Bing search engine with "NEW* CoolStart - Custom New Tab Page"

Iron Contributor

Hello everybody, every time i add this extension " NEW* CoolStart - Custom New Tab Page" from Microsoft store, it changes my search engine to Google as a default and does not allow me to control, i tried this extension setting but i found no where to manage. what could be the problem?

24 Replies

@MarsMas  Hi there- I just downloaded this on my Macbook 2010 series and it works fine- after installing from chrome web extensions you have to click the small pop-up in the top-center of the screen, and chrome will give the option of remaining with the chrome web browser or if you select the " Keep it!" option you will have access to all of the various wallpapers available when using the Cool Start "fire" browser. 

Have a great day and stay safe with Covid and everything.

-Chris Golding

(PS- use Chrome not edge as it is faster and costs nothing to make a google account; trust me it is better by and large!)

HI HotCakeX,

This isn't a malicious extension as far I have known; it is a good extension for a new tab with many themes to pick from. When I tried it with the John Deere/Horse theme last year, it worked fine with default search engine as Google but now it only works with Bing. Not sure what is going on, should I remove this extension.
HI MarsMas,

The cool start browser extension does not change your default search engine, if you use the Edge URl bar, it will go to Bing if you use the floating text box on the website, then it is google :)

have a wonderful day!

PS: Edge will automatically disable the extension by default after installing if it changes your search engine

HI MarsMas,

I found a solution for this issue, just set the Microsoft Rewards Extenstion from the store enabled and you will be able to use the search bar in the coolstart new tab to search with Bing!

have a great day!