Dev channel update to 81.0.410.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.410.1 to the Dev Channel.  We’ve also got our quarterly survey available to take here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/surveys/quarterly-survey-january-2020/m-p/1138394.  Please let us know how we could better interact with you on the Tech Community forums! 

Next, we’ve got a new how-to over on the Enterprise section:  how to disable the First Run Experience:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/how-to-hide-the-first-run-experience-in-the-new-mi....  There’s also a new blog post explaining our work to localize the F12 Dev Tools:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/02/04/localizing-edge-devtools/.  Finally, all of the most noteworthy features and fixes for this week: 

Added Features: 

• Added a keyboard shortcut to enter Immersive Reader mode. 
  • Enabled support for cards saved in MSPay to be used in webpages. 
  • Enabled Dolby Vision support for capable devices. 
  • Added support on Mac for reading PDFs protected with Microsoft Information Protection (MIP). 
  • Added a limit to the amount of text that can be added to an item in a Collection.  Note that we are still measuring this limit and may adjust it in the future. 

Improved Reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on startup when sync is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites crash upon load. 
  • Fixed a crash when starting a download. 
  • Fixed a crash when manually importing data from other browsers. 
  • Fixed a crash when searching for text on a webpage. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleted favorites sometimes re-appear when another device tries to sync. 
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Application Guard causes high CPU usage when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where enabling SmartScreen causes high CPU usage when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue where there is sometimes a delay when opening a new window before anything loads. 
  • Fixed an issue where webpages that use the Windows credential prompt for logging in crash the browser when showing the prompt. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes don’t open. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when closing the Collections pane. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening the Collections pane sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating to certain websites for Collections users. 
  • Fixed an issue where syncing a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser for users of extensions. 
  • Fixed an issue where disabling Internet Explorer in Windows and then attempting to use IE mode causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites sometimes don’t load in Application Guard windows after updating Edge.   
  • Improved the reliability of syncing favorites with long names. 
  • Fixed an issue where Collections that are created while sync is off don’t get synced once sync is turned back on. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain encrypted PDFs can’t be opened. 

Changed Behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the trackpad gesture to scroll is sometimes interpreted as a right-click on certain devices.  Note that this fix comes with the tradeoff of sometimes dropping the gesture to right-click (which is a two-finger tap by default), which will be fixed in the future.    
  • Fixed an issue where Edge’s update progress reporting in Settings isn’t accurate. 
  • Fixed an issue where swapping between the News and Office New Tab Page contents also resets the layout. 
  • Fixed an issue during the first run experience where clicking cancel when customizing which data types to sync results in those data types still being selected for sync. 
  • Improved messaging on the Sync Settings page for when a particular data type is disabled server-side even though sync in general is enabled and functional. 
  • Fixed an issue where the autoImportAtFirstRun management policy stopped working.   
  • Fixed an issue where certain data types sometimes aren’t imported from another browser properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are pinned using the Pinning Wizard aren’t pinned properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking certain links in PDFs does nothing. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to scroll a webpage by very large amounts sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling on a webpage sometimes causes pages to jump to the beginning or end instead of scrolling the expected amount. 
  • Fixed an issue where the identity button has an incorrectly-colored background. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Translate icon sometimes is not seen in the address bar when it should be. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging images into a Collection from certain websites fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding a page to a Collection sometimes results in the wrong image being used. 
  • Fixed an issue where data and images from certain websites aren’t properly added to Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to close a window after downloading a file in an IE mode tab sometimes results in a warning not to close the window due to an in-progress download even though the download already completed. 

Known Issues:

• The dialog to install a website as an app sometimes doesn’t appear.  In those cases, interacting with the address bar or navigating in the same tab will sometimes bring it up. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to try to find a fix. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that some of these fixes don’t yet exist in the Stable channel, and the issue only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

We expect next week to be the final Dev release for version 81.  In the meantime though, thanks for all your suggestions and all the bugs you’ve found! 

57 Replies

Bonjour,

Je ne vois rien de prévu pour corriger le problème du volet des Favoris qui se ferme dès que:

• on fait un middle-clic pour ouvrir dans un nouvel onglet;
  • on fait clic droit + ouvrir dans un nouvel onglet.

