SOLVED

Tabs and Dark Mode

Bronze Contributor

@Elliot Kirk I feel that the dark mode isn't as contrasting as the dark mode in the original edge. When I tried it in the original, I was entranced by the dark modes near complete black color(1). The new edge has a dark gray color that does not look as contrasting(2).

(1)og edge color.png (2)chrome edge color.png

The new edge active tab is lighter than the other tabs and looks similar to chrome, however, if it were like the original edge, it would add personality to the browser. chrome edge tab.png

The original edge uses shadows to make the active tab appear to pop out a little bit from the other tabs, which is only helpful with 90 degree angles, so this would be nice to implement at the same time. Another part that made the dark mode so attractive is when the mouse hovered over an area, that area would lighten up a bit.

og edge tab.png

Lighter areas and slight pop out effect example:

OGedgelighterareas.gif

Tabs also were able to slide under each other.

OGedgeswitchtabs.gif

tabslideunder.gif

Another issue is that there isn't an option to make the background of the new tab page dark. It would add to the aesthetics if you were able to customize the color of the new tab page background.dark mode improvments.pngEdit: the last tab has been turned dark for a while now.

51 Replies
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Somehow I think making the UI as close to the original Edge should be the top priority in the new Edge. It still looks like a slightly reskinned Chrome...

@Deleted The Dark mode regardless of texture etc. is a godsend to me personally as with the darker screen and white lettering it is surely the best option and in my case, (very poor eyesight) it is a no brainer, so needless to say it is is an assett regardless, but it would be cool to have say variable darker colours, (dark Blue, Deep Red and the like) just to jazz it up a tad perhaps! It is an absolute necessity to me!

@Woodykirk 

That's a good idea. I think that there are themes in the Microsoft store (the chromium one) to change the tab/omnibox bar colors. I know in Firefox there are even pictures you can insert there, but I haven't checked the store for edge to see if that's available yet.

My idea was to make the background of the "focused" homepage available in different colors, because right now its only available in white. 

@cjc2112 

I'm going to go into more detail here on the colors to homepage. I already posted this, but can't figure out how to link it, so I'm posting it here as well.

I used Inspect element to add different colors to the new tab page, and think Microsoft should consider this. @Elliot Kirk.

This is the current default dark theme for the focused NTP:This is the default dark themeThis is the default dark theme

These are the new ones:

BlackBlackBlueBlueGreenGreenRedRedSky blueSky blueYellowYellow

I'm colorblind and can't see purple(it just looks like a different shade of blue. I'm told I can't see the red. I wouldn't know) so I didn't bother trying to find it, and I apologize if the blue is actually purple.

@cjc2112 I like they sky blue...that's an awesome color background.

@cjc2112 

Hi,

I have 3 comments:

1. I find when hoovering things do change such that it is quite noticeable, to me.
2. You can move the tabs laterally, the same as w/ Edge.
3. If the OS is set to Dark & certain OS Accent colours are used one can have very good contrast across the Edge C top bar. 

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I hate the fact that tabs slide under each other in Edge Spartan. It makes me so frustrated. I love the way Chromium handles tabs

I agree on the appearance of tabs, the hover effect on tabs and the omnibox in dark mode though!

I love it! Similarly, Google Chrome has NTP customisation with a colour picker! It even themes the browser!
I love this suggestion because it offers clarity to each tab, flexibility to the user, it brings some of the nicer features of "Classic Edge" to Edge Chromium and yet differentiates Edge from Chrome.

@Woodykirk Today, they changed the dark omnibox from pure black to light gray and its annoying to see the lack of contrast after knowing what it was before.

The dark option is of little use@cjc2112 

Dark Mode may not be useful to everyone, and many casual users may only discover it by accident, but it can be a particularly useful option.

I like to switch to it at night sometimes, or when using a smaller device outside in bright sunlight.

I have a friend who simply prefers the look and is very pleased to now be able to switch Windows 10 to Dark Mode and have apps match it as well.

@Graham-STMC 

It's (visually) more attractive than blazing white, it's relaxing & primary reason, it's easy on the eyes.

And rest assured, your friend is not unique, not alone, at all; MANY Countless numbers of us were and are very pleased, indeed:exclamation_mark: The more widespread it's become the more pleased we are :lol:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 Yes, I use it to save battery, reduce strain on my eyes, and because it looks prettier. Some people like light mode and sometimes I do too, but I use dark mode much more frequently and, as a rule of thumb, the darker it is the better it is in my opinion.

Everybody chooses what they like @Drew1903 

@cjc2112 totally support! I always confused about which tab is active now in dark mode, it would be great to make it more contrast or at least give us legacy Edge UI.

To repeat: If certain OS Accent colours are used/selected there can be oodles of contrast and tabs super easy to see/notice. Trust me, I'm telling you from first hand experience, it does do the trick!  

Here is an example I grabbed quickly, just an example;  Because, the quantity of colours available that work is HUGE! And showing active & non-active tabs... actually, I often change it depending what desktop wallpaper I feel like using, for a while and also, changing the pointer colour & the clock such that everything is coordinated, ascetically.  The clock is highly customizable, in many aspects, BTW!

Example.jpg

ActiveandNot.jpg

In other words, the effect varies depending on the OS Accent colour.  And you tell it to show in title bars & window edges.  If you go with Dark Mode/Theme & the default stuff for what I have discussed above, it WILL, indeed, be darn hard to have the tabs jump out at you.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Sent from Windows Mobile

I don't like accent colors and never use it, it's ok with just dark colors in OS to me and good old Spartan Edge. But it's a disaster with chromium edge dark theme and I shouldn't be forced to use accent colors.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cjc2112 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Somehow I think making the UI as close to the original Edge should be the top priority in the new Edge. It still looks like a slightly reskinned Chrome...

View solution in original post