Dev channel update to 91.0.852.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 91.0.852.0 to the Dev channel.  We’ve got lots of exciting changes to talk about today, but first, an opportunity for extension developers.  If you’re shipping an extension from our Add-Ons website, and would like to have it featured on the site’s main landing page, check out how here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/get-your-extensions-featured-on-the-microsoft-edge-a....  As for the changes: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to open the History, Favorites, Downloads, etc. management pages by middle-clicking or ctrl+clicking their respective buttons on the toolbar or in the browser’s … menu, or by using the new entry in both of their respective context menus. 
  • Added a button to the main Feedback dialog to attach files.  Note that this functionality was previously present, but hidden behind the “diagnostic data” link.  
  • Finished rolling out Password Monitor. 
  • Enabled Rebates when shopping by default now that it’s completed its rollout. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy from Chromium to control the Import Startup Page Settings, which controls whether or not data import from another browser includes importing startup settings. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed some crashes when opening the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when websites prompt for certain permissions like location. 
  • Fixed a crash when performing a web search. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a PWA or website installed as an app crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on Mac when viewing edge://settings/help. 
  • Fixed a crash when sending Feedback. 
  • Fixed a crash when removing a profile. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites randomly crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when typing in certain webpages. 
  • Fixed a crash when interacting with the Downloads popup menu in an InPrivate window.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to open Collections items in an InPrivate window when InPrivate is disabled via management policy causes a crash.    
  • Fixed an issue where adding many tabs to a Collection at once sometimes crashes the pane. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where edge://settings/importData is sometimes blank. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Downloads management page doesn’t load. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain extensions cause the browser to immediately re-open after it’s closed. 
  • Fixed an issue where muting the browser from within the system audio mixer sometimes causes it to stay silent even after unmuting it. 
  • Fixed an issue where Family Safety users were sometimes unable to log into websites that they should have been allowed to. 
  • Fixed an issue where multiple “browser is not responding” dialogs sometimes persist even after Edge is closed or restarted. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting all passwords when the Password Settings page is filtered selects all available passwords, not just all the filtered ones currently shown. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes doesn’t automatically re-open after manually restarting to apply an update from edge://settings/help. 
  • Fixed an issue where tons of PMA files sometimes are generated and not removed. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t work on PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud doesn’t work when the browser is displayed in certain languages. 
  • Fixed an issue where 360 videos on YouTube sometimes don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where logging into certain websites fails on older devices.  
  • Fixed an issue where dragging tabs between windows that have the tabs in different orientations (horizontal vs. vertical) fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Vertical Tabs pane can be resized too small to be functional. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites pinned to the Taskbar sometimes don’t show the proper window preview or favicon when the mouse hovers over the Taskbar icon when the pinned site is open. 
  • Fixed an issue where the context menu option to search for highlighted text sometimes doesn’t display properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a Collection sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Find On Page popup can sometimes cover up the address bar popup. 
  • Fixed an issue where micro-feedback prompts sometimes are available even though the management policy to set if User Feedback is Allowed is set to Disabled. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to Run All Flash In Allow Mode now that Flash is removed. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See this help article for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are still seeing favorites get duplicated.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels, but we’re still rolling that out in Stable.  We’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 

Version 91 is coming to a close, and we expect next week’s builds to be the last for it in Dev.  Thanks for helping us get here! 

38 Replies

Hello Edge team,

How to hide extension icons without the extensions button enabled? Its grayed out.

IOF2Rtd

You can't - hopefully, it's just temporary behavior.

Previous version was interesting. On my computer the extensions button was missing but address bar was draggable. And order of extensions on the toolbar was (and is) changeable. So I was able to hide all unnecessary extensions. Now the extensions button is back and address bar is fixed. I think we will see this behavior in next versions... But I like extensions button more:smile:

Smart Copy was also missing, now it is also back and i'm curious what will happen to it:smile:

It looks like the top padding in the dropdown of a folder has been removed - I like it, but it would take time to adjust lol

image.png

@josh_bodner Seems it ate icons from the "sites" on a newly-opened tab. Running on Linux (Fedora 33, XFCE desktop).

@josh_bodner The same problem as above. The icons are not displayed on new tab page.

problem icons.png

@Adamtech990 Same problem here (Windows 10)

@josh_bodner after the latest update the icons in New Tab are all with broken shortcuts.

@Adamtech990  You guys get the news and so on with your startup tab/new tab? Hell, I can't even get anything more than a blank 'new tab' page with the chosen background and a search bar. I haven't seen the news in weeks! Let alone any of my recent sites. 

(Mint 20.1 Cinnamon)

Works fine with Windows 10, though.

@morgfarm1  Sorry, didn't see that the native screenshot file type wasn't supported.

@morgfarm1 Yes, I can see the news on Fedora 33/XFCE, and before the last update, the icons as well. I wonder if you have some Edge setting set differently?

I've been LOOKING and couldn't find; theoretically it would have carried over from Windows 10 once profiles was supported. It would work sporadically after a total reboot but nothing at all for the last couple weeks. Any idea which setting I'm missing with a Linux install? Theoretically all Linux distros should be using identical Edge builds.
Huh. So I FOUND it. Startup/New Tab under settings, going to 'customize' the new tab page, just opens a new tab. no customization tools whatsoever.
For me, the "cogwheel" ion in a new tab gives layout choices for the page.
Either I'm missing something, or it doesn't exist in my build. I appended a screenshot of what i see near the top of this thread - Maybe you can see something I cant.
This really is different from any of the layouts I am offered. No cogwheel, no weather display. Even if I turn everything off in customizations, the cogwheel icon itself still appears in the right upper corner. Sorry, I have no further suggestions. Hope someone from MS can look into it.
To hide extensions, you need the extension button on toolbar, the "hide" option takes them under that button.

@erkkiruohtula 

Edge team are testing and rolling out 2nd row of NTP top sites, that's probably why we're seeing some of the icons in there broken at the moment.

image.png