Dev channel update to 76.0.152.0 is live

Microsoft

Today we released build 76.0.152.0 to the Dev channel. This build is the first Chromium 76 build to reach the Dev channel, and also contains two weeks of fixes and improvements from the Microsoft Edge team. Some of the changes in this build are in the change summary below:

Improvements and new functionality

• Spellcheck is now enabled by default for everyone.
  • Downloads, Extensions, Favorites, History, and Settings all have refreshed colors and layout.
  • Read Aloud will now select one of the new cloud-powered voices by default.
  • The logic for quick links on the New Tab Page has been updated. Any site you add manually or edit will remain in the list unless you delete it, while other sites will continue to update based on your browsing history.
  • Added support for Dolby AC3/E-AC3 audio decoding for some media playback sources.
  • You can now sort favorites by name from the manage favorites page by right-clicking on the page background and choosing “Sort by name”.
  • Favorites in the favorites bar can now be reordered using ALT+SHIFT+LEFT/ALT+SHIFT+RIGHT.
  • When viewing history, you can now filter by time range and then search within the filtered results.
  • While viewing history, CTRL+A will now select all items in the current list.
  • The “Add a profile”  flyout now uses dark colors in dark theme.
  • The default profile icon now has a gray background instead of a white background in dark theme.
  • Tooltip improvements for tabs: new tooltip for tab close button, keyboard shortcuts added to tooltips, and special tooltip notes when a tab is in an error state.
  • The title of an InPrivate window now contains “[InPrivate]”.

Bug fixes

• The escape key now cancels profile creation.
  • When the window width is small, the “Profiles” and “Appearance” items in the Settings nav bar no longer overlap.
  • Installed sites now show the “Customize and control” menu button in the title bar.
  • Fixed a case where a page would scroll the wrong amount when using the keyboard to scroll in high DPI modes.
  • The first item in a context menu is no longer showing a hover effect when the menu is opened.
  • Fixed a bug which could cause updates to stop if you upgrade to the next Windows 10 release.
  • We fixed some problems with keyboard navigation through the toolbar and favorites.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix sometimes temporarily stopped playing video after seeking.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud would stop reading if it encountered certain characters.
  • Fixed an issue which could cause the list of pages in “On startup” settings to render incompletely.
  • When creating or editing a profile, the profile icon choices now appear in two tidy rows as expected.
  • Removed an extra vertical separator that was incorrectly appearing between an active tab and its neighbor tabs.
  • Fixed an intermittent crash in the send feedback dialog.
  • Site permissions for USB devices are now shown properly in Settings.
  • When a web page is using your microphone, a microphone icon now shows instead of a camera icon.
  • Fixed some dark text on dark background in the profile flyout in dark mode.
  • In dark theme, disabled toolbar buttons are now much easier to see.

Thanks again for being an insider, and see you next week.

-David

40 Replies

@David Rubino 

Nice. I hope we get more customization with the new tab tiles, like change favicons/images and adding more than one line of sites.

And what this means? "Downloads, Extensions, Favorites, History, and Settings all have refreshed colors and layout." I don't see any difference.

Great to see fast updates.

I hope this tradition continues once Edge C releases—Edge users will finally get more than two releases a year. :thumbs_up:

I sent three more bugs today via the feedback smiley: issues at the New York Times and Soundcloud. Hope to see them squashed and syncing of settings/extensions enabled.
Good job,hope to enable sync all features.

Hello @David Rubino,

Thank's you man ❤;):beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes: !

Again this problem :

1- https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/play-sfr-fr-home/m-p/468871#M1571

2- The checkbox to check in the webmail is too smaill in comparison with IE and CANARY/DEV EDGE, possible to enlarge it (webmail.sfr.fr). The box will just allow me to select the mail to perform an action.

3- The website tv.sfr.fr/television-sur-ordinateur-par-internet/ isn't on HTTPS (never), because always I look the URL "not secure"...why ?

How many of these things were existing problems in Chromium? I have a sneaking suspicion you guys are fixing their product for them. :)

web.whatsapp.com doesn't display images anymore. User avatars, smileys, gifs, uploaded pictures, everything is blank now. Worked fine in dev build 75!

I was thinking some of the same - but also, how many of these fixes are coming from the Chromium project?

Do Microsoft have a description about what parts of the browser is Microsoft and what parts are Chromium?

@David Rubino I just installed this version and noticed Reading View is back! However, this version (while obviously newly implemented) kind of sucks.

love Reading View on the original Edge browser with it's paged, horizontal scrolling. I'm not sure if it's limitations of the Chromium project but this display should at least be an option to enable.

Here's why it works best presented that way (for me, that is). Knowing how many "pages" there were to read has been a significant boost to my ability to read longer articles/posts on a screen. I know I could blast through a 5 "page" article in just a few minutes, but if pages went longer, I knew to add it to the Reading List, which I also love and can't wait to see implemented.

With the original Edge window wide enough, instead of a single column (like is available now), it would break into 2 columns. Combined, the overall effect when reading articles was great in reducing any "fatigue" (for lack of better word).

So here's hoping the original Edge's Reading View approach can be mimicked in Chromium Edge soon.

Other than that, and the anticipation of the Reading List and fuller syncing, I'm loving what the team is doing.

@David Rubino The option of sorting favorites should be additionally placed (in favorites management) on the left side, where you can find the options Add favorites, Add folders, etc. This would be a more convenient solution. 

@David Rubino, Hi sir, it would nice if can have a custom zoom %, the current ones are ether too big or too small. Also after we downloaded some files, the status bar at the page bottom offers options like "open file", " open folder" & etc. After selection the status bar remains, it possible make it disappear just like the current edge browser. Forgive me for my poor english, thanks...

@David Rubino Great Job guys! I'm using EdgeDev since first dev release. Better replace to Chrome memory monster :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

In this version i can sync history and fav with Edge for IOS too? Only Android for now?

@David Rubino - I'm running Version 76.0.152.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit), but don't see an option for a dark theme that's referenced in the release notes.

@David Rubino 

I'm running version "Version 76.0.152.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)" and it doesn't say [inprivate] for an imprivate window like it's supposed to be showing.

@David Rubino  Hi seems to be running smooth, would love to be able to tell edge to open ALL CLICKED LINKS to a different web site in a new tab and to switch to that new tab.  Like we used to be able to do way back when.  Thanks.

There are several references to "dark theme," yet I see no place to change the theme. Maybe that is in Developer Mode only?

Estoy usando como predeterminado Edge Dev el cual me parece fantástico, mucho mejor que el Edge HTML que usaba anteriormente, lo que no entiendo es como no la han incorporado el traductor como prioridad, no se puede interactuar con el y tengo que estar volviendo continuamente al otro para ciertas tareas como esta que estoy escribiendo, gracias y saludos.  @David Rubino

The site is working well. Please check your clock settings.

@The_Real_Crusader Paste the following in the address bar to go to the right flag to set it:

chrome://flags/#edge-follow-os-theme

Set the flag for Microsoft Edge theme to Enabled. This will set Dark Mode based on the Operating System setting, so after you click the Relaunch button on the bottom right after changing the option to Enabled you may still have the Light Mode. To change Windows 10 to use the Dark Mode theme you need to launch the Settings app on Windows 10 and navigate to the following path:

Settings > Personalization > Colors > More Options

Under More Options there is Choose your default app mode, change it from Light to Dark. It will change Edge straight away, as well as your Settings app and any other app that uses this setting, like most Microsoft Store apps.