Introducing Shopping with Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Holiday season is quickly approaching and this year many of us will be shopping online more than ever before. Today, we’re excited to share some new features built into Microsoft Edge that we hope will help you save time and money these holidays.

Coupons are a great way to save money, but they often require a lot of work to find the right ones at the right time. That’s why we’re excited to announce our new coupons feature in Microsoft Edge (starting in build 86.0.622.61), which we hope will make it faster and easier to save money with built-in coupons. When you visit a retailer site, Microsoft Edge will alert you if there are any coupons available for that site. You can view the list of coupons at any time by clicking on the blue shopping tag in the address bar. At checkout, you can copy and paste a code or Microsoft Edge can automatically try them all to determine which one will save you the most. 

markshelton_0-1604976438841.png

Last month, we unveiled price comparison in Collections to help you find the best price online. Now we’re launching our next step, a proactive price comparison experience that meets you where you shop. When you’re shopping, Microsoft Edge will check prices at competing retailers to let you know if a lower price is available elsewhere. Click the blue price tag to see a list of prices along with direct links to the product page on those sites. If you already have the lowest price, Microsoft Edge will let you know too, saving your time and energy. Price comparisons is now rolling out in Insider channels.

MVP - Comparisons - PDP 1.2.png

This is just the beginning for shopping experiences on Microsoft Edge, and we’d love to hear what you think of them so far! Please send us feedback (“…” menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback) if something isn’t working right. If you’d like to manage your settings, go to edge://settings/privacy and look for “Save time and money with Shopping in Microsoft Edge”. And if there’s a shopping feature you’d like to see added to Microsoft Edge, we’re excited to hear that too.

- Mark Shelton, Program Manager, Microsoft Edge

83 Replies
@markshelton Really? That means it's on Stable already!

@Kam Yes, coupons are already in Stable! We've been working hard to make this feature available in time for holiday season, so our rollout has been a little faster than normal. Have you seen them yet? It might take a few restarts of your browser first.

@markshelton And what's interesting is that I only got it in 88.0.678.0 in Dev.

@markshelton 

I posted on this when I found it on Canary here on 10/13/2020 .   It gets annoying when you are trying to make your purchase on a website and it keeps popping up for every page you move to through your transaction.     But I think this will be an excellent feature.  

Dennis5mile

I saw it made its way into stable too, it's good tbh
I think you might have been the first person to notice the feature! 10/13 was the day we turned the feature on in Canary. When you say 'popping up' do you mean the animated text in the address bar or is your flyout auto-opening?
The flyout opening . Opens over and over again as you go from page to page through your transaction.

Dennis5mile
Thank you for letting me know! Next time that happens to you on a shopping site, can you please send feedback through the browser? The flyout should auto-show once the first time you see it and from then on only on checkout pages. If you would prefer that it doesn't auto-show on checkout pages, next time it pops up you can go to the "..." menu in the flyout and click "Don't show this automatically".
lol, yeah it auto-showed on checkout pages alright, choose the address to ship to, choose shipping method, choose payment method, confirm information, purchase..
Everyone of those pages it would flyout. lol

Dennis5mile

@markshelton 

Hi Please can we have more integration with UK pricings as i see a lot of us and my settings are set to UK. Hope that helps Best Wishes Stay Well Be Well :o) 

@AllisterHenderson Hi! Thanks for sharing. If you see any currencies that you think might be set incorrectly, please send feedback through your browser (“…” menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback) along with a screenshot and we can take a look at it.

@markshelton 

In shopping sites, when you move your over an item on the list, a pop up should jump up enlarging that item with some info. You move to the next item, that pop up goes off, and the next comes up. This happens with Opera, Vivaldi etc. 

In the question of pop ups, it would be nice to have tab previews too. Also, when you highlight a word or a sentence, a pop up should come up with the next functions, just like in MS Office.

Thanks!

It should be "In shopping sites, when you move your cursor over an item on the list,"

@markshelton 

Like this.

@markshelton I am sorry, but why is this directly integrated into the browser? This should be an extension, something I can opt-in to install, not part of the browser's codebase and something I need  to opt-out to. The same applies to the Pinterest feature. Both have nothing to do with the browser's core use case but with individual user browsing needs and patterns. And that's exactly what extensions are for!

I am honestly very disappointed with the direction you're going here. On every update I now need to check the settings and look for some feature that sends my browsing data to some unknown service. I was so happy with the new Edge to finally replace Chrome but now again, I might need to search for a browser that is not bloated with "features" that should be extensions.

Cool feature :)

Doesn't seems to work with any Danish online retailers though.

Not pricerunner, not even the online Microsoft Store in Danish.

See attachement for a list of the websites I tested.

Thanks for the suggestion! We're actively exploring ways to make our shopping experiences more seamlessly integrated into the browser.

@NinjaSquirrel Thank you for your feedback! Our goal is that our shopping experiences are helpful when you're actively shopping and fade into the background when you're not -- we're working hard to make sure we get this balance right. Privacy is incredibly important to the Microsoft Edge team - you can read more about the privacy of our shopping experiences here in our Microsoft Edge Privacy Whitepaper

Thanks! For now, we're only actively supporting English / United States retailers but love to hear the enthusiasm for more international support!