Better fullscreen support on touch screen devices (including Surface!)

Brass Contributor

Edge says "Press F11 to exit fullscreen" when I don't have a keyboard attached. I read in fullscreen a lot without a keyboard. Please make the little popup tell us how to actually exit fullscreen when a keyboard isn't attached - I always just sort of flail around doing random things until the little X appears.

Also, in old Edge swiping down while in full screen showed the app chrome (address bar, tabs, etc) without exiting full screen. That was an awesome feature. Please bring that back. I am constantly entering and exit full screen to switch tabs and stuff.

25 Replies

You're welcome,
well if you or me or anyone else buys something, it's not because we love a company, it's because we NEED that device or software so we go on and pay for it. you could pirate a software too but then you will have to deal with its legal aspects.
so I think in business and personal needs, "love" is irrelevant.
I don't love Apple as a company for various reasons, neither do I love Google, but sometimes I NEED and HAVE TO use their services/products and I am FORCED to pay money for it, because If i don't, I will be a criminal. simple as that.

I don't think anyone loves to pay money to a company, specially the big multinational companies, I think what everyone loves to do is to get things for free.

Also there is no "real Edge", Microsoft Edge browser got replaced and this is the new one based on Chromium, both of them are real and official.

I think you may have misunderstood my use of the term "love".  

I don't love Microsoft, and I don't love Apple. 

I prefer using Microsoft products over some other companies because; I think they are better products (both software and hardware) than most of the alternative (especially the Surface line), Microsoft is less evil than some other companies (who make money buy selling information gathered through "free" services), Microsoft products are generally a better value than say Apple. 

What I meant was that as a customer who has purchased expensive hardware from Microsoft "I'm not feeling the love" when they arbitrarily replace the the browser experience on that device with one that works less well. 

I'm well aware that I can continue to use the original browser and I do. But part of the equation with Surface and Edge was that while it was imperfect, it would continue to improve over time. Now it won't. 

I don't argue with their decision to change the rendering engine to achieve compatibility. What I disagree with is their decision to drop development of what they want me to now call "Legacy Edge" before "New Edge" achieved essential feature parity with it. From where I sit they aren't even working on it. It's very frustrating. 

I use new Edge as a replacement for Chrome, because I'm uncomfortable with google in general, but I have to use some web apps for work that don't work with Legacy Edge. 

I'm waiting for the singularity - when I can stop having 2 browsers installed, without losing essential functionality. 

I'm not sure how piracy enters into the conversation. 

I appreciate your comments, and assistance in bringing some visibility to this issue. It's an important issue, and one that is under-discussed I guess because a lot of Surface users are under-using there devices or have not yet installed the new Edge. 

Again the way you say it is like Edge legacy is completely wiped from the face of earth and we are forced to use the new stable version of Edge.

I'm on the most updated version of Windows 10 1909, there is no automatic rollout of new Edge yet. I still have access to the legacy Edge.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/better-fullscreen-support-on-touch-screen-devices...

Never said anything like it's wiped from the face of the earth. 

I will say this - It has been orphaned. You've said it yourself (I think) - it's not getting any more updates. 

I consume a lot of text based media on my surface, and I like to do that full screen. I see no indication that this is being worked on in the chromium version. They added the bit where you can long press near the top to get out of full screen, which makes it barely usable. 

I should not have to use 2 different browsers. If they are no longer developing Edge Legacy, they should be prioritizing feature parity on their own hardware. I've seen no mention of this issue since November, other than this thread.  

It sounds as if you think my frustration is unjustified. 

What i say is that if you like legacy Edge then use it, it's not going anywhere, no need to use 2 browser and definitely no need to be frustrated, the transition is smooth, switch over to new Edge once everything is complete, probably few months later

@adamrdrew 

Here's the best workaround I've been able to come up with.

You should be able to activate the touchpad and leave it active. To get it 90% out of the way, you can drag it of the screen in the lower right corner leaving just enough of it visible to drag it back onto the screen when you need a mouse.

This should work well in conjunction with the #edge-enable-shy-ui flag as well. 

I guess this is the best solution we're going to get from Microsoft. They should at least document it, since it seems they have no interest in fixing the underlying problem they've created. 

Here's a demo https://youtu.be/oTiMV6VVpmM 

I'm using Canary in this video, and for some of the actions I used a real mouse (hence the pointer), but only to facilitate the screen recording.