Jun 15 2021 10:57 AM
Jun 15 2021 10:57 AM
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 93.0.916.1 to the Dev channel. Alongside this, we’re excited to announce a campaign to spur extension development and usage: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-add-ons-growth-campaign-june-14th-to-....
Over the next month, users who install an extension can also register to win some awesome prizes: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-add-ons-quot-install-to-win-quot-swee.... For the full rules, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-add-ons-install-to-win-sweepstakes-th....
We also would like to draw attention to an in-depth study of how we recently improved visual accessibility of a feature in the F12 Dev Tools: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2021/06/15/improving-contrast-in-microsoft-edge-devtools-a-bugfi.... There’s a lot to consider when dealing with accessibility, and we think this will be very informative for web devs who want to improve their products in similar way. Now, for everything else new this week:
As always, thanks for all of your feedback!
Jun 15 2021 02:00 PM
@josh_bodner I only just noticed this the other day in canary but apparently it is broken in beta, dev, and canary while still correct in stable. Specifically, the sorting of site names in the password list changed from an intelligent sort by eTLD+1 then the prefix to sorting by the entire host name. The consequence of this is that with the good sort, related hosts are grouped together as shown below.
With the new bad sort order, related hosts are scattered around.
To be blunt, wherever host names are sorted, they should be sorted by eTLD+1 then prefix so that related sites are grouped.
Jun 15 2021 09:01 PM - edited Jun 15 2021 09:03 PM
Hi, is anyone else having memory type error messages using Edge Dev? Only recently I've started to get various messages: "Error code: Out of Memory"; "RESULT_CODE_HUNG"; SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED"? I get a variety of messages when I try to open Google's calendar, and other websites. When I click within Amazon this happens. These errors do not happen within Edge Stable. Only recently this started happening. I've checked memory (16GB Ram); closed everything else out, and still get these messages. I feel like it is something within Dev. I get the same result with Dev In Private mode. I've reset Edge Dev, deleted history, cookies, etc., and still get these errors. Set all Flags to default. No changes. Otherwise my machine is acting normally and so is Edge Stable. The error codes seem to come from certain pages - not all. So maybe something specific within Dev that changed recently? Even when the page says "Out of Memory", Task Manager does not show a resource issue. Using Windows Defender, no 3d party anti-virus, and also tried with all extensions disabled. Thanks, Kent
Jun 15 2021 09:04 PM
Jun 16 2021 01:15 AM - edited Jun 16 2021 01:17 AM
No platform changes, only Edge Dev updates, and with 93.0.910.5 and later, Edge Dev has become pretty unusable.
The issue persists with 93.0.916.1
1. Start Edge Dev
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGhhdPgXG8 (this is just an example that I am using as a test - I am not into fuses...)
3. Video doesn't play and page hangs - with pop-up to close page or wait.
4. Browser Task Manager shows CPU for that tab exceeding 100%, which is weird.
5. Page eventually times out with "This page is having a problem - try coming back later".
- This ONLY started with 93.0.910.5
- The repro is solid
- The issue doesn't exist with 91.0.864.48 in the same environment
- The issue doesn't exist with Chrome 91.0.4472.106
Jun 16 2021 06:59 AM
[Linux] edge://settings/passwords is still blank when there is saved password.
This issue reminds me that edge://settings/importData had displayed blank. Console log indicates it is very similar failure as far as I remember. It looks like no countermeasure is taken for this kind of circumstances...
Jun 16 2021 07:06 AM - edited Jun 19 2021 05:36 AM
I already sent some of these through the Feedback button and posted them on the subreddits but I receive no answer and didn't saw them being mentioned in the known issues list.
Linux related bugs
Tested latest 93.0.916.1 build.
Edge is packaged and run as Flatpak sandboxed app. The source release for the Flatpak is the official Debian deb packaging.
* Ozone is not enabled by default, Google's devs already done this for their 93 unstable builds, please see https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1201165.
