Dev channel update to 78.0.244.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders!  Today we released build 78.0.244.0 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  As promised last week, this is the first release out of the version 78 branch, and quite fittingly, it’s packed with new features and fixes.  Some of the most significant ones include: 

New features and behavior:

• Added an option in Settings to choose between light and dark themes.
  • Added the ability to import cookies from the existing version of Edge.
  • Added a policy to enable deleting browsing data upon exit.
  • Added a policy to prevent downloads from being marked as unsafe when they come from a trusted source.
  • Added what version of Edge a management policy is supported on to the list of policies.
  • Added dark theme support to the feedback screenshot editor window.
  • Added dark theme support to the first-run sign-in popup.
  • Added dark theme support to the browser sign in error popup.
  • Added a confirmation when enabling sending Do Not Track requests.

Fixes for improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where Edge Canary crashes on launch on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF file sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating between pages in IE mode sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix would sometimes fail with error D7111-1331.
  • Fixed an issue where items on the Favorites Bar sometimes don’t respond to clicks when a folder is open.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” phase.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails without showing any error.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that were supposed to automatically sign in using the account that the browser is signed in with don’t get signed in properly.
  • Fixed an issue where saving PDF files sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where zooming in on a PDF sometimes causes form fill to fail.

Fixes for improved behavior:

• Fixed an issue where links that would launch other applications don’t work in IE mode.
  • Changed the tiles on the new tab page to show the page’s title when hovering over them instead of the page’s address.
  • Removed Read Aloud from browser pages like Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools feedback (smiley face) button sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs with restrictions (on printing, copying text, etc.) are not getting those restrictions enforced.
  • Fixed an issue where PDF scrolling doesn’t work properly on some PDF files.
  • Fixed an issue where using the arrow keys to move the text cursor in PDF forms sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience showed two checkboxes to allow browsing data to sync across devices.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Save Page As command appears twice in the File menu.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the language the browser is displayed in sometimes isn’t the preferred language as defined by the OS.
  • Fixed an issue where an empty tooltip appears when you open a menu like the … menu.
  • Fixed an issue where the geolocation usage notification sometimes remains after leaving the website it applied to.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra scroll bar sometimes appears in Reading View.
  • Fixed an issue where a desktop shortcut is sometimes being created when removing a profile.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping IE mode tabs will sometimes cause them to show the wrong zoom level.
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads page cuts off its content when the window size decreases instead of resizing it.
  • Fixed an issue where the sync confirmation dialog isn’t wide enough to fit its contents.
  • Fixed an issue where some browser pages like Favorites don’t get dark or light theme applied until the page is refreshed.
  • Improved the light theme in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where some icons like the new tab page icon aren’t properly updating to a lighter color when the browser is switched to dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the buttons on the PDF toolbar don’t change state when you interact with them.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

116 Replies
Jason, how, may I ask, do you come to have such a plethora of extensions?

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

@josh_bodner Regarding "Added a policy to enable deleting browsing data upon exit.": The latest policy file (from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/enterprise?form=MB1101&OCID=MB1101) is from 08/09/2019. Will there be an update of the policy file as well soon?

Hello to you, too

If you are putting screenshot and browser in the same sentence, you must not be talking about screenshots... Me thinks you are meaning something more like pageshots, lol. Anyway, sounds like Add notes that we have in Edge. Until it is in Edge C, I can suggest an extension from the Chrome Store. It is called Clipular. Will do Add notes types of things + Share. Also, of course, aside from any browser, you always have Snip & Sketch in the OS.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone
Yep, I`m a Extension lover
When I use Firefox before the Quantum version release, I have more extensions than ever.

If the Insider Extension store open for public developers, may be I will write my own extensions for it.
Are you sure it is not? You sure you cannot submit? Maybe I am thinking of Store Apps not, extensions.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone
The Microsoft Edge Insider Addons page don't give me a hint.

I mean extensions for Edge C store, not original Edge`s in Windows 10 store

I keep seeing that request in these release notes and it's been my default browser for a while now. If this is about an OS that isn't Windows 10 maybe you should be more specific in your request. In Windows 10 you can easily do that as @DavidGB wrote

It's in the three-dots menu, below Extensions. However I've read that the team is doing an A/B testing on it so I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't get it

@josh_bodner 

Still missing the IE Mode for non Enterprise users.

Would like to see the option "Open in Internet Explorer Mode" for ALL websites, NOT only for a listed internal Website. 

Reason is, many IoT Devices like Digital Video recorders, Webcam, Switches, Telecommunication systems, IP telephones and other browser enabled gadgets need ActiveX/Flash/Internet Explorer specific functions.

I was informed, that later after Edge Chromium installation Edge and IE will removed from User access, so their is definitely a NEED for non Enterprise customer to have the IE Mode. This would be then the only way to open that IE specific webpages!!

@Drew1903 we are an enterprise customer and already have an enterprise site list in our environment, which is most likely why it's already working. I also did enable the flags to force it enabled.

@josh_bodner  Please fix the inability to stream xfinity.com/stream on a Mac

And every time I update Dev Edge, it deletes my allowed flash sites.

OK, I'm now curious. In Edge Dev I have a space between the R and the e in Reopen closed tab (so 'R eopen closed tab') in the right-click menu of tabs and the tab bar, but @Drew1903 doesn't. Does anyone else see the erroneous space  in that menu item, or is it just me?

My right-click tab menu again:

extraspace.png

Still eagerly awaiting for that login and sync profile to finally work on O365.

@Deleted Certainly a better alternative to what is currently implemented :D 

I'm not seeing this either.

@josh_bodner I'm seeing my pinned Edge dev live tile on Start (full screen mode) as just a blank, black tile on more than one PC. Issue started with new update to Edge dev. I already reported this, but thought I would mention it here as it also happened on a PC with different hardware but same Start setup and Edge Dev build.

@Rahsna Asurac

Have you restarted the computers since the Edge Dev update? I find that the Start live tiles for all 'Store' apps go black after an update until I do a computer re-start (which I find very annoying, but on the other hand is often the first time I notice they ave updated).

@DavidGB I have now :grinning_face_with_sweat:

Thanks for mentioning the thing about restarting :)

It's still blank black though.

On a side note about the app store update live tile bug: For me, they don't turn completely black when updated, just transparent with a stuck update progress bar at the bottom of the tile - So maybe it's a variation of the app update live tile issue? Microsoft Edge Dev is not an app from the Store so I am guessing that this is a separate bug.

@josh_bodner I'm seeing a lot of instances of sites "randomly" throwing the "Too many redirects" error page. (This has been happening for several versions of Edge Chromium now.) It's clearly a cookie issue because clearing my cookies fixes it. (And I can confirm the site isn't having any issues by switching to a different browser.)

Chrome has the ability to clear cookies for specific sites which is most useful for situations like this instead of the nuclear option of deleting all my cookies and forcing me to log into every site I visit again. Would love to see this in Edge Chromium!