Dev channel update to 80.0.345.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.345.0 to the Dev channel!  We’ve also got an exciting update over on our blog about how our Tracking Prevention feature is evolving:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/03/improving-tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-79

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed:  favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication.  However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled. 

Added features: 

• Added support for erasing ink using the eraser side of a pen.
  • Added support for using the arrow keys and spacebar to draw on feedback screenshots in editor mode.
  • Added SmartScreen protection from downloading potentially unwanted apps.
  • Added Extensions and Collections toggles to the sync Settings page but keeping them disabled in anticipation of syncing for those data types being enabled soon.
  • Added dark theme support to certain UI that appears when the browser is managed by Group Policy.
  • Added dark theme support to the local new tab page that is shown when the device isn’t connected to the internet.
  • Added a group policy to enforce whether or not headers and footers are added to printed pages.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where highlighting text on a webpage sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser UI sometimes appears to hang or turn all black, but it still responds to input and can be fixed by killing the GPU process.
  • Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes crashes the tab.
  • Fixed a crash on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where adding multiple pages to a Collection from the same tab sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails or overwrites an existing exported Collection.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where users that are signed into Windows with a work or school account are unable to remove the “Work” account that is automatically added to Edge.
  • Removed the link to Manage Favorites from the Other Favorites folder on the Favorites Bar.
  • Changed the button in Settings that switches which profile is active to open a window to a new tab instead of to Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where typing the address of a website that’s already been visited doesn’t properly autocomplete the name of the website in the address bar dropdown.
  • Fixed an issue where some of the privacy links in the First Run Experience open in a new tab in the background instead of in a popup.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking links in a Collection sometimes causes the Collections pane to show an error page.
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes causes a second empty card to appear as well.
  • Fixed an issue where a Collection that’s updated in one window sometimes isn’t updated in another window.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections that are exported to Word sometimes don’t have the images get properly exported.
  • Fixed an issue where items exported from a Collection have an incorrect date applied to each reference.
  • Fixed an issue where invalid URLs can be dragged and dropped into a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling PWAs or installed websites doesn’t also prompt to delete browsing data for that site.

Known issues:

• The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

As always, we’re very thankful for all of your usage and feedback! 

104 Replies
Can we please have Canary change logs too like this?
you guys did it once but that was just it. Canary updates are not released daily most of the time anyway so I don't think it will be an issue. Thanks
Is DNS-over-HTTPS not supported properly yet?
Enabling edge://flags/#dns-over-https doesn't seem to do anything, 1.1.1.1/help shows that DoH is not enabled.
DoH in Firefox works fine, and 1.1.1.1/help shows that DoH is enabled when visiting it from Firefox.
Canary 80.0.351.0 but probably same story with current Dev build.
It's working for me on Dev 80.0.334.4

@keyblade 

@keyblade wrote:
Is DNS-over-HTTPS not supported properly yet?
Enabling edge://flags/#dns-over-https doesn't seem to do anything, 1.1.1.1/help shows that DoH is not enabled.
DoH in Firefox works fine, and 1.1.1.1/help shows that DoH is enabled when visiting it from Firefox.
Canary 80.0.351.0 but probably same story with current Dev build.

Hi,

try setting your DNS in your Windows IPv4 settings

1.png

I set it only in my router and the cloudflare DNS test didn't detect it, but after setting it in the Windows 10 IPv4 setting, it worked.

Edge insider Version 80.0.351.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Annotation 2019-12-03 224040.png

Also to be more secure, use it system wide, Simple DNSCrypt:

https://simplednscrypt.org/

I use quad9 dns in the Ipv4 settings, but with the flag enabled, Edge changes them to cloudflare ones and doh is enabled

@FedeDiLo 

@FedeDiLo wrote:
I use quad9 dns in the Ipv4 settings, but with the flag enabled, Edge changes them to cloudflare ones and doh is enabled

That's weird, in the flag description there is no mention of Cloudflare

Secure DNS lookups

Enables DNS over HTTPS. When this feature is enabled, your browser may try to use a secure HTTPS connection to look up the addresses of websites and other web resources. – Mac, Windows

#dns-over-https

there are lots of DNS servers offering their services over HTTPS, I wonder why Edge uses Cloudflare by default!