As Chrome, X11 platform should be the default because Wayland has still some serious limitations like no support for IME frameworks.
The only downside of Ozone that I know of is that it breaks VAAPI, at least on my system, but the current Edge builds don't seem to even have VAAPI enabled so it doesn't change much ATM, and Igalia will probably fix this, see https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1121948. edit: Scratch that, VAAPI is working with Ozone and is actually enabled in Edge. It seems like I'm hitting a bug that breaks VAAPI but I can work around it by packaging an updated libva version with my Flatpak app.
* Accelerated 3D graphics is broken with Ozone X11.
Ozone X11 issue, not affecting Ozone Wayland or the old X11 backend.
Edge specific bug, no issue with Chrome.
Not a regression, it exists at least since Edge Beta 91.0.864.37.
Basically, Edge is failing to find libGLESv2.so and falls back to Swiftshader and this is only happening with the Ozone X11 backend.
I already added a workaround here to the packaging on Flathub-beta, but it should be fixed in the distributed Edge binary release as this is not happening with Chrome.
edit: I posted more details about this issue here.
* Edge is doing something strange with popup windows on Linux when running as a native Wayland client with Ozone, at least when using Sway as Wayland compositor.
This is an Edge specific issue, Chrome is working correctly.
Some popup windows and tooltips causing Edge to crash, this happens at least with the Element chat web app when opening the app context menu by right-clicking on a room name.
Some extensions like Twitch Now create a mostly transparent popup window with the Edge logo which causes the browser to crash, see the screenshot.
* Changing Overall appearance from light to dark (or the other way around) in one profile doesn't change the selected setting (dark or light) in other profiles but the change actually being applied.
I'm not sure this is even Linux-specific but I haven't tested other platforms.
* Warning when the Extensions on edge:// URLs flag is enabled:
You're using an unsupported command-line flag: --extensions-on-edge-urls. This poses stability and security risks.
This might be a platform agnostic issue but I only tested Linux.
Linux feature requests
* Official Flatpak packaging please, distributed via Flathub / Flathub-beta repo.
Including the Flatpak sandboxing patches from the Chromium packaging to avoid zypak's LD_PRELOAD hack.
Use this chance to provide an aarch64 build as with the Flatpak runtime you only need to support one aarch64 target.
* Add a dedicated button for toggling dark mode.
The overall appearance setting is one of my favorite Edge features considering that none of the Linux Desktop related foundations (Freedesktop, Gnome, KDE, ...) even tried to suggest a dark mode protocol.
Going to the Settings-> Appearance page every time can be annoying so it would be great if we can have a dedicated button to toggle dark mode that could be added to the toolbar or even just to the Ellipsis menu.
Map this button to a hotkey combination or at least allow the user to set it manually.
Also, make the overall appearance setting accessible through the extensions API.
This request might also fit in the platform-agnostic requests below.
Platform agnostic feature requests
* Dark mode: the Edge flag Force Dark Mode for Web Contents should be linked to the overall appearance setting and should only be in effect if the overall appearance is dark. This should help us avoid extensions like Dark Reader.
* Dark mode: set a theme per overall appearance settings and this should be a profile saved setting which is also synced.
* Improved password vault. There's no reason why we should need to depend on services like Lastpass for basic features like password history, manually adding passwords and etc.
* Better session backup, restore, sync, and adopt handling.
Take some notes from extensions like Session Buddy and Tab Session Manager.
* Vertical tabs: map a hotkey for expanding/collapsing the pane.
Maybe have 3 modes for the pane: collapsed, expanded/pinned, and temporarily expanded / auto-collapsing (expand triggered by an event/hotkey and a countdown timer will collapse it back). Make this available through the extensions API.
* Vertical tabs: auto-hide toolbar.
I already have the titlebar hidden, I don't need that toolbar as I have hotkeys mapped to extensions and I'm using Vimium-C to navigate.
* Allow renaming PWAs.
