Dev channel update to 97.0.1069.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 97.0.1069.0 to the Dev channel.  It’s hard to believe it, but we’re already halfway through version 97!  If you missed Ignite last week, we had lots of big announcements, the biggest of which is the general availability of Stable on Linux!  You can ready more about it here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2021/11/02/edge-ignite-nov-2021/

We also have a thread here you can ask more Ignite questions on:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/have-an-edge-question-that-wasn-t-answered-during-....  We also recently released support for Citations in Collections, and have a more in-depth look at it here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2021/11/04/preview-citations-feature-edge/

As for everything else new and noteworthy: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to pin the Edge bar to either side of the screen. 
  • Enabled the Extensions menu by default.  Note that this has also been enabled in version 96, which is currently in Beta. 
  • Added the ability for the browser to register as a handler for XML files in the OS settings. 
  • Management policies (note that updates to documentation and administrative templates may not have occurred yet): 
    • Added a management policy to control if Edge Discover is Enabled, which controls if Bing is allowed to search in the background for content related to the current page. 
    • Enabled support for management policies from Chromium to control Screen Capture in more granular ways:  by setting Screen Capture Allowed By Origins, Window Capture Allowed By Origins, Tab Capture Allowed By Origins, and Same Origin Tab Capture Allowed By Origins. 
    • Enabled support for management policies from Chromium to set Serial Allow All Ports For Urls and Serial Allow Usb Devices For Urls. 
  • Added an experimental API to WebView2 apps to allow any website to be displayed in an iframe (Issue 1243). 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where the browser won’t open. 
  • Fixed a crash when interacting with the address bar. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs randomly close. 
  • Fixed a crash when installing a PWA. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a window. 
  • Fixed a crash when encountering an error while uploading a payment card to a Microsoft Account. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes crash when viewed in high contrast mode. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing an IE mode tab. 
  • Fixed a crash on Xbox. 
  • Fixed a crash on Xbox when closing an InPrivate window. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed a crash on startup on iOS. 
    • Fixed a crash after signing into a work or school account. 
    • Fixed a crash when adding a favorite. 
    • Fixed a crash when changing certain settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where WebView2 apps sometimes don’t open and show an error that setup.exe cannot be found. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved PDF scrolling to reduce the amount of blank space while pages load. 
  • Changed pinned tabs to always be full width when the tab strip is in the vertical orientation. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where certain keyboard shortcuts override system keyboard shortcuts in certain languages. 
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to restore tabs is mistakenly shown after launching a PWA. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites that use certificates on the local machine to log in fail to do so due to the certificate picker not popping up. 
  • Fixed an issue where the translation popup doesn’t appear on pages that can be translated. 
  • Fixed an issue where enabling certain accessibility features results in high memory and CPU use. 
  • Fixed an issue where the number of blocked trackers in the Site Information flyout doesn’t display. 
  • Fixed an issue where Smart Copy only copies a screenshot instead of the actual contents. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs sometimes can’t be pinned to the Start menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where parts of the browser are invisible when certain themes are installed. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where websites can’t be pinned to the Finder. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Edge Bar sometimes opens on its own. 
  • Mobile: 
    • Fixed an issue where swiping back sometimes causes it to get stuck on a loading screen.
    • Fixed an issue where Family Safety sometimes doesn’t work. 
    • Fixed an issue where ad blocking doesn’t work. 
    • Fixed an issue where adding a website to the ad blocker’s allowlist doesn’t do anything. 
    • Fixed an issue where the new tab page layout isn’t consistent with what it’s set to be. 
    • Fixed an issue where managed devices sometimes don’t open links from other apps. 
    • Fixed an issue where saved passwords can’t be edited in Settings. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on YouTube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Next week may be the last official week for Dev 97, but we’re also getting into the holidays, which means there will be a delay before 97 moves to Beta.  Additionally, we’ll be taking some time off from these announcements during December, so there will be some releases during that time that we won’t be talking about, but they’ll still be happening! 

48 Replies
you have done same to dev what you had previously done to canary version...canary version is loading empty blank tabs since 6 to 7 days that why i installed dev and see now after updating the dev the dev also did the same fails to load pages empty blank pages are shown please fix it asap others also reported the same problem on this page...
i hve tried everything like clearing data reinstalling and run as adminstrator redownloaded and installed 4 times but nothing happened even your frequent updates doesnt solve it
With this version the PiP (Picture in Picture) / Global Media function is gone.
Is this a bug or was it a planed change?
edge://flags/
Global Media Controls
Global Media Controls Picture-in-Picture

Why is Edge Dev frequently resetting on its own? I'm being signed out of all sites and I get the Welcome to Edge OOBE-kind of dialogue box on launch where I have to, all over again, select sync settings, default search engine, New Tab page layout, etc. It has happened thrice in two days. I understand dev builds are unstable but the problem is that none of that is mentioned in Known Issues.

