SOLVED

AVD Scaling Plans MUST Be in the Same Region as Host Pool

Microsoft

[Updated 8/15/22]

Hello Tech Community,

If you are using AVD's Autoscale public preview feature, please note that you cannot assign a scaling plan in one region to a host pool in another region because of an ARM restriction. If you currently have a scaling plan assigned to a host pool in a different region, please unassign the scaling plan and recreate it in the host pool region. We have sent out service health alerts and updated our documentation to call out that this is no longer allowed.

AVD is working to support scaling plans in additional regions to ease this process. This post will be used to track progress on rolling out to more regions and track any questions that come up.

Currently, scaling plans are available in the following regions:

• Australia East
  • Canada Central
  • Canada East
  • Central US
  • East US
  • East US 2
  • Japan East
  • North Central US
  • North Europe
  • South Central US
  • UK South
  • UK West
  • West Central US
  • West Europe
  • West US
  • West US 2
  • West US 3

Thank you for your patience and support in making Autoscale a great feature!

35 Replies

@Seneca_Friend Hello - When will Scaling Plans be available in the East US region.  Our Host Pools are currently deployed in the East US region.  We had deploy scaling plans in East US 2 since they weren't available in East US.

Hi Andy, we are planning to add support for scaling plans in additional regions in the next few weeks. I will update this post when new regions become available.

@Seneca_Friend - Will AVD scaling plans be made available in North Central US region in the coming weeks as well?  We have a number of host pools deployed in the North Central US region requiring scaling plans. Please advise, thank you!

best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution
Yes, we are planning to allow scaling plans to be created in all regions host pools can be created in.

@Seneca_Friend hello, gives a solution to move or clone Hostpool Resources like Application Groups to another location or to another Hostpool without create all this resource manually new? Because we have created resource groups in westeurope, Hostpools in east us, Hosts in westeurope, application groups and workspaces in east us, because of former location restrictions for the metadata. In some Hostpools we have a lot of applications created and don't want recreate all this in new hostpool with new location manually.

Hello, we are not recommending that you recreate your host pools, application groups, or session hosts. The guidance is to recreate your scaling plan in the same region as your host pool. So if your host pools are in East US, delete your current scaling plan and recreate it in East US (when scaling plans become available there) and then assign that to your East US host pools.

Updating my post.  @bainslie_Sufs just pointed out that although the EAST US region is displayed, it throws up an error when you try to deploy it. (see post below)

@Seneca_Friend  Here's a screenshot of all the regions I can see as of today.

scalingplans.jpg

@ACastro This is not new, it's shown up as an option in the Portal for some time now, but if you actually try to create a scale plan in EAST US, you get the following error:

{"details":[{"code":"InvalidTemplateDeployment","message":"{\"error\":{\"code\":\"LocationNotAvailableForResourceType\",\"message\":\"The provided location 'eastus' is not available for resource type 'Microsoft.DesktopVirtualization/scalingplans'. List of available regions for the resource type is 'canadaeast,canadacentral,northeurope,westeurope,eastus2,centralus'.\"},

Any update? Nothing in the past two weeks. @Seneca_Friend 

Hello @ACastro, I just wanted to update you that scaling plans are now available in East US! If you haven't already, please make sure that you recreate your scaling plan in East US if your host pool is in East US. Thank you so much for your patience on this!
Hello @ShawnPearson, I just wanted to update you that scaling plans are now available in North Central US! If you haven't already, please make sure that you recreate your scaling plan in North Central US if your host pool is in North Central US. Thank you so much for your patience on this!
Hello @WVDExpert, I just wanted to update you that scaling plans are now available in East US! If you haven't already, please make sure that you recreate your scaling plan in East US if your host pool is in East US. Thank you so much for your patience on this!
Hi @padrickr, scaling plans are now available in all regions that host pools are available in except UK South and UK West. Currently, scaling plans are available in the following regions: Canada Central, Canada East, Central US, East US, East US 2, North Central US, North Europe, South Central US, West Central US, West Europe, West US, and West US 2. If you haven't done so yet, please make sure to recreate your scaling plan in the same region as your host pool.
Hello @Seneca_Friend, any chance they will become available in UK South also anytime soon? Would be greatly appreciated
Hi @LeonPlaat, no we don't have an ETA for this. UK South is a resource constrained region and we are waiting to get capacity approval so that we can have scaling plans available there.
really microsoft??
i already addressed this last month
but as typical i get several new notices this month
i have no scaling plans in the zone anymore so why im i still getting hammered with this warning that i do
Hi @TLCawein,
Please know that we don't intend to hammer you with warnings unnecessarily. This notice was sent out to all customers who (in our queries) showed that they had scaling plans in one region and host pools in another. If you think that this was by error, please feel free to private message me your subscription ID, host pool name, and scaling plan name and I will check our records. Thank you so much for your patience with us!
i figured since i changed that some time back that it really shouldn't have been in the system anymore?

i cannot be sure of the date - i think the last notice was march 31
i think it was right around there i got them recreated and the bad ones removed.

looked today to be sure - i don't see anything in the wrong zone.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution
Yes, we are planning to allow scaling plans to be created in all regions host pools can be created in.

View solution in original post