Dev channel update to 82.0.439.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.439.1 to the Dev Channel.  We also posted a new blog post last week detailing our work to protect you from potentially unwanted applications.  Check it out here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/02/27/protecting-users-potentially-unwanted-apps/.  As for all the new things worth mentioning this week: 

Added features:

• Added the ability to customize the size and color of ink when annotating PDFs. 
  • Added a service to suggest an address to try when a navigation to a website fails due to a typo in the address. 
  • Added support for syncing Tracking Prevention exception settings. 
  • Added a button in Settings to make Edge the Default Browser. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting text in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where syncing favorites with the Stable channel of Edge sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where undoing an action taken by the Favorite deduplication tool crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where declining to save a password via the dialog sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where entering Immersive Reader sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are displayed in an IE mode tab crash the browser when they display a geolocation dialog. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when opening an IE mode website from a pinned shortcut. 
  • Fixed an issue where hitting F6 sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where the act of deleting a Collection on one machine will crash the Collections pane on another machine if it’s open when the deletion is synced in. 
  • Fixed a crash when changing Settings. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch. 

Changed behavior:

• Fixed an issue on Mac where some Appearance Settings are missing. 
  • After saving a PDF file from within the PDF viewer, the saved file will become the currently-viewed one instead of the original one. 
  • Fixed an issue where recently visited sites don’t appear in the address bar as search suggestions. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Windows dialog to choose an application to use when opening a particular type of file keeps opening in a loop when selecting Edge as the application. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain internal pages like the Favorites management page don’t respond to touch drag and drop. 
  • Fixed an issue where Windows Information Protection (WIP) sometimes doesn’t work when copying contents out of work or school-related Office documents. 
  • Fixed an issue where users of WIP can’t access work or school websites in InPrivate.
  • Fixed an issue where playing video in fullscreen sometimes hides part of the video. 
  • Fixed an issue where closing a tab when the Guided Switch dialog is open messes up the visuals of all other tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the button to leave a dangerous website that’s been blocked by SmartScreen disables the back/forward buttons on the address bar. 
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot sometimes fails to be taken. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “Multiple profile preferences” section appears in Settings when only a single browser profile exists. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting Collections that have locations like hotels or restaurants in them to Excel results in data missing in the exported spreadsheet. 
  • Temporarily disabled WIP support on 32-bit Edge to prevent a crash on launch. 

Known issues:

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, thanks for all the feedback you’ve given us and bugs you’ve found! What’s your high score in the surf game? 

50 Replies

"Added a service to suggest an address to try when a navigation to a website fails due to a typo in the address. "

This is great!

@MissyQ 

"Fixed an issue on Mac where some Appearance Settings are missing. "

Still missing my Appearance settings; even after a clean install. I have also tried using a different profile to see if it was potentially tied to my user profile settings after a sync but no luck there either.

@sgilder Appreciate you reaching out to let us know! You have updated to the current version listed here, yes? Rollout can be slow sometimes, and it's possible you're not on this latest build. You can ensure you are by navigating to edge://settings/help in the Dev channel. Double check for me and we can go from there! :)

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@MissyQ 

Apologies! I had just downloaded directly off the insider site (https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/) so I assumed it was the latest build. Looks like I am currently still on Version 82.0.432.3

I'll check back in a few hours and see if the update is available.

@sgilder No worries, friend! Keep me updated for sure. :D

@MissyQ 

Updated and the Appearance settings have reappeared :cryingwithlaughter:

Sorry again for the confusion earlier!

sgilder_0-1583365761127.png

Will the inking feature on PDF's eventually support pressure sensitivity when using a Pen like the old edge did? I would hate to have to adjust the size of the ink constantly.
Hi Missy, I don't know if it's just my computer or not but I couldn't this link to ever connect to the site:https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/02/27/protecting-users-potentially-unwanted-apps/ Thanks, David
Ah I thought something felt different when inking in comparison to the old edge, this must be it!
Thank you for "Automatic Profile Switching". Great idea to implement!

@MissyQ wrote: 
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot sometimes fails to be taken. 

I am still seeing black screenshots when I create a new piece of feedback, is this what you call "failed feedback screenshot" :smile:

Either way, black screenshots are still an issue for me. I've filed feedback, of course :smile:

Does anyone know if you have to uninstall and reinstall the browser to get rid of what originally caused the bug? If so, that could be what is causing the issue to persist.

Yes, try uninstall, remove user data during uninstall when asked, and then fresh install your browser again. that's how to get rid of the black screen. after this it shouldn't happen again on Dev and Canary channel

@MissyQ 

Finally touch drag and drop for the favorites management page, thanks a lot!!!

Now you only have to get it work on the favorites bar as well. 

Oh, and of course make the fullscreen dropdown available for touch, too.

Then we tablet users will be completely satisfied and can eventually deploy Edge.

Greetings

@MissyQ 

Cant get it, why "Continue on PC" still opens old Edge. Any suggestions, please?

@MissyQ 

I also still have black screenshots, on Dell and HP laptops, using Edge Dev and Canary.  Could it be related to graphics drivers?

I have Intel HD Graphics 520 in one, Intel HD Graphics 4000 in another and my VM uses VMware SVGA 3D too, which I connect to with RDP.

@MissyQ 
Just reported a scroll issue with tablet & pen.
please ignore, as it solved itself after a pc reboot.

cheers for the updates! :)

@Tom_Fox 

@Tom_Fox wrote:

@MissyQ 

I also still have black screenshots, on Dell and HP laptops, using Edge Dev and Canary.  Could it be related to graphics drivers?

I have Intel HD Graphics 520 in one, Intel HD Graphics 4000 in another and my VM uses VMware SVGA 3D too, which I connect to with RDP.

On latest Dev change logs it says the problem is fixed. fixed means it shouldn't happen again but if you are still seeing black screen shots on feedback window, reinstall your Edge browser and delete user data when asked during uninstall.

@MattBDev @DRelliot90 @Neon01  I know the team is working on a variety of improvements for touch devices, but have no info on this specific piece of feedback (pressure changes for ink thickness). Please submit feedback through your touch device so that the team can have information on what devices you all are using. The more data, the better! (Submit more if you already submitted in the past. New data is better, too!)

@Davy49 I am able to hit the site, so it might be device specific. Can you try another device or another browser on the same device? Let me know if you still see those issues.

@michael3m Continue on PC currently only supports the Stable build of Edge. Install that, set it as default in your Windows Settings, and give it another shot. You should be all set.

@Tom_Fox Please try out the troubleshooting steps that @HotCakeX provided above. Looks like that should help you out, but please let me know if it doesn't.