We can name non-PWA apps as we like but not PWAs.
* Sync some global browser settings with the profiles.
This already being done or applied for the Allow extensions from other stores setting.
Some browser settings are actually set per profile and they are not being synced currently, like extensions keyboard shortcuts (edge://extensions/shortcuts).
I guess that it might be wise to tie some of these settings to the specific platform, so sync these settings separately for each platform. For example, hotkeys set in Win10 might collide with system hotkeys of Mac OS.
Of course, make this feature toggleable and allow selecting what to sync.
Examples: Extensions hotkeys, visible extensions icons in the toolbar, appearance settings (vertical tabs, toolbar), enabled flags (per platform), languages settings (like spell check languages),
* Reader view: allow using extensions.
Some extensions could be useful for reader view, like extensions used for navigation (Vimium C, Surfing Keys) or language learning (dictionaries, translators, Chinese Traditional-Simplified convert, adding Pinyin to text, and etc).
* Translate: add keyboard hotkey to toggle page translation state (on/off).
Mobile specific features
* Better session management and adoption/import. The current tab syncing feature is not really what I'm looking for. I want to be able to start a session on my desktop, continue on mobile, and return back to the desktop.
* Tab groups support.
* Per-site cookies policy like in the desktop and allow to override in InPrivate mode
* Vertical tabs. At least on iPad OS.
iOS specific features
* Fix YouTube fullscreen.
* PiP support.
* Bring back the 92.884.2 feature. I'm sure the devs know what it is, it appeared in 92.884.2 and then disappear soon after.
* Gestures: pinch -> all tabs view/overview, swipe from left/right edge -> back/forward in history
Force desktop mode / always request desktop site.
Addons store feature requests/issues
* Dark theme/prefers-color-scheme support, please. The current state is that Edge tries to blind us users at night as there's no dark theme and extensions like Dark Reader can't work in the store.
* Please allow extensions to work on the store pages and also on the Chrome web store so we could use extensions like Vimium-C or Surfing Keys to navigate. Let use at least enable this in edge://flags.
* Addons reviews are too slow. Addons in the store are always behind the Chrome web store.
Jun 16 2021 08:12 AM
Jun 16 2021 10:44 AM
Jun 16 2021 12:49 PM
Jun 16 2021 04:06 PM
Check that discussion from @ericlaw out. Appears to be the same bug, but what do I know?
It should already be fixed in the latest Canary build.
Jun 16 2021 04:48 PM - edited Jun 16 2021 04:50 PM
It is indeed very likely to be the same bug that we had inherited from upstream. 93.923, currently in Canary, has the fix. The fix should be in the next Dev build. Sorry for the inconvenience.
(As an aside, the Upload ID from the edge://crashes page is helpful for us to be able to look at the specific details of any crashes encountered).
Jun 16 2021 05:07 PM
Jun 16 2021 05:15 PM
@BigEd As far as the Settings pages going blank, I'm wondering if it happening when you search has the same cause as when it you go to the passwords management page. If so, I'd expect that once the password page gets fixed, so would searching, so please be on the lookout for the fix for the password page and let me know if searching still isn't fixed at that point.
For the other webpages, do you have consistent examples of ones that go blank, or is it random?
Jun 16 2021 06:17 PM
Jun 17 2021 01:08 AM
So, I have one error:
- Histogram: Microsoft.Accessibility.UIAClient recorded 1 samples (flags = 0x41)
612857738 -O (1 = 100.0%)
BUT the recorded number doesn't increase with further invocation of that YouTube example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGhhdPgXG8)
Once that Youtube tab has hung, F12 is not operational (works on other open tabs, but not this one).
msedge.exe --disable-renderer-accessibility had no effect.
Edgecrash did auto upload I see (upload ID d20b808e-73fc-4297-a845-b8a2aa0c2fd6)
Jun 17 2021 01:19 AM
I am very much missing the extension for quick translations - i ask others to do it too!