Jul 08 2021 03:53 PM
Jul 08 2021 03:53 PM
I downloaded Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access last week and successfully converted my local Access database to an online MS SQL database. After testing it for a week I decided to do it again with the current (updated with most recent data) version of the Access database. When I opened SMAA it asked to update. In addition, a Windows 10 update was installed on my PC a few days ago. Now the SMAA software hangs when I try to select my local Access Database. It shows "Connecting to database 'mydata'... but just hangs forever. This worked fine last week and this step did not delay at all. the migration took a while but not this step. Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 12 2021 06:21 AM - edited Jul 12 2021 06:27 AM
I also had no issue with the tool prior to 7/9--I'm now getting the same behavior of hanging at 'Connecting to database'. I rolled back the SSMA update from 8.21 to 8.20, but the issue persists. I noticed Office 365 received an update on 7/9 (Access 16.0.14131.20278), so I believe that's the culprit. . Very frustrating.
Jul 12 2021 07:29 AM
Jul 12 2021 07:33 AM
For detailed instructions on how to rollback to an earlier version of 365, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a91...
Jul 12 2021 08:30 AM
@isladogs Thanks, but unfortunately I'm on a work PC where Office updates are managed company-wide, so I'm unable to test myself.
Jul 12 2021 01:50 PM
Jul 12 2021 02:01 PM
Jul 13 2021 01:14 PM
I normally use the SQL Server Import / Export Wizard suppled with SSMS
I've just tested SSMA v8.21 having not used it for some time.
No problem with it hanging but its not seeing any tables in any of the databases I've tried.
I'm obviously doing something wrong but what?
Jul 13 2021 01:39 PM - edited Jul 13 2021 01:40 PM
Here are my steps for recreating this issue:
It looks like you're not facing this issue. Do you mind sharing what version/build of Office you're on? I had no issues prior to 2106.
Concerning the 0 tables: have you tried right clicking on one database (e.g. GeoLocation) and selecting 'Refresh from Database'?
I eventually ended up using the SSMS import wizard to import my tables and then a bunch of T-SQL to fix the schema. Previously, SSMA handled both in one step without having to know any T-SQL (which was a lifesaver for a novice like me).
Jul 13 2021 03:27 PM
Jul 15 2021 10:31 AM
I went through the same mess; Microsoft's installer package for SSMA isn't "smart" enough to sense if you're installing the correct package (32- or 64-bit) so I accidentally installed the 64-bit version and it wouldn't work for me. I uninstalled it and then installed the 32-bit version and that one worked. Why can't the installer tell which one is the right one? Friggin' Microsoft.....
Jul 16 2021 04:31 AM
Jul 16 2021 05:07 AM
@isladogs I don't even know that you can install a 32-bit version on Windows anymore!
Where I work we use 32-bit Office (I don't know why the corporation hasn't switched to 64-bit). And I bet there are tons of big corporations that have enterprise-wide policies for using X version of Office, and none of the users or developers have anything to do with that, nor do they have any say in it.
Microsoft should have recognized that by now, they've had around 40 something years to figure it out...
Jul 16 2021 05:18 AM
Jul 16 2021 05:25 AM
Jul 16 2021 06:26 AM
Jul 19 2021 04:22 AM
I have Access 64-bit installed, but I had the same issue.
I tried using the 32-bit version of SSMA as you described but it didn't work either. It didn't hang but didn't find any tables either.
But then after uninstalling the 32-bit and re-installing the 64-bit SSMA, now it works fine??
Go figure ...
Jul 19 2021 11:23 AM
Mar 18 2022 06:35 AM - edited Mar 18 2022 06:36 AM
This thread is not the newest anymore. However, I had the same issue after upgrading to SSMAA 8.25. Everything worked the day before and after the upgrade the same symptoms appeared.
My configuration WIN 10 64-bit; Office 365 64-bit. I work in an enterprise environment, so any rollback of O365 is out of discussion.
The final solution for me was to
1. uninstall SSMAA 64-bit version
2. uninstall Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit version
3. reboot my machine
4. install SSMAA again 64-bit version
5. Install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit version
All was back to normal after this! Only removing/reinstallation of SSMAA didn't worked for me. Also other solutions with 32-bit and 64-bit that are mentioned here didn't worked.
Hope someone might find this helpful.