Dev channel update to 82.0.446.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.446.0 to the Dev Channel.  For this week’s most noteworthy new additions: 

Added features: 

• Added a capability to Guided Switch to ask to switch to a work or school profile when work or school content is being opened in a personal profile. 
  • Added better drag and drop support for Collections. 
  • Added support for more websites to properly add price and rating information to a product that’s been added to a Collection. 
  • Added support for the Native Window Occlusion management policy from upstream Chromium. 
  • Added the option to the Manage Search Engines management policy to allow search provider discovery. 
  • Added improved messaging to accounts that aren’t able to sync to explain why they can’t. 
  • Enabled the new Fluent designs for webpage controls like the calendar picker or dropdown on Mac. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where high CPU usage is seen when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue where showing the “Move to another window” menu sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when syncing favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key when typing in the Address Bar sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix fails to play with error D7356 on certain devices. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing the surf game. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a tab with a PDF document out of a window and into its own window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch for 32-bit Edge when Windows Information Protection is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work when certain VPN extensions are installed. 
  • Improved the reliability of updating after Edge hasn’t been updated for a while. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed one cause of audio being randomly muted. 
  • Fixed an issue where address bar history is sometimes not properly deleted when the browser is set to delete browsing data on close. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the favorites deduplication tool causes the option to show only the favicon to get reset for some favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where dialogs that are opened from IE mode tabs appear behind the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the Taskbar icon for a window that has a dialog open in an IE mode tab doesn’t also bring the dialog to the forefront. 
  • Fixed an issue where languages in Settings can’t be selected to “Offer to translate pages in this language”. 
  • Fixed an issue where expected popups on certain websites don’t work when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to reset the zoom level to 100% doesn’t work in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking shortcuts on the Taskbar to PWAs sometimes launches a regular Edge window instead of a PWA window. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes/dots drawn on PDFs can’t be erased. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes or dots sometimes aren’t properly drawn on PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where users can’t save payment cards locally because the option to do so is missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where internal pages like Extensions or Favorites sometimes can’t be scrolled. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDF files aren’t opened in an external application when the setting to do so is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where DirectInvoke doesn’t work when SmartScreen is disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where a message saying you’re required to sign in using a work or school account sometimes appears even when you already are. 
  • Fixed an issue where some products that are added to a Collection don’t have the proper number of ratings. 
  • Fixed an issue where windows opened via Guided Switch sometimes don’t have any UI (tabs, address bar, etc.)
  • Reduced the number of times you need to sign into a website after it’s been moved to another profile via Guided Switch. 
  • Reduced the number of prompts to save a password when the field being saved is a CVV for a payment card. 
  • Reduced the number of times an item in a Collection has no image associated with it. 
  • Improved the first-launch experience of Application Guard after taking an OS upgrade. 
  • Improved messaging on ARM64 to explain why Flash isn’t available on that platform. 
  • Improved the color of the title bar for PWAs. 
  • Removed the ability to add all tabs from an InPrivate or Guest window to a Collection. 
  • Removed support for the Share feature on versions of Windows prior to Windows 10.  

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, we appreciate all your suggestions and your help finding bugs! 

100 Replies
I hope they bring the fluent an edge style for windows soon.

@josh_bodner 

For me the biggest hole at the moment is the lack of History (and currently open tabs) syncing - especially syncing with the Android version. In fact I'm rather astonished that you released a first stable release still without that very fundamental feature. Yet you put all the effort onto collections syncing when the Android version doesn't even do collections. (It's all very ironic at the moment: desktop Edge does collections but Android Edge doesn't, while Android Firefox Preview does collections while desktop Firefox doesn't. Maybe you and Mozilla should look at syncing desktop Edge with Android Firefox and each give up the other platform. :smile: )

The biggest irritation, that makes Edge feel really sloppy (both Dev and Canary) is that if I have a page open that is full width displayed (no horizontal scroll bar) but long, if I quickly scroll vertically - repeated two fingers flips up or down on my laptop touchpad - the page contents WOBBLE from side to side within the tab frame. It does it a bit when scrolling fast down and a LOT when scrolling fast up. Makes it feel like some shoddily made real world object with poor part size tolerances that wobbles and clatters when it should be solid.

There is zero chance of me using it until:

1 History (and open tabs) syncing between desktop and Android Edge.

2 You get rid of the scroll wobble on fast vertical scrolling, which just feels very disconcerting and like desktop Edge has been coded by amateurs.

