos x.x.x...

Amaze - Dolby Atmos Try it for your home theater soundbars and subwoofers!