SOLVED

Learn how to solve math problems with Math Solver in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

We are excited to announce that you can now use Math Solver in Microsoft Edge (version 91 or higher) to get help with a wide range of mathematical concepts–from elementary arithmetic and quadratic equations to calculus and statistics.

Math Solver in Microsoft Edge lets you to take picture of a math problem – be it handwritten or printed – and then provides an instant solution with step-by-step instructions to help you learn how to reach the solution on your own. It also comes ready with a mathematical keyboard so you can easily type math problems instead of hunting around a traditional keyboard for the characters you need. That’s not all. After solving your problem, Math Solver provides many options to continue learning with additional materials such as quizzes, worksheets, and video tutorials.            

Read on to learn how Microsoft Math Solver in Edge can help with your homework and help you gain confidence in a variety of concepts with.

Step 1: Open Math Solver in Edge

Use the Settings and more menu (...) in the top right corner of the browser, open More Tools and select Math Solver

MS11.png

Step 2: Select an equation

After opening Math Solver, you can use the selection tool to capture the math equation you want to solve. Make any adjustments to the selection window to make sure that your math problem is covered completely, and no other text is captured.

MS33.png

Alternatively, there is a section to type the problem statement by using the digital keyboard provided in the tool.

MS3.png

Step 3: Get solution and step-by-step guidance

After selecting the equation, click ‘Solve’ to get solution. provides instant solutions and goes a step beyond, with step-by-step guidance using various problem-solving methods. 

To view steps, select the problem-solving method and click ‘Show solution steps’

MS44.png

Step 4: Visualize the solution with interactive graphs 

Understanding equations becomes simpler with graphs. Scroll the math pane to view the graphs for your equation.

Step 5: Reinforce learning with additional resources

Math Solver also provides additional learning resources, such as video tutorials and similar worksheets, making it easier for students to dive deep into a topic and master it.

Click on ‘Show more learning content’ to get these additional learning resources. It’ll open Math Solver in a new tab page.

MS22.png

Send us feedback

We are excited for you to try this Edge feature with your kids, students or anyone who needs help in learning math. Please send us feedback if something isn’t working right or if there is anything you’d like to see added. We are listening! You can either leave us a Twitter post using #EdgeEDU, #EdgeMathSolver or within Edge go to “…” menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback to provide feedback. 

Thanks for being part of this early preview! We look forward to hearing your feedback.

- The Microsoft Edge Product team

66 Replies
best response confirmed by hkusulja (MVP)
Solution

Hi,
Thank you, this is very great,
but I really think this should be an extension in Edge addons store, and not part of the browser by default.
I understand you can disable it or use group policy etc. but the files and component is still in the browser.
extensions are modules, people can add/remove them at any time. this math resolver is not something that I would use often, so I don't want it in the browser, but a lot of students and kids will find it useful.
I would Really appreciate if you decouple it from the browser package and put it in the Edge addons store, as an exclusive extension/addon for Microsoft Edge, so that only those users who want it will add it to their browser.

Thank you

This is indeed a great feature. Will help a lot of students in their study work.
But as already said in the comment above, this is not central to the browser experience. This is a feature that will be used by students on demand, so it makes sense to decouple it from browser and make it as an extension available in the Edge Add-Ons Store.
I agree that math solver is a strange choice to add to a browser. In last 15 years I never needed to solve equation and probably I'm not going to need it. And if it's also going to use resources (memory, cpu) then I definitely don't want it turned on by default.

May be I will use it as calculator but I can use calculator in JS-Console and Google Omnibox. In addition to Windows Calculator
This is really great feature, however I believe most teacher and schools would ask you to provides them with some sort of API to disable it on certain website.
I believe there is a need to do it using Group Policy too as no teacher wants their students to use this feature during the Math exam.
But for people outside academic world it is very helpful.
People outside academic? I haven't run a poll on 8 billion people in the world but I think and as the post says, they are mostly targeting students and education systems. outside that group, people barely use browsers to solve math on daily basis.
the opposite should happen, this needs to be removed for the majority of people, offered as an extension only to those who want it, which according to the post, is mostly education system, students etc.
of course there will be group policy for central management.

during the exam, this is the least thing teachers need to be worried about.
this is available on web site, app on IOS and Android too.
https://math.microsoft.com/en

and there are a lot more apps and services that offer the same features more or less.
It is helpful while study to verify the result but during exam time teacher are worried and I received request like how to disable Calculator app and the Math app is one exam and there are other and even if you search for basic math formula in Bing or Google, they have basic calculation.

Even though, I am not in the academic world and not dealing with math, but sometimes when I come across such a formula in PDF files, it is nice to have problem solver handy where with few clicks, I could find the final answer. Personally, I believe it would go beyond the educators and whenever there is a math formula , it would be handy.

