Dev channel update to 90.0.803.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 90.0.803.0 to the Dev channel.  We’ve got some cool things to talk about up front, and here they are: 

As for everything that’s new feature-wise: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts in the F12 Dev Tools. 
  • Added support for showing the friendly name of a certificate when viewing its details in the Windows certificate viewer. 
  • Enabled the redesigned, smaller context menus for PDFs by default. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy to control Print Rasterization Mode from Chromium. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a tab. 
  • Fixed a crash when Sharing something. 
  • Fixed a crash when typing into the address bar. 
  • Fixed a crash when using speech recognition on Google websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the Web Widget in Guest windows sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes are blank or frozen after being left alone for a while. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing sometimes fails with a message that it “can’t calculate”. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where filtering cookies on edge://settings/siteData fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge tabs sometimes don’t appear in the Windows Alt+Tab list when expected. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to Modify Edge’s installation from Windows’ list of installed programs does nothing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Edge via a Taskbar shortcut sometimes results in a window that isn’t associated with that shortcut. 
  • Fixed an issue where searching to type in the History or Favorites flyout sometimes stops working while typing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an Edge window by clicking on a website’s notification results in the window not being associated with existing Taskbar shortcuts. 
  • Fixed an issue where newly-installed PWA or websites sometimes get pinned to the Start menu or Taskbar unexpectedly. 
  • Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On doesn’t work for some work/school users. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting into a text note in Collections sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where dropdowns on webpages sometimes prevent users from interacting with other items on the page. 
  • Fixed an issue where interactions with the Password Monitor popup don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong context menu sometimes appears in the Collections flyout. 
  • Fixed an issue where entering fullscreen turns off vertical tabs after exiting fullscreen. 
  • Fixed an issue where search suggestions sometimes don’t appear in the Web Widget. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Web Widget sometimes goes blank or black, but links can still be clicked. 
  • Fixed an issue where Password Monitor scans never appear to finish. 
  • Fixed an issue where the management policy to configure Restore On Start Up URLs sometimes doesn’t work properly when configured as “recommended”. 
  • Removed the ability to pin a website to the Taskbar from the edge://apps context menu. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

As always, we couldn’t do all this without your valuable input! 

65 Replies

@HotCakeX If you think drawing arrows isn't necesssary then why do you think sites do it? I both write websites and support end users. Ask my how many times I have to tell people to click the link to their zoom meeting or ringcentral meeting so I can start a support session with them DESPITE THE ARROW POINTING TO THE DOWNLOAD ON THE SCREEN.  You know what - I'm starting to see how the other users on this forum feel. You are writing a DEV version to get input, but you don't seem to WANT input, you just want to argue for your position. That's not the signs of a good dev.  Trust me. I am one. Sometimes change for the sake of change is not a good idea.

@HotCakeX So let's see. To "improve" the product you're emulating the THIRD BEST PRODUCT ON THE MARKET. Right. That's a good plan.

@josh_bodner ok @HotCakeX  here is an illustration of how "just sticking an arrow in the upper right" doesn't work. Also whenever you click on the any content in the content window unless you have the content pinned, it disappears and the download content is hidden, the same happens if you resize the window in any way.  This does NOT happen with the download bar at the bottom. Even if it can only show ONE file it at least shows that one, always in the same place relative to content.

@Lee Drake 

Why are you Spamming the thread? you can put all of them in one place.

many people are subscribed to this thread, it sends Emails and notifications to everyone. 

Spamming won't prove anything and doesn't get you anywhere. it just annoys everyone and makes people reluctant to read the thread.

there is no need to make arrows to show user where to look for downloads, Edge makes it clear where when a download is offered and asks for user input.

@HotCakeX you're hilarious. As you literally reply to me with 2 replies about the same thing for replying to your 2 replies with 2 different replies. Wow. Troll much?

Hey, the cookies flyout text in Brazilian Portuguese was partially fixed. It only shows the right text when Edge blocks only one third-party cookie in the page. If it's more than one, the old text is shown.
Trying once again - I still have the issue that a new browser windows always opens with an additional "default" tab, although it is set to open recently open tabs. Browser window shows as the following when opened:
<new tab page> | <previously opened tab 1 > | <previously opened tab X...>

Anyone else has this problem?

@cloud_entropy 

Spoiler

@cloud_entropy wrote:
Trying once again - I still have the issue that a new browser windows always opens with an additional "default" tab, although it is set to open recently open tabs. Browser window shows as the following when opened:
<new tab page> | <previously opened tab 1 > | <previously opened tab X...>

Anyone else has this problem?

