Configuration Manager 2309 - Create Application Wizard - Error: Invalid Operation

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We updated our SCCM infrastructure to 2309 a few weeks ago and all has been mostly fine except for we saw the odd case of application creation failure with a basic "Error: Invalid Operation". If we tried to create the application a second time it seemed to be fine so we thought little of it. What we're seeing now is that we just can't create applications at all, even basic test apps with no content fail. We've rebooted the servers and tried creating the app on the console directly on the site server and we're still experiencing this issue. Packages seem to be working fine.

Any help?!?

The SmsAdminUI.log file has the following errors generated by trying to create a new app...

[36, PID:5244][12/07/2023 13:55:32] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nInvalid operation \r\n at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
at System.Management.ManagementObject.Put(PutOptions options)
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)\r\nManagementException details:
instance of __ExtendedStatus
{
Operation = "PutClass";
ParameterInfo = "";
ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
};
\r\n
[36, PID:5244][12/07/2023 13:55:32] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nInvalid operation \r\n at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put()
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.AppManFoundation.AppManWrapper.Put(ReportProgress reportProgress)\r\nInvalid operation
\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nInvalid operation \r\n at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
at System.Management.ManagementObject.Put(PutOptions options)
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)\r\nManagementException details:
instance of __ExtendedStatus
{
Operation = "PutClass";
ParameterInfo = "";
ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
};
\r\n

4 Replies
I updated to 2309 last week and I guess haven't tried to create an app until now, but I'm getting the same thing. This also happens when trying to edit an existing application or copying an application.
I'm also now seeing our SUP fail to sync today's update releases. It synced 13 updates before 5 consecutive updates failed which causes the sync to fail. Wsyncmgr.log shows:

*** insert into CI_DocumentStore (DocumentIdentifier, Body, IsVersionLatest, DocumentType) values ('a257faf5-8436-49a9-ab14-afb01f09c7ec', '', 0, 0)~;select SCOPE_IDENTITY()

*** [23000][2627][Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'CI_DocumentStore_PK'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.CI_DocumentStore'. The duplicate key value is (33578898).

Failed to sync update 7150bd78-0100-4b97-8fd8-6bc70ac19c01. Error: Failed to save update a257faf5-8436-49a9-ab14-afb01f09c7ec. CCISource error: -1. Source: Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.SoftwareUpdatesManagement.UpdatesManager.UpdatesManagerClass.DefineUpdate

I'm finding posts from people that had this after previous version upgrades but no one has a solution posted.
Interestingly we saw the exact same SUP sync errors. Frustratingly the application and SP sync errors seem to be transient as they are now both working correctly - although we're going to double-check update syncs now that patch Tuesday has arrived. There have been two whole days where we couldn't create applications so the first thing we do each day now is to create a test app to check the system over.
Following this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/xe8vf0/mecm_2107_violation_of_primary_key_constraint_ci/), I ran DBCC CHECKIDENT('CI_DocumentStore', RESEED); against SQL last night expecting it to reproduce the behavior they described where the current identity value would reset back to the troubled value on the next SUP sync, but instead our sync worked correctly and the issue did not recur. After that, our applications began working as expected as well.