3 Android Edge gains either (a) the ability to use the Dark Reader extension, or (b) the built in Settings>Themes>Dark>Darken website function that can be enabled (via  chrome:flags) in Android Google Chrome. (built in version preferable, but extension OK if it doesn't bog down performance). I've gotten too sensitive to all the acres of white background websites to use a browser that doesn't have an option to 'dark mode' the actual page contents (Android Chrome has the built in option, while Android Firefox can use the Dark Reader extension); and the importance of having desktop and phone browsers sync means the Android browser needs to be acceptable to consider using the desktop browser (and vice versa).

There are other things, but at the moment those are the top ones for me.

Actually, for me you are in a race with Mozilla at the moment. I'm waiting for the ability to darken websites (as described above), built in or able to use the Dark Reader extension, in both Android Edge and Firefox Preview Nightly (currently I use the extension in current Android Firefox, but that makes it clunky and current Android Firefox is due to be supplanted by Preview soon, or the built in function in Android Google Chrome). Whichever of you. Microsoft or Mozilla. does it first will likely get me using your desktop and Android browser for the foreseeable future.

@DavidGB I agree that these two are the things that needing adding/fixing before I would use the browser full time. History sync is important for obvious reasons and why does it try to scroll sideways like that when there is nothing to scroll to? It would be great if there was option to turn that off.

I'm still waiting for the option to refresh all open tabs and not just the active one.

@Fabio_Rosolen 

@Fabio_Rosolen wrote:
I'm still waiting for the option to refresh all open tabs and not just the active one.

You can do it already

How to refresh all tabs or some tabs at the same time and do other bulk actions

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/how-to-refresh-all-tabs-or-some-tabs-at-the-same-...

Yeah Mozilla Firefox is a better competitive browser for Android than Chrome. they also have more than 1 browser.
I need the proper option like the one on Edge UWP.

@Fabio_Rosolen 

@Fabio_Rosolen wrote:
I need the proper option like the one on Edge UWP.

How is that not proper, exactly? it provides all of the options from Edge legacy plus more.

One click with the option on Egde UWP.
Just one click.

@Fabio_Rosolen 

@Fabio_Rosolen wrote:
One click with the option on Egde UWP.
Just one click.

That is problematic and counterproductive.

sometimes I only want to refresh my tabs from only one website, not all open tabs. with that option I can't choose which tabs I want to refresh, I'm forced to refresh all tabs together. but with the new Edge, I can choose which group of tabs I want to refresh. this is a lot better and more proper.

and 1 or 2 clicks don't matter that much, specially for the benefits it has.

@Fabio_Rosolen 

by the way, if you want 1 click refresh, this extension does exactly that, it's awesome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/reload-all-tabs/midkcinmplflbiflboepnahkboeonkam/related

@josh_bodner 

Added a capability to Guided Switch to ask to switch to a work or school profile when work or school content is being opened in a personal profile. 

I'm don't think this is working correctly.  I was using my personal profile and tried accessing work content/sites and was not asked to switch profiles.  However, when I went to login to this forum while still using my personal profile the new guided switch appeared to switch me to my work profile....even though my personal profile was the correct one for this site.

How is it decided what is work content and what is personal content?  To access the work sites I was first redirected to our SSO service which I assumed would have been the trigger to switch profiles.

Regards

Mark

@josh_bodner  And tap and hold on links to open context menu is broken...again. Another week dissatisfied with this Edge on tablet scenarios. Oh well, let's see what next week brings.

@DavidGB @josh_bodner

"...repeated two fingers flips up or down on my laptop touchpad - the page contents WOBBLE from side to side within the tab frame."

I misread that and used two fingers on my laptop touchscreen. It wobbled (like a jitter) significantly when I held the two fingers steady or moved slightly. I didn't notice any wobble with the touchpad.

Regards,

Dan

@josh_bodner  This build seems to have broken the title bar double-click action of Restore/Maximize.  I use that a lot.

@josh_bodner  Related to my post above:  On touch screen (Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 7), tap and hold on title bar does not show context menu.  Tap and hold on a tab still works fine.

@josh_bodner I have faced the issue when using Collections feature.

I have more than 10 collections in the list. I try to add the current website to collection that have position 11(in the collections list) but I can't do that because Edge just list out first 10 item in collections list from 1 => 10, I can't do same with another collection that have position greater than 10. Please verify this.

@josh_bodner

@josh_bodner wrote:

[...]

"Fixed an issue where clicking the “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option crashes the browser. "
[...]

I am quite unsure about this since I can't find that feature and I've never heard of it, even though I'm eagerly waiting for it. Are you referring to "Add all tabs to favorites" ? Otherwise, could you please point me to the context menu you're thinking about ?

@Graymatter 

@Graymatter wrote:

@josh_bodner  This build seems to have broken the title bar double-click action of Restore/Maximize.  I use that a lot.

Yeah, that was an issue that existed in Canary channel for 1-2 days, it got fixed, but now the problem has come to Dev channel, so you most likely have to wait for the next week's update to receive the fixes.