Data Share. Comparing Azure Data Share with Snowflake Data Share

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

Looking a new implementation and comparing Azure's products along side Snowflake for some key functionality.

Has anyone done a similar comparison in the past and is happy to share their learnings.

Much appreciated.

I'll add back into this discussion with my finding as my investigation progresses.

1 Reply

@NickoMaco 

Hi all, just looping back on this one.

We did the comparison and ended up using Snowflake Data Sharing for a few reasons which were specific to our use case.

Main points.

MS Data Share - would be fine if the providers/consumers were all on Azure and within the same network. We had restrictions in that no Public IP were allowed.

This would be an economical method to share otherwise. 

Snowflake share - Allowed us to share to other clouds. So we could share with research teams and institutions which were outside of Azure (GCP / AWS) and provided a security model in which we could audit reader accounts to our data set.

Cons where that Snowflake is an expensive service and providers where responsible for costs associated with data movement between clouds. 

BUT its a very secure environment in which all parties would securely link to snowflake and then Snowflake would be responsible for sharing.

Hope this helps.