Sur Edge Legacy, le volet restait ouvert, donc on pouvait faire plusieurs middle-clics à la suite pour ouvrir plusieurs sites dans de nouveaux onglets.

Avec le volet qui se ferme, ça oblige à cliquer sur le bouton Favoris pour l'ouvrir à nouveau, et aller chercher le Favori que l'on souhaite ouvrir.

@josh_bodner @Elliot Kirk 

Why has this text not been translated to English as that is my language of choice.

Annotation 2020-02-07 094148.jpg

Also, why when I select/highlight the text and right click it to bring up the right click context menu there is NO "translate selected text" or just simply "translate"

Annotation 2020-02-07 094244.jpg

This is in Canary Version 81.0.416.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

It's a forum thing.

the forum auto translates posts and comments that are not in your language but sometimes it takes time

fdsfsd.png

Yeah, I see that message, but it still does not explain why "translate" is not on the right click context menu. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it should be when you select/highlight text that is in a different language than that of what you have as your default language..... That was one of the great features of the old edge.

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

Spoiler

@Dennis5mile wrote:
Yeah, I see that message, but it still does not explain why "translate" is not on the right click context menu. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it should be when you select/highlight text that is in a different language than that of what you have as your default language..... That was one of the great features of the old edge.

Dennis5mile

Well Yes but it was never on the new Edge before.

I want this feature too

@sialivi This isn't limited to using the reader.  It scrambles text on a variety of pages, under a variety of circumstances, even when doing nothing but casual surfing.

That's right, it happens no matter what user does

@HotCakeX I believe we're intentionally not syncing the icon-only state right now because different devices may have different screen sizes, and thus we think you might want a different favorites bar layout, but @candicepoon can fact check me.  

why "translate" is not on the right click context menu. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it should be when you select/highlight text that is in a different language than that of what you have as your default language..... 

@Dennis5mile yup, we've got lots of requests for that!  The very first scenario we implemented for the translator was whole-page translation, so we've still got lots of work to do to add on other scenarios.  

@lindhartsen I've the same bug (or should I say a feature?). Also there is a french error since many version and still uncorrected.

2020-02-08_12h53_59.png

I've also the glitch about text rendering mentioned by other people but it's really random. 

I'm reading alot of fanfiction on fanfiction.net, where the pages are nothing BUT text...so I'll see...at least 30 separate instances of this happening during the course of a typical session(which for me is hours' long).
Spoiler

@MissParagon wrote:

@lindhartsen I've the same bug (or should I say a feature?). Also there is a french error since many version and still uncorrected.

2020-02-08_12h53_59.png

I've also the glitch about text rendering mentioned by other people but it's really random. 

This will most likely get fixed in the next Dev. already fixed in Canary since 3/4 days ago :)

@josh_bodner @HotCakeX Yup, that's correct! We wanted users that had multiple devices with different screen sizes (our favorite one is a Surface Studio owner who has a Surface Go for travel) to have control of "Show icon only" for each device. We are exploring a way to set this setting for multiple favorites so it's more efficient. 

Thanks for clarifying, so I won't be expecting it to be synced in the future.
I'm mostly a desktop user with 1080p screen. my reason for setting favorites on the toolbar to icon-only is so that I can have more favorites visible on the favorite bar. and it would be convenient if I could have the same experience on all of my devices.
I don't have any use for tablets. I've got a Galaxy note 10 plus, a 15 inch laptop and a PC at home.
IMO tablets have very specific use cases, mostly light workload.

@MissParagon can you please file feedback about the translation issue?  That'll put a bug in our database so that we can get it fixed!  

@josh_bodner i have edge with chromium Version 80.0.361.48 (Official build) (64-bit) how do i download Version 81.0.410.1 (Official build) (64-bit)

@Sade4love 

@Sade4love wrote:

i have edge with chromium Version 80.0.361.48 (Official build) (64-bit) how do i download Version 81.0.410.1 (Official build) (64-bit)

From the official Edge insider page:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

@Sade4love you're probably on a different channel.  Our current Beta and Stable builds are on version 80.0.361.xx, so on the webpage that HotCakeX shared, you'll need to download the Dev or Canary channel.