[⚠ Bug] "New Tab Page" has strange behavior when Edge is not connected to the internet

Iron Contributor

It seems that there is a bug in showing the "New Tab Page" when the computer is not connected to the internet! In this cas the page is not showing, what I expect.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Run MS Edge.
2. Disconnect from internet.
3. Clear browsing data. (optional)
4. Press F5 on the "New Tab Page".

Excpected behavior:

• The "New Tab Pages" looks as described in the table.
  • Pressing once F5 after reconnecting shows the missing items.
Internet stateExcpectet items (if enabled)Picture
connectedeverything is shownimage.png
not connectedshown: search bar, direct links, settings icon, image if cachedimage.png

Actual behavior:

• The "New Tab Pages" looks as shown in the table.
  • For reloading the failed page I have to press F5 two times. (Not working after clearing browser data.)
Browser stateShown itemsPicture
connecteverything if enabledimage.png
reconnected and pessing F5 two timeseverything if enabledimage.png

disconnect

search bar and direct linksnoNet_inspirational.png

disconnect and clearing browser data

Edge icon and search barnoNet_focused.png

disconnect and clearing browser data; then reconnect and pressing F5 two times

Edge icon and search barnoNet_focused.png

If you also have seen this bug please feel free to comment or giving likes.
(This feedback was also sent via feedback button within Microsoft Edge, including logs, images, detailed description and a link to this discussion.)

7 Replies
Hi,
Which channel/version?

this is not happening when a custom picture is set as the NTP background. only happens on daily pictures.

@HotCakeX 

Channels/Versions: Stable (80.*) and Canary (84.*)

I have the problem also with my own image.

And the problem I had described is, that without internet some features aren't shown (for example the settings menu of new tab page) and after also removing browsing data the whole tab page is shown with the default edge logo an only the search bar.

Also I would expect that pressing F5 after reconnecting shows me all items. But this didn't work directly. I have to press F5 to times.

htcfreek_0-1586798837015.png

@htcfreek Thank you for submitting feedback, the devs appreciate it! (And you definitely get a metaphorical gold star for that table, it's super helpful. :stareyes:) I'll also pass this along to the New Tab Page team and see if they can confirm what the intended behavior should be.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@htcfreek I brought this back to the product team and they had some interesting insights. You may be aware of some of this already, but I wanted to share it all just-in-case.

1. Due to certain elements being cached or non-cached, it is expected for the settings gear to not show when the New Tab Page is disconnected from the internet
  2. Similarly, if you clear the browsing data, it is expected that the cached content would also be removed. Thus, you'd see a simplified version, with just the logo image and the search bar.
  3. If that isn't aligned with what you expected, can you tell us more about how you were hoping the page would behave when disconnected and/or cleared? Or, what would your ideal outcomes be in those scenarios?
  4. The team was not able to reproduce the 5th scenario in the table with F5 -- if you haven't yet, can you please submit diagnostic data through the browser? (Shift  + Alt + I)

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

3. If that isn't aligned with what you expected, can you tell us more about how you were hoping the page would behave when disconnected and/or cleared? Or, what would your ideal outcomes be in those scenarios?

I think it would be a good Idea showing a "no network icon" instead not showing the settings gear, when no network connection exists. On hover the icon you can show the following text: "No internet connection. Some elements can't shown."

Then the user is informed why some things aren't shown.

NTP_idea_Networkinfo02.png

@Deleted 

4. The team was not able to reproduce the 5th scenario in the table with F5 -- if you haven't yet, can you please submit diagnostic data through the browser? (Shift  + Alt + I)

If I press F5 after reconnecting I would expect that Edge reloads the NTP completly and presents me the settings gear, my direct links, etc. Instead Edge is only reloading the shown local NTP. But when I open a new tab then I see the correct NTP with settings gear, my direct links, etc.

[See attached Video.]

=> I will also send both point via feedback button in Microsoft Edge. For point 4 I will also include detailed logs, etc.

@htcfreek Great, thank you for that cool mock-up and for submitting those logs. I will share this post with the team, too. However, if you'd like to make sure that the feedback submission gets directly to them even quicker, feel free to send me a DM and I can help.

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted 

I have submitted feedback for both points. For one of the submitted feedback I have an answer that the team is working on. But I don't know for which because of the identically text summary in both e-mails.