Azure Service Map

Copper Contributor

I am planning to use Azure service map to identify the dependencies of an application.

I am planning to move the Application from on Prem to cloud.

So before migration I am looking to identify the dependencies of the application using Azure service map.

But the database of that particular application is hosted on a shared consolidated database.

The consolidated database means, the same Database server  hosts DB for multiple applications with multiple database instances

So if i use Azure service map agent on the database server, it will be receiving multiple requests from different servers & I will not be able to identify & differentiate the requests. I will not be able to really identify the dependency for application with respect to Database.

Is there any work around or any way by which we can address this

3 Replies

Any help

@Rsrikant In my view, it should not be a problem as long as you know what is you backend DB server for your application. If you consider your application server as the focus machines you will only get the traffic between your application server and the DB server.

Are you expecting any other external services apart from this application in question are communicating directly with the DB? Ideally this should not be the case, even if the DB server is shared, I do not expect the DB is shared as well. However, you cannot ignore the possibility, if you are not sure about the architecture of the application as there might be direct integration with you DB for push/pull data. In that case, I suggest to select the DB server as the focus machine as well and see with whom this guy is talking to and try to identify if any traffic going to other service is related to you application.

Please keep in mind that the agent captures information about all TCP processes running on the focus machine and the inbound and outbound connections for each process. So, you will get a lot of connections that may not be directly related to your application.

Give it a try and see how it goes :). Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Rohan

@rohanislam 

Thanks. Got your point.

As you have mentioned we will be focussing on the application & seek what connections/communications does it makes to the DB.

But from the DB side, since multiple DBs are hosted in a single server & since it is shared with multiple Applications, will be finding it difficult to identify which DB instance the request is coming & what will be the dependencies on the DB server. 
If there is dependency on any other applications on this DB instance, it will be difficult to identity & segregate it.