About most proper way to report a Startup boost issue experienced whenever I suspend OS...

Brass Contributor

@ MS Edge Product Team,  (please note that I just simply edited some content on 9/13 to only make some things clearer and obviously not to repost it at all, also if you should believe Enterprise might be a better board for posting then feel just free to redirect it there since I've no idea if I might be able to do this by my side...)

since after I started only using 'accessory' features of 'Startup boost' (so meaning that only 'Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed' and 'Use hardware acceleration when available' were enabled) I noticed that whenever I was suspending OS (in memory), after I resumed it I could quite find these 2 things :

1. a 1 byte ('flag') file 'edge_shutdown_crash.txt' simply containing "1" character (inside 'C:\Users\<myAlias>\AppData\Local\Temp'),
  2. a new 'GUID-like-name'.dmp crash file (i.e. like 9ae5f8e8-a11c-46e6-be43-0d1aa61d9a73.dmp; 67c6c17c-708c-48bf-9017-2eb7ac42f6e1.dmp, and please note these are real crash report names, probably last created ones, whose names I've been able to recover) added inside 'C:\Users\<myAlias>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\reports' folder that I started monitoring manually after I experienced 1st dump little after I installed Edge Enterprise (Stable)  (it was even also self-reported by an Edge wizard that asked me for approval before sending it).

If I'm recalling things correctly I probably found 'Use hardware acceleration when available' already enabled since the beginning and left so (unless I enabled it), then after I better also checked that 'Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed' was available too I enabled it to also possibly get resulting benefits too.

I started seeing issue with Edge (Enterprise) v92.0.902.73 (Official build) (64-bit), while now I'm on v93.0.961.38 (Official build) (64-bit) but decided to disable 'Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed' after checking that number of .dmp files into ...\Crashpad\reports was only growing even if 'Help improve Microsoft products by sending optional diagnostic data about how you use the browser, websites you visit, and crash reports' was enabled since when I 1st installed Edge Enterprise and this also stopped new dump creation (at least only temporarily because this morning 09/13 I verified a new one was created because of resuming laptop suspended into memory even while simply only having 'Use hardware acceleration when available' still left enabled and about this I also updated another new discussion with even some more details).

My problem is that I'm unsure if by using 'Send feedback' with [ Recreate my problem ] I can really provide you much more details of what I'm saying here because I'm unsure if diagnostic data recording can survive properly whenever my laptop OS gets suspended in memory, and then resumed.

P.S. Last moment update, right before completing and publishing this post I checked again ...\Crashpad\reports and found that was empty :o so now I'm also wondering if  all those reports were properly sent to you (as I would expect) or simply self cleaned to avoid wasting space (unless this simply happened because a newer version update was just queued and pending to be applied...).

It also seems that every 'GUID-like-name'.dmp should also have a corresponding 'GUID-like-name'_crashinfo.txt saved in same folder but I never saw or found one there in that folder...

Thanks in advance for any feedback or comments about this issue and/or for trying to clear some of my doubts.

Rob

1 Reply
Just updating this again discussion after noticing it was silently unlocked by Admins and released to normal discussions.
Since now I'm on v96.0.1054.43 I'm not really expecting more updates on this and I also believe same issue I reported was only dued to some Edge components that had remained stuck in memory, probably also MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe.
I also reported more about this same component in another discussion ('Which update impact might Edge Enterprise have if running a non updated 'MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe'?') that I already closed some near end of September after realizing what quite likely happened for that situation.

Anyway because after solving that issue, also the one I reported here never happened again I'm quite confident to say that it was probably only dued to a side effect of those same components stuck in memory.
P.S. Nevertheless, (sorry for adding this here even if obviously off-topic for this discussion, but anyway it's for anyone else awareness too), even if same issue described here never appeared again, I still noticed that whenever MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe receive an update, it still continues to not fully update itself into %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate folder.
So after its own self update complete anyway, I typically need to temporarily manually rename old executable (obviously while not already running) still left in same folder as 'MicrosoftEdgeUpdate_old.exe' then manually copy updated version from own subdirectory also in that same path (.\1.3.153.53 was last update I received after mid November) and then also manually set new MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe ownership to SYSTEM as last step since originally found already set same way before.
BTW at least I saw that any 'MicrosoftEdgeUpdate_old.exe' I've still left in same folder above always gets self-deleted while MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe (almost fully) self-updates again.
I'm wondering why doing this cannot be self-automated during MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe self-updates so to ensure same component if always fully updated too when executing.

Thanks anyway for your attention.
Regards
Rob