SOLVED

Can't import favorites from html-file to Edge DEV

Copper Contributor

How it does work in Edge Beta & release versions:

Go to the options in "Favorites" & click import. I'll get a pop-up giving options on how/where-from and what i want to import (as far as available for the how-option, HTML-file only exports favorites). This can be done from the favorites menu in the browser taskbar as well as from the options on the favorites page.

In Edge Release and Beta i can then choose the path to the file, where-upon it imports as expected.

How it doesn’t work in Edge DEV:

In Edge DEV however, i get the  “import “ button right away in the 1st pop-up and can’t choose the path. There-after i do get a new pop-up stating the favorites are imported but obviously that isn’t the case.

Even when the html-file is opened in Edge DEV, the browser doesn’t give the option to import from there. Then again, Edge Beta and release versions don’t do that either, seems to me this “works “ as intended.....

Exporting the bookmarks from Edge DEV works OK. That is, when the HTML-file is imported to another browser, i tested with Brave release client.

It’s for safety reasons of the email accounts that i use Edge Beta and DEV, + Chrome Beta. I am not a DEV, just a layman.

I’m on a temp loaner pc, as my newly bought custom build pc shortcirquited and is back in the shop. Old pc broke down 1½ week before i planned the new pc. In Windows 10 and now 11 i had local accounts on the pc, not using the MS account system.

Untill febr. this year i maintained a compromized website from a volunteer organisation where no-one had full access to remove the corruption, while also managing some email accounts for volunteer organisations as well as a bunch of my own. Besides checking phisher & some rare malware sites at game-platform Steam + a littlebit elsewhere. Hence, with a batery of 11 browsers on the new PC i might finally opt for synchronisation but did not yet come around to do so. Still not gonna use profiles within the same browser, as i need all my bookmarks to be available for most of the accounts.

Edge DEV Versie 103.0.1264.2 (Officiële build) dev (64-bits)

Edge Beta Versie 102.0.1245.22 (Officiële build) beta (64-bits) 

Edge Release client Versie 101.0.1210.53 (Officiële build) (64-bits)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz   3.20 GHz

Geïnstalleerd RAM-geheugen 4,00 GB

Type systeem 64-bits besturingssysteem, x64-processor

Editie Windows 10 Home

Versie 21H2

Installatiedatum ‎24-‎5-‎2022

Build van besturingssysteem 19044.1706

Ervaring Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

3 Replies
Same problem for me in Edge DEV at edge://settings/profiles/importBrowsingData
best response confirmed by Arjan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I can also reproduce this problem, so let me ask the favorites team about it.
Importing favorite bookmarks from HTML-file into IE and then from there to Edge DEV works all right.
Note, i wouldn't know about importing settings, passwords, cookies, open tabs etc., as that's not in the file.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Arjan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I can also reproduce this problem, so let me ask the favorites team about it.

View solution in original post