I'm trying right now, on a fresh Windows 10 installation that i did the other day (latest version) on Edge Version 88.0.705.74 (Official build) (64-bit) (which is also the latest)

in edge://settings/onStartup set it to "Continue where you left off"

and i can not reproduce this issue. I open 3 tabs, close Edge and reopen it, i still have 3 tabs, nothing extra.

I think there is something else causing that problem in your environment. maybe a user configuration somewhere else, maybe a group policy.

what I can say with 100% certainty is that this doesn't happen on a new installation on OS/browser.

@josh_bodner 

I would like to thank you for articles, several people asked me why one specific anti-malware detects Cookie but Windows Defender won't and they complain like Microsoft Edge is NOT protecting their privacy and I need to share same story of cookies over and over. But the article is very helpful.

Good to see new features and bug fixes and hope known issue will be fixed soon.

Since last week's update on Microsoft Edge Dev my browser now states it is setting up sync and this continued in this week's update. 

Looking at sync internals I see that the transport state is configuring data types. 

@alexmakin this is an issue we're currently tracking but don't have a fix for yet.  From logs that other people with this specific error have sent, the underlying error code is NETWORK_CONNECTION_UNAVAILABLE (ERR_TIMED_OUT), which doesn't make sense since they obviously have enough network to send us feedback!  I'd be curious if removing and re-adding your profile helps like it has for others.  

@MattBDev we've only partially rolled out the automatic deduplication to Stable, so most people don't have it yet.  I'm watching the rollout carefully though and plan on removing the item once it's fully in Stable!  

@cloud_entropy As I recall, nobody internally could reproduce the extra new tab on startup issue, so I'm curious if you can reproduce it in a different profile in the same Edge channel, and also in a new Edge channel like Canary (if you're currently using Dev).  If you can, that would seem to point to something on your device that's causing this like @HotCakeX  mentions.  Is this device a personal one or one you use at work?  

Hey, the cookies flyout text in Brazilian Portuguese was partially fixed. It only shows the right text when Edge blocks only one third-party cookie in the page. If it's more than one, the old text is shown.

@eduardobragaxz I think we'll need to count this as a separate bug, so if you wouldn't mind filing feedback for this, that'll create a new bug in our system.  

When I try to "Send Feedback" (or press Alt-Shift-I) it hangs Edge. I tried it couple times with same result.

@mkoninin If you create a new profile, does the same thing happen there?  If so, would it be possible to install a different Edge channel and send feedback from there that sending feedback froze in a different channel?  It will at least get some machine-level logs that could be useful, and will more importantly create a bug in our system.  

Edge is very unusual, in that on 64 bit OS's it's a 64 bit application yet is installed in \Program Files (x86).

@MikeDiack this was something we inherited from Chromium.  They finally fixed it in Chrome last year (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=380177), but we're waiting to integrate that change since we're still actively working on how Edge is installed in other ways, for example how Edge gets onto brand new installs of Windows.  

When starting the browser, the window stays empty for some seconds. I also get this error message:

"Profile error. Some features may not be available. An error has occurred."

@bigfraggle007 as others have seen, this is fixed in current Canary builds and so it should be fixed in next week's Dev.  

@yoSachin I think I replied on one of the older release notes, but what's going on here is that a fix we made for some devices' scrolling behavior has unfortunately regressed the behavior on other devices.  Because of the wide range of device types and drivers out there, there's not really anything we can do to fix everything with just one set of code, so we're instead going to work on a way to choose between the new version or the old version (that worked for you) via a flag, but that will take some time.  

Still encountering the "White Screen" issue on Edge Dev startup in 90.0.803.0. Are you and the team still looking for GPU logs for this or any other logs? If so what's best way to share?

@SeannyFunco I'm glad you asked!  Let me PM you and @Igi_PL and @Superenigmatix44 and @seasickcake7037 and @manania  since you mentioned you still are seeing it (assuming that's what you all meant by liking that message), and anything more you can give us can't be uploaded here.  And if anybody else is still seeing this, let me know and I'll get in touch with you too!  

This morning I uninstalled the Edge Dev browser and selected the option to delete all local content. I then reinstalled the Edge Dev build and now I'm back to working without issues. It did take about 20 minutes for everything to sync back up and get my settings back, but I'm back baby! Thanks for checking in Josh.