Dev channel update to 78.0.244.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders!  Today we released build 78.0.244.0 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  As promised last week, this is the first release out of the version 78 branch, and quite fittingly, it’s packed with new features and fixes.  Some of the most significant ones include: 

New features and behavior:

• Added an option in Settings to choose between light and dark themes.
  • Added the ability to import cookies from the existing version of Edge.
  • Added a policy to enable deleting browsing data upon exit.
  • Added a policy to prevent downloads from being marked as unsafe when they come from a trusted source.
  • Added what version of Edge a management policy is supported on to the list of policies.
  • Added dark theme support to the feedback screenshot editor window.
  • Added dark theme support to the first-run sign-in popup.
  • Added dark theme support to the browser sign in error popup.
  • Added a confirmation when enabling sending Do Not Track requests.

Fixes for improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where Edge Canary crashes on launch on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF file sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating between pages in IE mode sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix would sometimes fail with error D7111-1331.
  • Fixed an issue where items on the Favorites Bar sometimes don’t respond to clicks when a folder is open.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing sometimes gets stuck in the “Initialization” phase.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails without showing any error.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that were supposed to automatically sign in using the account that the browser is signed in with don’t get signed in properly.
  • Fixed an issue where saving PDF files sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where zooming in on a PDF sometimes causes form fill to fail.

Fixes for improved behavior:

• Fixed an issue where links that would launch other applications don’t work in IE mode.
  • Changed the tiles on the new tab page to show the page’s title when hovering over them instead of the page’s address.
  • Removed Read Aloud from browser pages like Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools feedback (smiley face) button sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs with restrictions (on printing, copying text, etc.) are not getting those restrictions enforced.
  • Fixed an issue where PDF scrolling doesn’t work properly on some PDF files.
  • Fixed an issue where using the arrow keys to move the text cursor in PDF forms sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience showed two checkboxes to allow browsing data to sync across devices.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Save Page As command appears twice in the File menu.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the language the browser is displayed in sometimes isn’t the preferred language as defined by the OS.
  • Fixed an issue where an empty tooltip appears when you open a menu like the … menu.
  • Fixed an issue where the geolocation usage notification sometimes remains after leaving the website it applied to.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra scroll bar sometimes appears in Reading View.
  • Fixed an issue where a desktop shortcut is sometimes being created when removing a profile.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping IE mode tabs will sometimes cause them to show the wrong zoom level.
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads page cuts off its content when the window size decreases instead of resizing it.
  • Fixed an issue where the sync confirmation dialog isn’t wide enough to fit its contents.
  • Fixed an issue where some browser pages like Favorites don’t get dark or light theme applied until the page is refreshed.
  • Improved the light theme in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where some icons like the new tab page icon aren’t properly updating to a lighter color when the browser is switched to dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the buttons on the PDF toolbar don’t change state when you interact with them.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

116 Replies
Good news!
Thanks!

Testing... :)

Good news! Thanks! Testing... :)

We lost the ability to sync to Work Accounts.
It was working fine in the last build.

@Deleted The same thing happened here... In the previous version, we had a working sync for our Azure AD identities. With this update, it displays the "sync is not enabled for school or work accounts" message again... Is this intended behavior?

@josh_bodner So glad to finally see the Share button! Will I ask too much if demand the option to always show it on the toolbar, like in the old Edge?

@josh_bodnerNetflix player is still buggy.

@Deleted, @AndreLengton syncing for work accounts is currently under a controlled rollout, which is why it hasn't been mentioned in the release notes yet either.  

"Fixed an issue where items on the Favorites Bar sometimes don’t respond to clicks when a folder is open."

Thank you.
thanks for the clarification.

@josh_bodner Excellent, in the last update, there was an error that broke the searching bar, making my search results displayed in Bing instead Google...now it's fixed.

Still waiting until you can add the option to make this as our default browser, so I can get rid of Google Chrome.

Can't you do that in the computer settings? Edge Dev is offered as an option to be the default web browser in Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Web Browser in my laptop Windows 10.

The right-click menus over tabs and the tab bar still say 'R eopen closed tab' instead of 'Reopen closed tab'.

@josh_bodner under the new "Read aloud getting better with the cloud," you mention the "Settings & more" menu.  When I click the three dots I see "Settings" but not "Settings & more."  Am I misunderstanding or missing something?  Thanks!

@galaxytechsolutions  If you hover the pointer over the three dots and read the tooltip, rather than click on it, it says 'Settings & more'.

Gotcha, thanks!
Yup, that's how I did it. I find Edge Dev uses way less system resources than chrome, especially when streaming video - so I made it default asap!

@SOI_7 I'm not seeing any "Share" button on Edge Dev. Where is this?

@josh_bodner thanks, IE mode is working as intended again!

@josh_bodner  Something I was reminded of, earlier today, when I'd reported a bug in an extension that's available for both Google Chrome and Firefox, and the Chrome version also works in Edge Dev, installed from the Google Chrome Store. I agreed to check and report back on the hopefully fixed version the developer very quickly produced and put up to both the Firefox and Google Chrome extension stores.

In Firefox, quite reasonably, there is a 'check for updates' to click on in the Firefox Extension page. In Google Chrome, quite weirdly, there is no 'update' control to check for updates for extensions unless you enable 'Developer mode' - for no good reason I can think of, and I can imagine many ordinary users (a) would be wary of enabling something called that, and (b) wouldn't even think that might produce a 'check for updates' button anyway.

I see Edge Dev is following Google Chrome in this at the moment and I had to enable 'Developer Mode' to get an 'update' button for extensions to then get the updated extension I wanted to test (and it was fixed). I really cannot see any reason for or logic in the extension update button being hidden behind 'developer mode'. Could you please just put the extension update check button out in the regular extension page, and not follow Google in this silliness.