User and session restore - Edge Canary

Steel Contributor

I just updated Edge Canary today and things are messed up. There was a window telling me that Edge signed me in even though Windows has not been signed into with a Microsoft account. Now the profile says "Work" and has an icon that doesn't fit other icons. 

Session restore fails to restore any other windows but I can still use ctrl+shift+t to bring them back but will be a duplicate. 

12 Replies

Hi,
a screenshot of the problem here would also help :)
also just to make sure, you've never signed into Edge insider before on your computer (for cloud sync)?

I've never signed into Edge Canary.

@HotCakeX I have had the same problem...

1. I had 2 profiles "Home" and "Work"
2. "Home" was signed in and syncing with my personal microsoft account
3. Upon installing todays update I was greeted with the similar message that my account was now linked with my Work AD account and syncing was disabled by my administrator.

4. My former "Home" profile was now renamed "Work" and seemingly permanently linked to the account used to login to the computer. (I can't see a way to unlink this)

5. My former "Work" profile seems untouched

6. Creating a new profile to sync it with my personal microsoft account requires adding that account to windows hello. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world. 

The problem I'm left with is somehow getting my work bookmarks back into what seems to be required to be my work profile now.

Hi,
#3 is strange, accounts getting merged/linked. the whole point of having separate profiles is to have separate and different content on each of them, merging and linking them doesn't make sense, must be a bug?
I have the same problem restoring my session every time I restart/reopen Microsoft Edge. In most cases, only one window gets restored. Using the menu or keyboard shortcuts I can reopen them but I get some windows with identical tabs.

This happens in Canary and current Dev channel version.

@HotCakeX yeah obviously a bug.

After updating my home PC which went ok, I think what's happened is they take the original "Default" profile and link it to your windows login account (irrevocably, and not deletable - which is a pain) - they should have checked it wasn't already a synced profile though.

And then they've tweaked the way you can sync a secondary profile with a microsoft account to require the windows hello link. 

Nothing too major, just a pain to fix it up because I need to move all my bookmarks because the default profile is not deleteable anymore.

Windows Hello shouldn't be a problem since it gives you multiple options, like picture password, face detection, finger print, Pin etc. I only use the PIN (and sometimes picture password) since my PC doesn't have the rest of the special hardware :)
Now session restore crashes Edge. It doesn't happen on Chrome Canary. I had about 5 windows with about 5 tabs each and now they're all gone. I hate life. I don't know why I was using Edge Canary for main browsing.
I totally feel you :)
now I switched my main browser to Google chrome stable because Edge canary keeps crashing, even crashes when I want to send feedbacks lol

yesterday i did a reinstall and thought it synced all of my bookmarks but then i realized any changes I made to my bookmarks in the last 4-5 days (deleting, adding etc) were not sycned and I lost them..
I'm using Chrome Canary because OF COURSE
I'm using Google Chrome Canary and a bit of Stable because OF COURSE when I do a bit more browsing in Microsoft Edge Canary, it starts crashing.

and this post is quite old and no one from Microsoft has seen this. It makes me sad. I thought Microsoft would actually listen
Yeah..they need to create a proper bug tracking website to be able to respond to them faster and better. forum is good but it's more general