SOLVED

Azure AD Connect 2.0 - to support Windows Server 2022

MVP

Can anyone tell when Windows Server 2022 will be supported for Azure AD Connect 2.0? 

According to learn.microsoft.com/docs Windows Server 2019 remains the last fully supported OS for now, since WS 2016 is already in extended support and as such should be unfeasible in a quite dynamic cloud connectivity scenario.

Also, the docs mention this:

• Azure AD Connect must be installed on a domain-joined Windows Server 2019 or later [?] - note that Windows Server 2022 is not yet supported.
    You can deploy Azure AD Connect on Windows Server 2016 but since WS2016 is in extended support, you may require a paid support program if you require support for this configuration.

source: Azure AD Connect: Prerequisites and hardware - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

fyi @Elden Christensen 

Thank you very much for your time and investigations in advance!

5 Replies

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus_business This a good question. We are currently looking at upgrading our environment and I'd like to consider Server 2022 instances. However, if a key functionality like Azure AD Connect is not yet supported, then I'll have to select 2019 instead. However, if I knew that 2022 would be supported in x-months or something like that, I might hold off to avoid a mixed environment of 2022 and 2019 servers. I understand there have been those with a successful implementation of Azure AD Connect on Server 2022, but until it's officially supported, I don't think I will. Has anyone heard/read anything official regarding 2022 support?

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus_business 

Yes, you are correct, not yet supported by Windows 2022 unfortunately

best response confirmed by Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus_business (MVP)
Solution

Seems this one is done. on a sidenote

"We recommend the usage of domain joined Windows Server 2022." :clapping_hands:
source: Azure AD Connect: Prerequisites and hardware - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

see also: Azure AD Connect 2.0 - to support Windows Server Core - Microsoft Community Hub

We've just installed AD Connect V2 on a Server 2022 box and it syncs fine.  We do however get strange messages form the portal.

Something like this:

/****** begin strange message *********/
The latest Synchronization Errors report for your Azure AD Connect is not available. For getting the latest Synchronization Errors report you must meet the following requirements.

Use the latest version of Azure AD Connect.
Download the latest version of azure ad connect.
At least one sync server has to be active (not in staging mode).
The AADConnect Health Service may not be receiving the latest data or it may be older than 2 hours. This may be due to connectivity issues or data collection issues on the server itself.

Please follow the steps in the troubleshooting documentation to fix the issue.

/****** end strange message *********/

We've most certainly done confirmed the aforementioned suggestions.  All is syncing.  It's slightly confusing to see but it works.  Any thoughts?

-Cheers

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus_business

@AntohnyLariscy I am afraid that is out of my scope. Please contact your support via portal.azure.com or admin.microsoft.com. They need to be aware about that quirk, as it seems to be one.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus_business (MVP)
Solution

Seems this one is done. on a sidenote

"We recommend the usage of domain joined Windows Server 2022." :clapping_hands:

see also: Azure AD Connect 2.0 - to support Windows Server Core - Microsoft Community Hub

View solution in original post