Azure Application Proxy usage and AD Premium/licensing

Iron Contributor

Hi,

question regarding license requirements for Azure Application Proxy.

the person configuring AAP requires an AD Premium license, what other requirements are there around AAP and the need for AD Premium licensing?

what features do end users need to be consuming via AAP to require an AD Premium license?

is it only conditional access?

is it for all authenticated publishing usage?

i cant find any firm difinitive definitions of which features require strict licensing, either from a functional basis (i believe currently that conditional access requires AD Premium end user license in order for it to actually work) as opposed to a pure licensed service basis (any user can authenticate and sign in, but should that access be licensed)?

any one know difinitively? or able to point me in the direction of relevant documentation?

Thanks in advance

Pete 

3 Replies
Hi Peter,

Azure AD basic will do it if you only want to use AAP.

Please see the following documentation.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-editions

best regards

Thanks Viktor, I hadn't spotted that documentation.

so, to confirm, as per the above, it is only SSO published apps (Azure AD SSO) that impact on the license consumption for AAP, publishing pass through, or other non-Azure AD SSO apps/sites, as it supports, is 'free' or otherwise consumes no license?

cheers

Pete