Confused about Semi-Annual Channel (Pilot) and Semi-Annual Channel (Broad) Timing

Brass Contributor

So the pilot comes on on a March and September timing. So the first will be 1709.

So right now the latest CB is 1703. Does it become the last CBB or the first Semi-Annual Channel (Broad)?

Is the approximately four months between the release of a Semi-Annual Branch (Pilot) and the Semi-Annual Branch Channel (Broad)? Or are Semi-Annual Channel (Pilots) promoted to Semi-Annual Channel (Broads) on six month boundaries too?

On the 18 months support? Is that measured against both channels or the first (Pilot)?

As you throttle release (based on hardware), does 18 months come from the date first released for first hardware platform, or when available to all platforms?

Thanks

14 Replies

Those are the new terms that we're working on.  So let me answer that in two different ways, "old" vs. "new" terms:

• New Windows 10 releases are initially considered "Current Branch" releases, to be used for piloting.  After a period of about four months, we'll declare the release as a "Current Branch for Business" release, ready for broad deployment.
  • New Windows 10 releases in the Semi-Annual Channel are initially to be used for pilot deployments.  After about four months, we'll declare that the release is ready for broad deployment.

Regardless of the terms, the 18 months is for the release, e.g. Windows 10 1703, and that 18 months starts from the date that it was released.

Hi, Michael:

"Regardless of the terms, the 18 months is for the release, e.g. Windows 10 1703, and that 18 months starts from the date that it was released."

By "released", do you mean "released to the Semi-annual (Pilot) Channel"? Or Semi-annual (Broad)? Insider?

So the branches don't transition to channels. Branches end when 1703 ends out as CB.

First channel starts with 1709. 18 Months measured from first day as a channel.

That's why we're changing the terminology :)

What's important are releases to the Semi-Annual Channel.  Don't focus so much on "Pilot" vs. "Broad" - those are just "states" or "statuses" of a particular release.

So in the case of v1703, announced late March, but released April 11th, support will therefore end on October 11th 2018, or the date that v1809 is released?

Michael,

Sorry I don't follow. Pilot and Broad do matter? I want a small trusted number of people on the non-supported preview just to track features and provide feedback. I want a only marginally slightly number of trusted people on Pilot to test with our hardware and software. The major of people will be on Broad. So I have to understand when a Pilot comes out and when it is promoted to a Broad. Finally some number of devices, not running Office may be on the LTSB. Correct?

So I miss your point on them not mattering. We need to know the names, the constant changes are problematic. If you want to show consistency then you have to show this more than aspirational it is consistently repeatable.

This is what I'm hearing:

1. 1709 is released in September 2017. It's dubbed "Semi Annual (Pilot)", and the 18 month clock starts ticking immediately.
  2. A few months later (January 2018, if we're matching the Office Pro Plus timeline), 1709 is declared ready for Semi Annual (Broad). The 18 month clock is now at 15 months.
  3. 15 Months later (March 2019), 1709 is no longer supported. There is no 60-day "grace period", as that was removed with implementation of this new servicing schedule.

Would that be an accurate life for 1709, under the new model?

Sorry, I meant that "Pilot" and "Broad" don't matter from the perspective of the servicing/support timeline.

Yes, that's pretty much accurate.  We do have to work out the finer points (e.g. if a release happens on the 2nd of the month, does the 18 months mean the last security update will be on the Patch Tuesday before that, or the Patch Tuesday after that).

I think changing the name completely would be more confusing. I like CB and CBB it made sence and it still does. I'm not realy looking forward to having to explain the road map all over again to my peers :(

Hi Michael!

Noticed too late that I missed the whole AMA sessions that would have been a very imporant one right now as I need to plan the months and years ahead. Is there any existing blog or presentation that would explain the timeline in a more detailed level forward. I should be able to present the critical timepoints to our Windows 10 migration project where we need to jump from one version to another and all help with timing would be very great.

Also a question (that may have been answered during AMA): is Office switching to 3-6 month update cycles to stay in sync with Windows 10 feature updates? We need that info also to plan for things ahead.

Hi Michael, Will this naming convention also be used for ConfigMgr? And as ConfigMgr only has CB versions, will ConfigMgr 1709 (assuming that they will also follow March-September cycle and not the 4-month cycle) be called Semi-Annual Channel "Pilot" too? That may not go down well with customers, running a Pilot version in their production.

@Michael Niehaus, Will the change in terminilogy affect the way configuration.xml is set for ODT?

We have ODT configured for two sets of people with

channel="current"

and

channel="deferred"

After Sep-2017, will the terms need to be changed to something like

channel="Semi-Annual Channel (Pilot)"

?

@Abhimanyu Singh wrote:

@Michael Niehaus, Will the change in terminilogy affect the way configuration.xml is set for ODT?

We have ODT configured for two sets of people with

channel="current"

and

channel="deferred"

After Sep-2017, will the terms need to be changed to something like

channel="Semi-Annual Channel (Pilot)"

?

@Michael Niehaus - Any clarification on the ODT channel names?