Dell Wyse Kiosk Mode with WVD Remote Desktop unable to Subscribe

Brass Contributor

I have a case open with Dell Wyse team.

We have Dell Wyse 5070 thin clients running windows 10 IOT

When using Wyse Easy Setup Kiosk Mode

• Kiosk mode is preventing Microsoft AAD sign-on window from loading
      • C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin.exe

Is there any way to set the MSRDCW.exe to complete the subscribe action from within the original application?

13 Replies

@AndrewPhebus No, the client uses the standard Windows AAD authentication APIs to retrieve the user's identity.

Hi, I see that you might have done what I'd like to do. I want to have the 5070 present the login screen for the user who enters there Azure AD credentials and then the Windows Virtual Desktop is auto signed in. Have you managed that?

@elliottchandler 
I have it set so the wyse easy setup overlay launches on user logon to the Wyse terminal.  it has the WVD remote desktop set as an icon and launches automatically. I also used FSLogix User Profile disks on the Wyse terminals so we could maintain the user logon information.  So the first logon to the Wyse the user must "Subscribe" to the remote desktop app and enter the username and password into the connection when connecting to the pool and they can click "Remember Password".  After the first logon the passwords are remembered via the FSLogix Wyse profiles and they don't have any password prompts other than the Wyse terminals windows logon to the domain.  Once Dell/Wyse resolves the WVD subscribe issue in Kiosk mode we will go full kiosk mode.

@AndrewPhebus 

Thanks so much for the reply. That sounds like a good amount of effort.

On the FSlogix are you using that locally on each Thin Client?

If FSlogix is in use does that mean that you have a local file share?

Are Dell actively working on the Kiosk Mode request?

@AndrewPhebus 

Thanks so much for the reply. That sounds like a good amount of effort.

On the FSlogix are you using that locally on each Thin Client?

If FSlogix is in use does that mean that you have a local file share?

Are Dell actively working on the Kiosk Mode request?

@elliottchandler 

Yes FSLogix I have it set Via GPO on the thin client.  So Wyse management studio domain joins the Wyse to the windows domain.  THen they pick up the FSLogix Policies.  YOu can use on on-prem storage or Azure files storage for the wyse data disks as most of them are under 5mb in size it is minimal overhead.

Dell enhancement request is "WIN-1394 is the Enhancement request submitted to Product group" to get the Kiosk mode working.

@AndrewPhebus 

Thanks again for the reply.

So I am thinking that we would need to join the thin client to Azure Active Directory as we don't have local file storage. If that were possible is using Azure Files practical do you think? 

If we join to Azure AD do you think FSLogix would work using Endpoint Management/Intune?

@elliottchandler

There are many ways to accomplish what you are looking to do.  what you describe may work, but i have not attempted it that way.

@AndrewPhebus 

After further reading it seems possible that using Shell Launcher combined with some powershell (https://gshaw0.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/build-your-own-thin-ish-client-with-windows-10-ltsb/?unappro...) it might be possible to achieve a seamless sign on for every user. I'm just not sure on the local file storage holding up.

Hi @elliottchandler , did you find a solution for your challenges?
If not, did you have a look at IGEL (www.igel.com)? You can reimage your DELL/Wyse terminals with IGEL OS, and get a very smooth WVD experience and reduce your administrative efforts of providing a "homebrewed" solution. Reach out if you find this interesting. 

Best

Fred

@Brattstig No I didn't get a solution.

@AndrewPhebus I would like to buy you a beer. Thank you so much. I have been fighting Dell on being able to configure the new Remote Desktop client without UWF erasing settings etc. FSLogix worked! Now we can migrate them to Azure/Windows 365, the whole project was hung up on stupid Wyse.

Using FSLogix for this is an interesting approach, anyone willing to have a conversation? I am interested to understand how this affects the write filter etc.