Just updated to this version on 4 different Server 2016 machines and getting the same thing. Can't load any sites. Developer tools shows (canceled) for status of the sites I try to go to.
I love workspaces, but comand line swtich not work anymore "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory="Default" -enable-features=msWorkspaces,msRightSideWorkspacesButton :(
I wanna kiss whoever implemented the ability to hide extensions and the extensions button. I'm glad it's finally back to this state.
Workspaces isn't working anymore. Is this temporary? :loudly_crying_face:

Oh, is the new security mitigation setting and super duper secure mode the same? I assume not, because disabling the flag doesn't make the setting go away, but I'm not sure. There's no way to know what that new setting is exactly. The ? button doesn't offer much explanation either.
Print Preview now works again. But this is not mentioned in the list of "Improved reliability" in the article above. Should be added there.

@josh_bodner 

Not sure why - after the update this morning, I've had a dozen crashes.   Not sure if others are now seeing Edge Dev crash or if this is specific to me.  Different websites, doing different things.  Can't nail down a commonality.   Have not have this experience until updating to latest build.   "Repaired" Edge Dev through "Apps and Features" on W11.  Seemed to reinstall Edge Dev while keeping all setting and favorites but did not fix the crashes.

If anyone has seen this behavior and found a solution or work around, please share here!

How does one send in error reports from Server 2016 when Send Feedback doesn't load? Sagar_singh1400 reported that Canary had this issue where pages don't load and now that's come down to Dev and so I now have 4 machines that have Edge Dev that can't load any website nor does Send Feedback work. Since Server 2016 doesn't have Feedback Hub, how exactly are we supposed to send data in so you know what's going on before this issue hits further down the chain? Note, uninstalling/reinstalling/reset settings/removing profile/ctrl+shift+del "everything" and checking all doesn't do anything(in fact, clear browsing data will never completes, nor does reset settings, I just close the browser after a few minutes).   Canary 97.0.1070.0 has the exact same issue(sites show (canceld), clicking Send Feedback does nothing).  Edge Beta 96.0.1054.13 does NOT have this issue.  I've got 4 machines this is reproducible on and need to know how to send diagnostics in before this insane problem hits beta and finally release completely disabling our ability to use Edge.

@Kent Herring 

Same problem. Edge Dev crashes spontaneously every few minutes, no specific pattern I could attribute these crashes to so far, happens even while Edge is just open and idling. I have cleared cache and cookies, to no avail. 

Update: Edge Dev crashes systematically when I try to add a language (English (USA) in my case) .

benpal_0-1636558569730.png

I sent feedback on these; just sharing them here in case anyone else is interested.

"Search web for image" on the context menu for an image has vanished again. It had briefly reappeared Monday & Tuesday but is gone with the update. Bing too often does not find images that Google finds for the 1st result (or, they are buried way, way, way down in the results). The Bing Sidebar UX is clumsy; doesn't let the user alter the search by entering additional criteria).

On top of the functionality, it is beaucoup uncool to hijack or override the user's search engine choice and force them into Microsoft's service. "Search web for image" and "Visual Search" can (and have) peacefully coexist.
--
PDF scrolling is still not working correctly. The previous experience I reported where text "fattened" on scroll and then returned to normal when the movement was completed has now been replaced by page going blank; unfocused text appears; page clears, repaints with legible text. Feedback submitted.

@foo_bar First let's figure out if the profiles are still on the machine.  Can you go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data, and see if you have old profile folders still in there like Default, Profile 1, etc.?  

@Jason Baginski I've let the team know, so this was a perfectly effective way of reporting!  

@benpal Yours sounds like a different issue, then.  Can you reproduce that crash in Canary as well?  I can't on any of my machines, but I also already have that language installed since I'm in the US, so I can't tell if it's something specific to that language, or something else.  

@CapitalJeff The PDFs going blank when scrolling will have some more fixes next week.  The text looking blurry while scrolling and then focusing is actually the fix for it though, and we're working on improving it!  

@josh_bodner Latest build is crashing very often. Had 6 crashes within 12 hr of update. No fixed pattern, it crashes during regular browsing. One area it crashes always is while doing payment for Azure subscription using credit card.

@josh_bodner Some more places to cash -
1. Attaching parent to a work item in AzDO
2. Updating search term in google search.
3. Writing this comment :(

@josh_bodner  Yay! That's great news as I'd already switched over to Edge on my home Linux PCs (Ubuntu) a while back.

Any chance the Office document preview feature that is available on Edge for Windows and Mac, would be available on Linux too, with the GA release (unless it already is, and hidden behind some config flag 'off' by default) ?