Dev channel update to 82.0.453.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.453.2 to the Dev Channel.  We also released a blog post last week about some of the accessibility work we’ve done in the F12 Dev Tools.  Check it out here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/03/11/improving-devtools-accessibility/.  We also posted an update on all the work we’ve done on the new tab page here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/creating-a-beautiful-informative-and-productive-n....  It outlines what you can expect in the near future, for example providing more flexibility around the search box in the middle of the page. 

As for everything we added this week that’s worth mentioning: 

Added features: 

• Added a “Recently Closed” section to the History page. 
  • Added the ability to use network provider location as a fallback for when a website requests location but the underlying OS has disabled access to its location API. 
  • Added support for the Roaming Profile Location upstream Chromium management policy. 
  • Added a page to Settings to manage Family Safety settings. 
  • Added a management policy to hide the Family Safety Settings page. 
  • Improved SmartScreen’s blocking of unsafe websites. 
  • Improved SmartScreen’s blocking capabilities when pages have content from multiple sources. 
  • Improved SmartScreen’s blocking capabilities for websites that redirect upon loading. 
  • Improved messaging when syncing of certain data types is temporarily disabled. 
  • Improved messaging on the Downloads management page for insecure downloads that have been blocked. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Previously, the only supported way to prevent this behavior was to uninstall that software. 
  • Fixed a crash when signing into the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on browser shutdown. 
  • Fixed a crash when importing settings from another browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a PWA window. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing video. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when a default search engine management policy is applied. 
  • Fixed an issue where signing in or out of the browser sometimes crashes the Settings page. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM content, such as Amazon Music, doesn’t play on ARM devices. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where attempting to log into Google websites sometimes fails with a message that there’s a problem with cookie settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a link in a PDF sometimes doesn’t trigger a navigation. 
  • Fixed an issue where double-clicking on the title bar doesn’t maximize the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to undo the deletion of a Collection either fails or undoes other actions. 
  • Fixed an issue where items that are copied and pasted into a Collection can’t be deleted from it. 
  • Fixed an issue where closing and re-opening the Collections panel doesn’t automatically open the previously opened Collection. 
  • Improved support in Collections for international currencies. 
  • Fixed an issue where updating a website’s permissions from Settings while the website is open in another tab doesn’t show the updated permissions in the address bar information popup. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Beta or Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Beta and Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, thanks for everything you’ve told us that’s helped make Edge better!

51 Replies

Hi@josh_bodner 

Thanks for the updates, will Microsoft continue with its schedule and release Edge 81 to stable channel soon? or should we all wait for Google team to get back?

@josh_bodner [Bug] Can't set temperature to Celsius in NTP greetings. Setting it in news feed panel get back to Fahrenheit after refreshing NTP.

@josh_bodner 

Two areas that are critical to my continued interest in this product:

1 The changes to the Dark theme.

In Canary you've changed the background tab colours to near black rather than the system accent colour (I hadn't realised that was the system accent colour, just thought you'd picked the same 'Overcast' 118,118,118 colour I have as the accent colour) and lightened the background of the dropdown and context menus. In this Dev there's just the menu colour change, not the background tab one. I'm hoping this is a sign of you taking the time to re-think this, not just that that change is coming but just hasn't reached the Dev channel yet. For me, the old dark theme was so perfect I was using it even when I wasn't normally choosing to use dark themes. Quite unexpectedly, over the last two months I've become very sensitive to large areas of light colour on screen and have been scrabbling to find dark themes I both like and can work with for all the programs on my laptop and apps on my (Android) phone. The former Edge dark theme (both background tabs and menu backgrounds) was so perfect for me I took the time to learn how to change the Firefox Dark theme (with userChrome.css - Firefox is currently my normal browser as Edge isn't up to being my normal use browser at least until you get the history sync working between desktop and mobile) to exactly correspond to the (now former) Edge dark theme in tabs, background tabs, toolbars, Urlbar, dropdown menus and panels, context menus, even extensions that open panes over or in the browser interface … and then also replicate the Edge theme by modifying the dark theme in Thunderbird, my email client of choice. But the new Dark theme in Edge, menus as in Dev and background tabs as here, is truly awful to me. For one (but by no means the only) thing, when I have a fair number of tabs open (which is almost always) I cannot easily make out the active tab's very dark grey in amongst the almost black background tabs. For me it is quite unusable. This single change would have me bidding Edge farewell, and just thanking the dev team for providing me, with the former dark theme, a template to make my Firefox and Thunderbird look the best they ever have with both attractive and very usable dark themes given my new need for such themes.

I believe you are making a fundamental mistake - the same mistake as the Microsoft Launcher team made last year with two successive beta updates that simply drove me to pay for Nova Launcher Premium. Some users volubly request something, and you just assume that everyone else also wants - or at least will be indifferent to - the same thing. You appear not to consider that some users will not just like the way the feature was, but it may well have been one of the things that drew them to the program in the first place. They're not voluble simply because they don't know you were thinking of changing it (or simply don't contribute to these forums anyway, like most users). When some want some UI change, you should see it as a request to add OPTIONS, not just change things.

For me this is a make-or-break issue. If other people want near black background tabs and lighter menus that's fine with me ... as long as I can retain what I had in those respects. Revert the change;  or have an appearance setting switch that the user can use to select the old dark theme or the new one (I don't care which is default); or put colour selectors for the background tab colours and menu background colours into settings. I don't care about the mechanism, but if you force the 'new' dark theme colours, I'm off.

