Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty certification is here!

Copper Contributor

2019 was declared the year of VDI, 2020 was the year of Cloud and I think that 2021 will be the year of Azure Virtual Desktop, bringing VDI and the Cloud together…and the long wait is over!  The Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty certification is now generally available. So lets take a few minutes to chat about WVD and why the Exam AZ-140: Configuring and Operating Microsoft Azure Virtual Desktop is something you should be interested in!

What is Azure Virtual Desktop?

Azure Virtual Desktop is Microsoft Azure’s VDI PaaS solution that enables you to provide remote applications and/or full desktops in the cloud.  One of the strongest points of WVD is Windows 10 Multi-session which combines the functionality of a traditional windows remote desktop server with the windows client experience, giving you the best of both worlds.  This combined with the FSLogix User Profile software is an amazing solution that will allow your users to work from home or remote locations securely without needing all the traditional heavy infrastructure. 

Why should you bother taking the Exam AZ-140? 

Like with all certifications it is a measure of your ability to complete a task, demonstrate your knowledge, improve your resume, get your next dream job, make more money, feel accomplished and empowered and of course bragging rights! 

What does the exam cover?

The Exam AZ-140 will test all your Azure skills across five (5) key areas.

1. Planning your Azure Virtual Desktop Architecture
  2. Implementing your Azure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
  3. Manage Access and Security
  4. Manage User Environment and Apps
  5. Monitor and maintain your Azure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.

Who should be ready to take the exam?

Those looking to get this certification should have a general expertise across The Azure Virtual Desktop stack along with Azure administration and architecture expertise including but not limited to:

Azure Active Directory, Active Directory Domains, Group policy, Identity Security, Networking, DNS, Network Security, Endpoint Protection, Azure Virtual Machines, Mobile Device Management, Printing, Azure Monitor, FSLogix User Profiles Azure Storage solutions, client-side security, Automation Disaster Recovery, and VM Imaging.

MSAzureAcademy_0-1623341023652.png

Now this may seem like a lot…and it is, but we’ve got you covered!

The Azure Academy:

Your training begins with my Azure Academy YouTube channel, where I have a 20-part video Study Guide on the AZ-140 exam.  
This series was developed to match the requirements and is broken down into two (2) sections.  The first eleven (11) Learning videos and twelve through twenty (12-20) Implementation videos.  

This way you can zero in on the specific areas you need to understand and practice building so you are ready for anything the exam can through at you!

What The Hack:

But the fun doesn’t stop there.  My team, FastTrack for Azure, has led an effort across Microsoft’s WVD experts including Cloud Solution Architects, Global Black Belts, Customer Engineers and Consultants to put together materials to help you prep for the exam which can be found on the public GitHub repo “What The Hack”

A Hack is a challenge-based approach to learning.  This format is intended to be led by a coach who will help guide the students as they progress through the challenges.  This can be done on your own or with a small group to think through things as you would in designing a real-world solution. 

In this Hack you will find twelve (12) challenges which align with the video series to help you through each section to dive a little deeper into the scenarios and build the solutions, giving you the skills, you need to take the exam with confidence.

This gives you the flexibility to use the videos as your coach or work with a WVD expert to coach you and your team through the process. 

What’s Next?

“I can only show you the door, you are the one who must walk through it.”  - Morpheus

We have created the resources; Microsoft created the certification…it’s up to you now!  Start down your learning path or if you are ready schedule your exam. 

If you need help drop a comment here or on one of my videos and we will all do our best to answer your questions. 

Also drop me a comment when you pass your exam, I love to hear your success stories and suggestions. 

Thanks for taking a few minutes out of your day to read this blog post…and good luck and all the success in the world to you in the year of Azure Virtual Desktop

#HappyLearning

Dean Cefola

MSAzureAcademy_1-1623341023652.jpeg

FastTrack for Azure Principal Engineer

Azure Academy creator

MSAzureAcademy_2-1623341023655.png

1 Reply
Thank you very much for posting this article, just what I was looking for ^^