@josh_bodner Is the much thicker title bar on installed edge apps as of the previous update a design choice or a bug? I seems consistent over a number of devices, but personally I'm not a big fan.

Hmm, yeah, forcing DNS in adapter settings works although I had to do /flushdns in addition to that. Well, still I would've really preferred if DoH in Edge was set up similar to Firefox without relying on the DNS set in the network adapter settings so hopefully MS will make it work similar to FF.
The way it works in Firefox is you have a separate option for DoH in the network settings page where you can use custom DNS address or use Clourflare (comes as a default), no DNS setup required in the adapter settings.
I think Chrome either doesn't require DNS set in adapter setting or you can circumvent it by using launch parameters in addition to enable DoH flag.

Yeah i would like something like that too. Firefox uses its own network settings, you can set proxy settings inside Firefox that will only apply to it and not the rest of the system, SOCKS5, HTTP, HTTPS/SSL etc, even DNS over SOCKS5

I remember creating a topic about it 2 months ago
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Add-SOCKS5-Authentication-support-to-Edge-insider...
but didn't receive so much attention from developers unfortunately

no Google chrome needed to set DNS in network adapter in order for cloudflare website to detect the DoH, it was exactly like Edge insider, I'm using Edge and Chrome both Canary channels.

I was pretty sure I read cloudflare somewhere in the flags lol
That's fine for me, I just switched again from cloudflare to quad9 dns, I like both.
But if the browser changes them to cloudflare ones that's fine for me

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.345.0 to the Dev channel!  We’ve also got an exciting update over on our blog about how our Tracking Prevention feature is evolving:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/03/improving-tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-79

• Added SmartScreen protection from downloading potentially unwanted apps.

Two flags for some features mentioned in the OP post...

Annotation 2019-12-02 154224.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-02 154327.jpg

Both flags have been in Canary for a few days on my system, but have now been added to Dev as of the latest version of Dev today.....

There are more new flags in the Current version of Canary for you all to find....

Dennis5mile

p.s.  The tracking prevention one is in "addition" to the flag that is there already for tracking prevention.....

I need an option to understand what the default state corresponds to.
I don't like enabling 5628 flags when 70% of them are already enabled by default,
In opera I have a [E] or [D] next to default

@josh_bodner 

I just stumbled upon this new PDF highlighting feature, wouldn't find it myself without this post

Annotation 2019-12-04 001048.png

it works perfectly.

dsads.png

can't wait to see these colors for the drawing pen as well :)

@FedeDiLo 

@FedeDiLo wrote:
I need an option to understand what the default state corresponds to.
I don't like enabling 5628 flags when 70% of them are already enabled by default,
In opera I have a [E] or [D] next to default

Oh that is Really helpful. Edge should specify their state too

@josh_bodner 

• Fixed an issue where users that are signed into Windows with a work or school account are unable to remove the “Work” account that is automatically added to Edge.

Still not working for me. I have deleted my profile. I still get signed in every time with my domain account and I cannot remove it or sign out of it.

I have also tried using a GPO to disable it but this does not work either -- https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Enterprise/NonRemovableProfileEnabled-GPO-preference-does-not... . This will 100% stop my deployment of Edge at work. When I started testing Edge Dev I was not signed into anything at all without my consent. It started in a generic Profile which is what I would like. I will decide when/what users will sign into Edge, not Microsoft :)

I tried with the old version and the drawing didn't work.
Now it's the same, when i try drawing over a pdf it starts drawing, but as soon as i take the pen off the screen, the drawing disappears.

@FedeDiLo 

Yeah exactly, I even have some PDF files that the drawing option is grayed out on them

Annotation 2019-12-04 002109.png

I checked and the PDF file is neither blocked nor set to read-only.

Hope the team reads us lol

@josh_bodner 

This is still not working for me. I have deleted my profile. I still get signed in every time with my domain account and I cannot remove it or sign out of it.

I have also tried using a GPO to disable it but this does not work either -- https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Enterprise/NonRemovableProfileEnabled-GPO-preference-does-not... . This will 100% stop my deployment of Edge at work. When I started testing Edge Dev I was not signed into anything at all without my consent. It started in a generic Profile which is what I would like. I will decide when/what users will sign into Edge, not Microsoft :)