Feedback wanted on the new Grouped View feature in Insider 16.20 release

Microsoft

Grouped View is a new feature available in the Insider build to help with the problem of seeing multiple conversations with the same person or groups of people in the Chats list.  When you install Insider build 16.20, you will see an option at the top of the Chats list to choose between Grouped View and List View.

Chats tab with new Grouped View selectedChats tab with new Grouped View selected

When Grouped View is selected, all conversations with the same person or group of people are grouped together in the list with a header showing the person's or group's name.  The list is still sorted chronologically, and the groups with the most recent messages are at the top.  To see individual conversations and messages, expand the group and select the desired conversation. When you receive a new message, the group heading is bolded and marked with a red dot, similar to how conversations with new messages are marked.  In the screenshot, Premal sent me a message, so the group heading and the conversation with the message are both marked as having new messages.

List View is the same chats list as before.

We want your feedback on this feature.  Please post your suggestions and reactions here.  If you see bugs, please report through the Report an Issue command on Help menu in the app so that we have logs to diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Phil.

3 Replies

Product Team,

I am on Office Insider Fast but unfortunately when I check for updates it says no new updates are available - am still on 16.19.132. My initial feedback on this new functionality is that it is a step in the right direction, as without it, it's more difficult to find conversations with a particular person, but is certainly not yet where it should be as all other chat tools maintain only one thread per person you communicate with, not multiple. Soon as I can, I will try this and provide further feedback.

Thanks,

Laszlo

Hi All, running on v16.20.88.

Conceptually the layout looks good, nice idea to keep the group view/List view option on the top.

Please consider to review the logic, based on new threads initiated with the same person. Sometimes i see new sessions appearing in every 5-10mins, other cases the same session kept for hours. Would be great to have it consistent one session per day per individual.

Regards,

Peter

I checked again today and this time the updater did find the new version so I was able to install it. The grouped view seems to work fine in that within the groups the messages show up in chronological order, as are the groups themselves. No issues noticed so far.