2 The vertical scroll behaviour

Currently Edge has two vertical scrolling modes - call them 'touchscreen' and 'traditional desktop', as determined by the scrolling personality flag. Before I knew about that I just thought the scrolling was broken. It now appears that you intend to force 'touchscreen' mode on everyone when it's 'better'. The only touchscreen I have is my phone, which uses Android Edge, not this Edge. I use this Edge on a non-touchscreen laptop and expect proper, desktop-like scrolling from my programs on it. If I wanted a touchscreen device I'd get one and look for good touch-screen adapted apps for it. I don't. I want a proper desktop type scrolling - and HAVE IT NOW with that flag disabled. Why, WHY would you get rid of the great, solid appropriate behaviour you already have. For Goodness sake - all you should do is add a switch in settings to turn 'touchscreen scroll mode' on or off for the user to flip depending on hardware and taste instead of a hidden flag. That would be a plus point for the program, and you need all the plus points you can get given that classic Edge failed to find enough market and you guys basically need to convert a mass of Google Chrome and some Firefox users if this Edge is going to succeed. You need OPTIONS, not limits, and to e.g. offer a choice of scrolling modes. Not rip out a perfect scrolling mode suited to all the users NOT using touchscreens.

Do the smart thing, re-think this and just add a settings switch to switch between the existing touchscreen and non-touchscreen modes.

@josh_bodner Duplication of favorites and the failure of deduplication is also seriously broken in part because of the bad throttling of the sync endpoint.  Devices cannot sync with no error reported.  It used to be that I only had to wait about four hours before inappropriate throttling would time out.  It took over 24 hours after I deleted all favorites from all Edge installs for it to stabilize.  Before deleting everything, I could just sit and watch favorites be duplicated then removed over and over in a loop on multiple devices and channels while doing nothing but watch.

Beyond problems with the sync protocol itself, when is the broken throttling going to be fixed?

When are sync errors, including any failures due to throttling, going to be reported in the UI instead of Edge just silently failing?

When will Edge on the PC have an explicit sync now feature like that present in Edge mobile?

When is the PC version of Edge going to report the last successful sync time like is reported on Edge mobile?

I have the exact opposite experience. the new theme suits me better, had to install 3rd party themes to get the result i have now on Canary.

so who should they listen to?

@HotCakeX Did you reply to wrong message.  I didn't mention themes.  I discussed how sync is seriously broken.

@rshupak 

@rshupak wrote:

@HotCakeX Did you reply to wrong message.  I didn't mention themes.  I discussed how sync is seriously broken.

what?

@HotCakeX Are you asking how it is broken?  Read my message for some examples.  It has plenty of issues, some UI, and more importantly, sync itself is not reliable and does not work correctly.  The failure mentioned in the release notes of deduplicating on multiple channels is either an incomplete description of the failure or there are other flaws.  I suspect that throttling of the backend API is a factor.  It was before but the APIs have changed and I no longer see the HTTP response reporting throttling but I see similar behavior, the clients stop syncing.  The PC clients report nothing.  The mobile clients may just spin forever, complete without doing anything or reporting an error, or report that sync failed without explaining why and offering to submit feedback.

@rshupak 

Spoiler

@rshupak wrote:

@HotCakeX Are you asking how it is broken?  Read my message for some examples.  It has plenty of issues, some UI, and more importantly, sync itself is not reliable and does not work correctly.  The failure mentioned in the release notes of deduplicating on multiple channels is either an incomplete description of the failure or there are other flaws.  I suspect that throttling of the backend API is a factor.  It was before but the APIs have changed and I no longer see the HTTP response reporting throttling but I see similar behavior, the clients stop syncing.  The PC clients report nothing.  The mobile clients may just spin forever, complete without doing anything or reporting an error, or report that sync failed without explaining why and offering to submit feedback.

Dude...i was replying to someone else

fff.png

@HotCakeX Sorry.  I hate the email notifications I receive not showing that.  My mistake.

@josh_bodner 

I want to know when can I use the new version of Edge to play high quality Netflix video.It is important to the user of the old version Edge. 

Hi there, I got some weird slide bouncing on the screen while watching a screen sharing on Microsoft Teams on the new chromium edge. When switched to teams on google chrome the presentation got stable. Not sure what it is.

@josh_bodner wrote:
  • Fixed an issue where users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Previously, the only supported way to prevent this behavior was to uninstall that software. 

Didn't have this issue previously (using Bitdefender Antivirus with Windows Defender on periodic scanning), and I got the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION problem minutes after I updated to 82.0.453.2.

@little_terry @josh_bodner Could not set Celsius on the prior version to this update either. Reported in Feedback.

@ascendhu 

@ascendhu wrote:

@josh_bodner 

I want to know when can I use the new version of Edge to play high quality Netflix video.It is important to the user of the old version Edge. 

Hi,

you mean 4K ?

you can if your hardware meet this criteria

fdsdsf.png

* 4K Ultra HD exclusivity is limited to PCs running Windows 10. 4K works in both Microsoft Edge and Netflix app. Only 7th Gen Intel® Core™ processor or higher devices can decrypt PlayReady 4K DRM. Netflix Ultra HD plan required.

** Requires Dolby Audio-supported PlayReady content and multi-channel capable surround sound speakers. Additional fees may be required.

*** Requires Dolby Vision-supported PlayReady content and capable hardware.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/features

Ok, why is this not pinned to top? After all it is the latest .....

Dennis5mile

@josh_bodner Any update on set-aside tabs?

@josh_bodner Thanks for the welcome new features and fixes! Any idea what is being done about Save As or Run, as in Edge HTML? I find the Run option very useful.