Dev channel update to 89.0.752.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 89.0.752.1 to the Dev channel, and it’s a pretty quiet update.  The biggest news is for our Mac users:  following our news in the last update about native builds for Mac ARM chips for Canary, we’re happy to announce that Dev builds are also now available with native builds for Mac ARM chips.  For more details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-native-app-support-in-canary-amp-dev-...

Additionally, we’ve got news about an upcoming setting:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/turn-off-f12-opening-devtools-with-new-edge-setting/....  As for everything that’s new in the product this week: 

Added features: 

• Added an option to Share, Copy and Paste Settings to disable enhanced link copying for links on webpages. 
  • Added filtering capability to Price Comparison. 
  • Added an icon to the PDF toolbar for Find On Page. 
  • Added support for verifying digital signatures of PDFs on Mac.  Note that this feature is still behind a flag. 
  • Finished rolling out Sleeping Tabs.  For more details, see https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/12/09/sleeping-tabs-beta-performance/

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when opening Edge.
  • Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash when Edge has an update ready to install. 
  • Fixed a crash when selecting text in a PDF. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting text in a PDF sometimes crashes it. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing something as a PDF. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing a PDF. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Web Capture. 
  • Fixed a hang when using Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes randomly hangs. 

Changed behavior: 

• Temporarily disabled Single Sign-On on Mac in order to fix failures when signing into certain websites. 
  • Disabled Share on Windows Server.  Note that this is because Share isn’t functional on Windows Server.  
  • Fixed an issue where pages viewed in Immersive Reader sometimes appear to be insecure even though they were originally loaded over a secure connection. 
  • Fixed an issue where unplugging a monitor that an Edge window is on sometimes doesn’t automatically move the window onto a remaining monitor. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain buttons in the Cookies In Use dialog don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where Sleeping Tabs aren’t put back to sleep when an Edge session is restored. 
  • Fixed an issue where some anti-virus programs trigger a warning when viewing Edge Settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to invoke Web Capture sometimes overrides website keyboard shortcuts. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites sometimes can’t prompt users to ask for permission, for example permission to show a notification. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling a PDF using touch sometimes doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting words in PDFs sometimes results in more characters being selected than intended. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t open when Edge is set as the default PDF viewer.  
  • Fixed an issue where password-protected PDFs sometimes don’t open. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t scroll using the middle mouse button. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing using the “Save as PDF” option sometimes causes the save dialog to appear twice. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac OS 11 where Shy UI is sometimes partially occluded by a toolbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where installing a website as an app sometimes shows a dialog that says “Pin to taskbar” instead of install. 

Known issues: 

• Tab drag and drop is broken for vertical tabs. 
  • Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Thanks for everything, and happy new year!  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/happy-holidays-and-happy-new-year-from-the-micros...

37 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Getting screen tearing sometimes when scrolling on this build on a SP7.

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but Edge has been taking longer to load pages as opposed to 87. I've noticed the dots that replace the favicon hangs on the grey ones. In 87, the grey quickly changes to the blue ones.
Same, but on a Surface Go.

@josh_bodner 

I do like that sleeping tabs are now shaded grey, making them easier to detect.

anyone else experiencing some weirdly stiff scrolling?

@KibSquib48 Uhm... how about stuttering streaming videos? Not everytime, but occasionally.

@KibSquib48 Scrolling is stiff in last few canary builds, restarting PC fixed that for me. And I notice that, when it works, it works very good almost like edge legacy. 

@KibSquib48 

@KibSquib48 wrote:
anyone else experiencing some weirdly stiff scrolling?

not with my mouse. maybe only a touch-screen thing?

@josh_bodner Please add an option to hide the caret above new tab page quick links. This is in no way useful rather quite disturbing.Web capture_7-1-2021_165529_newtab.jpeg

@Migue333 同意!而且滚动僵硬,正式版正常

@josh_bodner 

Moving a tab in vertical tabs causing the tab to move to the top regardless how you move it. 

Yes, I have same problem
weird, because I am using a mouse.

@KibSquib48 

@KibSquib48 wrote:
weird, because I am using a mouse.

maybe record a quick video to see how it happens

are you using any flags related to scrolling?

I've got an old scrolling in latest dev build when using mouse wheel. It's like in other chromium based web-browsers, however previously it was like in classic Edge.

I am sad to see that nothing has been done about having the Open/Save-as on the download shelf meaning that use of extensions that provide alternate download bars or dropdown panels now means the user cannot also specify a save-as location (obviously - by definition the whole point of them is that they suppress the native download shelf, replacing it with their alternate shelf or dropdown panel, so the user never gets the Open/Save-as as that is now on the suppressed shelf). This basically wrecks the usage of the considerable number of such extensions in the Edge and Chrome extensions stores (many of which are also available for Firefox).

Either the Open/save-as needs to return to a separate dialogue, as it was in Edge and as it is in the other browsers and as the extensions expect to be the case, or there needs to be an option to switch the Open/Save-as to a separate dialogue so it is still available when the native download shelf is suppressed.

This is particularly sad to me, as the change in December so that middle-clicking on favourtes in the favourites bar dropdown menus left the menus open put Edge ahead of Google Chrome for me, and at least even with Firefox. Thinking Edge was now usable as my main browser (WHEN you get your fingers out with Android Edge and make THAT usable for me), I went to have one evening session using Edge for my actual browsing rather than just using it for particular tests, but the session came to a screeching halt on the first of the many downloads I was going to do when I found no Save-as presented, and a download going somewhere unasked and not completing until I went to find the save-as in the actual downloads page. I have requirements for what I can see in a download shelf/bar or panel while the download is proceeding which is met for me by a particular extension in both Firefox and Google Chrome, and was met for me in Edge by the same extension, but you have now wrecked this (and the many other alternative extensions I could use) by making it so that I can't set the save-as location at clicking to save time while also having the extension provided download shelf or dropdown panel I require.

You have, with this single change, moved Edge back behind - way behind - Google Chrome, and I will return to browsing with Firefox, and using Google Chrome as my backup for the odd occasion I need a Chromium browser, and as my choice to switch to should the troubles at Mozilla make Firefox no longer viable.

I now install every Canary and Dev Edge update, but run each version only once, solely to look in the settings and Experiments to see if there is anything addressing this issue, and trying one download (I have a 'download test' page along with the settings and experiments pages in my On start-up settings) just in case you've done something that doesn't show in settings or experiments, only long enough to see if I get an Open/Save-as presented to me with my download bar extension of choice active. So far, nothing, just a load of cancelled test downloads. And until there is, I won't actually use (or recommend) Edge. For awhile I'll keep on testing each release .... for awhile, but not forever.

You MUST provide an ability, universally or via an option, to have the Open/Save-as presented to the user when the native download shelf is being switched off by an extension. For me this is an absolute, non-negotiable make or break issue for me using Edge.

@DavidGB 

Extension developers need to make their extension compatible with Edge's new download system.

@josh_bodner @Grisha_L 

Spellcheck

I don't see any mention of spellcheck in your release notes, and I no longer see the options at edge://settings/languages. How do I turn spellcheck on and off for different languages now? I don't see the Check spelling options on the context menu, either. What's going on? Has the functionality moved completely to Microsoft Editor?

[PS Sorry if I flagged the wrong Grisha]

Same here.