@Reza_Ameri 

Spoiler

@Reza_Ameri wrote:
It is helpful while study to verify the result but during exam time teacher are worried and I received request like how to disable Calculator app and the Math app is one exam and there are other and even if you search for basic math formula in Bing or Google, they have basic calculation.

Even though, I am not in the academic world and not dealing with math, but sometimes when I come across such a formula in PDF files, it is nice to have problem solver handy where with few clicks, I could find the final answer. Personally, I believe it would go beyond the educators and whenever there is a math formula , it would be handy.

Exam times are very specific occasions and they already know how to restrict students, like I said, there are lot more things to worry about as a teacher than this Math solver feature in Edge.

"sometimes", that's the problem, you do it only sometimes, I never need to do it.

this is why it should be removed from browser and become available as an extension for only those who want it. something that probably only 2% or 3% of users would use shouldn't be there by default. that's not logical.

@HotCakeX @Reza_Ameri @Rohit Yadav @mkoninin 

Firstly, thank you for raising concerns around the potential perf impact for users who are not interested in using the new Math Solver tool. Browser performance is a top priority for Microsoft Edge and we are glad to see the passion around this from our community :). We are leveraging new capabilities in the platform to deliver a Math Solver experience only to those customers who need it without impacting the browser performance for all other users – all while being natively available.

Here is how it works: the files required to power this feature are downloaded only upon first use to the user’s computers, thereby having zero impact on footprint or memory for users who do not need this feature. Resources such as RAM and CPU will be used only when the feature is being used or when there is an update in feature bundle. Hence, there should be no impact at all for users who do not use this feature.

Our goal with Math Solver is to bring more equity in learning by democratizing math learning for students who need help but are unable to get it or afford it. We would love to hear your thoughts as we try to figure out ways to bring this to reality while ensuring the browser meets the expectations of all other users. We are listening and ready to learn :) .

@Shahina thank you for the reply! This implementation is clever and great for everyone. This is a neat idea.

Of course I love the idea of the Math Solver, which can be used by teachers and students. Now I had another feedback on this, will there be any policies to restrict the usage of it? I suppose it can be used by students during the exams and can result in undesired outcomes.

@Shahina 

Thanks, so this means Math resolver will be turned off by default, when it comes to Stable/Beta channels, right?

Thank you for your post.
Just add I show this feature to some users who are using math and they loved it. However, this feature would raise some new feedback about the calculation and supported formula and I hope you would direct such feedbacks to the product owner.

I personally don't care much about it being built-in. I think the devs at Microsoft are smart enough to not make it use system resources when not in use, and they are working already in the reduction of resources use in Edge. There are dozens of Chromium-based browser that mostly do the same thing, let the Edge team try to do something different!

Agree with this, I thought if we keeping adding features this browser will be a mess the only enthusiast will use it and others will avoid it. That's why I think Chrome has been rigid featureless by built-in but can be customised with flags and add-ons. So we must avoid bundling so much thing in a Browser.

@ImRan420 

@ImRan420 wrote:
Agree with this, I thought if we keeping adding features this browser will be a mess the only enthusiast will use it and others will avoid it. That's why I think Chrome has been rigid featureless by built-in but can be customised with flags and add-ons. So we must avoid bundling so much thing in a Browser.

Exactly, that's why I don't use bloated browsers such as Opera, Opera gaming etc. full of useless features and that's one reason they have low market share.

Edge didn't have any feature of that sort, until this math solver was added. this is the first feature I'm never going to use, Yet, i have to keep it in my browser.

I think it is very out of place. The web browser would not be the place anybody would look in for an equation solver. It will either be difficult to discover, or clutter the UI with an option that will baffle most users.

There's no limit to things you can do with a web view and javascript, but they don't all belong together in the web browser, or it will become a cluttered mess. They should be put in an appropriate application, which may well be a PWA.

I think the Math Solver would suit the Calculator app just fine, along with many improvements it sorely needs, like graphing and beautification. Replace the current Calculator with a much better one in a PWA, and you will make many people happy.
I would like to see this in OneNote and Word, particularly converting images into equations.
I used to use the Microsoft Mathematics Add-In, but it doesn't work with Office 2016 and newer versions.
I think you should make it universal on all apps on the system, not just websites. On Windows 10, you could put it in the calculator app.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by hkusulja (MVP)
Solution

Hi,
Thank you, this is very great,
but I really think this should be an extension in Edge addons store, and not part of the browser by default.
I understand you can disable it or use group policy etc. but the files and component is still in the browser.
extensions are modules, people can add/remove them at any time. this math resolver is not something that I would use often, so I don't want it in the browser, but a lot of students and kids will find it useful.
I would Really appreciate if you decouple it from the browser package and put it in the Edge addons store, as an exclusive extension/addon for Microsoft Edge, so that only those users who want it will add it to their browser.

Thank you

View solution in original post