Does opening settings have a 50 ms delay for anyone else?

Bronze Contributor

An unexpected performance regression. Compared to earlier builds, this 77.0.230.2 build has a noticeable delay when opening Settings, About Edge, etc.

See a video here: https://streamable.com/6poqe If you're crazy like, you can also count the frames and make a plot like this:

aDBgHJf

Conclusion: Chrome is much faster. Chrome Dev is done loading the full Settings page while Chromium Edge has barely created a new tab.

Chrome Dev 77.0.3860.5 dev (64-bit) = tab loaded in avg 8 ms / page finished in avg 23 ms 

Chromium Edge 77.0.230.2 dev (64-bit) = tab loaded in avg 22 ms / page finished in avg 50 ms
Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 (17134.885)
Core i5-8600K / 16 GB DDR4-3000 / 250 GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD

Perhaps I'm sensitive to these things, but on a relatively high-end system, I was a bit surprised at how large the delay was. Is this because of additional telemetry or something?
8 Replies

@ikjadoon 

Bump. Anyone else seeing this?

Having tested a i5-6200U laptop and a few Intel Celeron G4900 systems over this week, the delay is far worse: on the order of 200ms to 400ms. This delay does not exist in Chrome Dev nor Firefox.

Bug still occurring on Chromum Edge Dev Version 78.0.249.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit) // Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 (17134.950).

Reading this thread I have some questions
Is the chart produced by yourself?
What tools you used to measure the delays? i would like to do the same and report back.
Why using a new software on a relatively old OS version? a lot of things changed and improved since build (17134.950). it's very possible and related that it can have effects on the performance of the programs, specially the new Edge browser.

@HotCakeX 

Yes, measured and created by me.

To test yourself,

1) Record a screen capture while you open the Settings menu and note the recording's FPS.

2) Open the screen capture with Windows Media Player. Count the frames between 1) when the three-dot menu collapses and 2) Settings' new tab is opened and 3) Settings' new tab is fully painted. The easiest way is to seek to that part of the video, hold CTRL on your keyboard, and click the play button. Each click = 1 frame. (tip: there is no easy way to go to the previous frame). This could take some time: if you have a video editor like Adobe Premiere or others, you can directly count the frames by just seeking.

3) Then, convert to time. 60 FPS = each frame is 16.67ms (1000ms / 60 frames). 30 FPS = each frame is 33ms (1000ms / 33 frames). Multiply the frame time by the frame = total time.

Ha! I wish Windows had updated: I was never offered 1809 or 1903 on either two systems. I presume there is a compatibility block and it seems safer to have less variables than forcing an update that apparently isn't ready & then introducing some bug that Microsoft already knows about.

FWIW, 17134.950 is a new revision (August 13th, 2019), but an old build.

Well there are many things that can cause the delay.
on Windows 10 1903 and Edge insider Version 78.0.257.0 it all OK.

things you can try to fix your problem:
1. use a more updated Windows OS.
2. use a more recent version of Edge insider browser.

to update Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
the update assistant takes care of compatibility issues if anything comes up.

By the way I just remembered something, it's also possible that the reason no new OS version appears in your Windows update is that you used some kind of 3rd party tool to block Windows services and components including but not limited to: telemetry, error reporting etc. they are responsible for keeping Windows in a good shape.
those tool were made by some paranoid people thinking Microsoft is spying on them lol and those same people use services like Google or social medias that even steal more info from them than they can imagine.
many people, intentionally or unintentionally used to use such tools on their systems back then. so maybe in the past 1 or 2 years you used something similar too (probably unknowingly) which is now blocking certain updates. they also come in Different Names and shapes.

I got a couple of old laptops from 2009 (yes 10 years ago), they originally had Windows 10 Home on them. now after 10 years, I install Windows 10 pro on them and every single component of them work fine and are compatible. whatever update block could there be, i didn't see it.
and even if there were any, it could have been put by laptop manufacturer (Sony) so that i would be forced to buy a new hardware and give them more money.

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for the reply. Off-topic to the main issue, but sure...this is a normal installation with no "3rd party tool" blocking anything (...if anyone really wanted to pause updates, they'd use Group Policy on Pro installations).

I'm not sure you have grasped how slowly Microsoft pushes Windows 10 feature updates. There are millions of permutations of hardware, so it's not unusual that, simply because your old systems were unblocked that everyone else's systems were unblocked at the same time. 

//

To the topic, the bug still exists. I'll check in this week's dev later this week. The Windows version is almost wholly irrelevant to this discussion, unfortunately, because this bug is a regression within various updates of this software. 1803 is still a supported version of Windows, too, so it'd be not only bad developer practices but also incredibly obscure if Windows was causing this kind of application-specific regression.

I've tried it on Edge Canary, Chrome Canary, and Chromium and it's about the same. Instant. I can only guess that different computers and specs and internet/dsl/wi-fi speeds (in the case of internet talking about website loadings) will have different clock speeds with this type of stuff.

@Anthony My apologies for missing this message! Wow, I really lost this thread. :(

I've narrowed down the problem with my profile, actually. Once I created a new profile, the Settings panel opened much faster: just like Chrome.

I'm not sure what in the profile is "broken", but when opening Settings in my default profile, the whole Settings tab is notable delayed.

I'm updating now as build Version 80.0.355.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit) as been somewhat better on the normal profile: I'd say it's 50% faster than previous builds, but still slower than a new profile vs Chrome.