Collections feature request: Let us mark a collection for offline usage

MVP

If we could mark a collection to be available for offline usage, when we don't have Internet connection, that would be great and could eliminate the need for reading list feature from the classic Edge.

11 Replies

@HotCakeX, this is an interesting capability, would you expect that the entire page get saved, or just the link and whatever metadata gets pulled out today?  Thanks - Elliot

Hi, Thank you, currently only the links to the contents gets saved locally and I assume you're planning on adding it to the sync too. now if you add the ability for users to be able to mark a collection to be available offline then it would allow them to review their saved stuff in the collections without Internet connection, like on the go or on a trip.

so the default behavior would be to add only the link of the web contents to the collections and it also gets synced too, but if the user needs to have access to those contents while offline, they can do so by clicking on "make it available offline" or something like that. also the offline/online state of the collections should be synced as well. so that when you have 2 devices and you mark a collection on of them to be available offline, the same collection will be automatically downloaded on the other device too, for offline usage.

@Pitape @Deleted 

Thanks for the support, hope it gets pushed to the under review list

@HotCakeX, thanks a lot for this idea. I may have more questions to help me clearly define expectations of an offline Collection. For now I will add this to our backlog as a feature request so we can consider this especially if others are asking for it. I find the sync scenario you mention very interesting as well, that if you set a Collection to be available offline, that all devices would get the offline version.

I'm a Program Manager on the Collections team, so if you have other feedback please let me know.

Thank you again,

Darryl

Hi,
Sure i'll be glad to answer any questions regarding that.
yes there are other suggestions, please take a look at my previous post:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Edge-Collections-Feature-request-and-bug-problem-...

the 8 items I wrote about in that post are the rest of my feedback, together with this, they can greatly improve collections feature and use cases for everyone.

Thank you very much :)

@HotCakeX thank you again! I will read and reply to the that post as well. I want to make sure your ideas and feedback are captured, so as others ask it can help us evaluate what to build next.

Darryl

Sounds great, appreciate that!
您好,什么时候可以使用?
It's just in the suggestions phase right now :)