WVD Design Question

Copper Contributor

I am working with a multi-national customer at present looking to move their Global Citrix footprint to WVD. Currently this is spread across many geographical datacenters to suit theirs customers need.

I have been going through the documentation for WVD but it is really unclear how this should be treated when it comes to designing for a multi regional environment. Creating the components in each of the regions is only mentioned when it comes to 'metadata' but even this is not overly clearly what that constitutes.

I guess in simple terms, should Host pools/VM's and App Groups be created to sit along side the regions they are likely to be used in?

Should there be an EMEA Host pool, US Host Pool etc.? to service Apps and Desktops in the local vicinity to users?

The documentation is so high level it really does not give a granular example or even point out some guidance on something such as this.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

5 Replies
From why I can see meta data location is more relevant to companies with specific data governance policies.l, as for the WVD locations you should try to keep them as close to the intended user as possible, that is documented around but it’s more of a preference than a must

@LPM1985 

You should put your Workspace, Session Host and Azure Files local to the end users, multiple regions if needed. AD and perhaps other services can go between vnet peers.

Everything you are saying is correct. DM me if you need further help.

Thank-you for taking the time to respond. Its good to know that my thought process was on the right track. I will check out the Data Governance documentation to see if its relevant to the customer.
Thank-you for taking the time to respond. Its good to know that my thought process was on the right track. I will see what the response times are in those regions and become more granular if needs be.
For years now myself and colleagues have put RDS's in another continent to the customer and to be honest never had an issue with that in latency and this is no different so performance wise its purely best practice