Not being able to pull images on docker

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm here posting, trying to understand if am I missing anything in trying to make Docker work on an Azure VM.

I can set up correctly everything on the Windows Server 2019 VM, as it is stated in this document(How to Install Docker and Run Docker Containers on Windows Server 2019 (foldersecurityviewer.com)) but when it comes to perform a docker pull, of even if I have a swarm configured, I simply can't download any docker image.

The error I get:

PS C:\Users\thatuser> docker pull windows/nanoserver
Using default tag: latest
Error response from daemon: pull access denied for windows/nanoserver, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied

well, I tried first doing a docker login, as they suggest, but no matter what image I try (windows or linux) I simply can't get anything. Of course for linux it complains about other issue, due to the platform, which I don't think it's relevant, because I only want to deploy  windows based containers.

If anyone can help out, would be great. It kind of seems to me this is not possible to do, the way I seem to be doing(Simple Standard D2s v3 (2 vcpus, 8 GiB memory) VM with Windows Server 2019)

Thanks,

Nuno

2 Replies
Can you try giving the registry location explicitly in the command line? For example
docker pull [OPTIONS] NAME[:TAG|@DIGEST]

Name is the registry location with file name. When you provide tag, it needs to be separated by :

@rvarathan, sorry, I should have also put that example, when I've opened this thread. It doesn't work either.

PS C:\Users\user> docker pull mcr.microsoft.com/windows/nanoserver:ltsc2022
ltsc2022: Pulling from windows/nanoserver
no matching manifest for windows/amd64 10.0.17763 in the manifest list entries

PS C:\Users\user> docker run mcr.microsoft.com/windows/nanoserver:2022
Unable to find image 'mcr.microsoft.com/windows/nanoserver:2022' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: manifest for mcr.microsoft.com/windows/nanoserver:2022 not found: manifest unknown: manifest tagged by "2022" is not found.
See 'docker run --help'.

Thanks,

Nuno