Searching private Office 365 Group files using Delve

Brass Contributor

Hi all, is there any update on when private group files will be visible in Delve? 

It has been "rolling out" for some time now on the Office 365 Roadmap, and according to UserVoice this capability was expected to be released by end of May. Also I noticed on the Yammer Office 365 network at least one user (@Tony Redmond) has seen the capability.

We are on first release however havent seen anything on this yet. Really keen to see it happen as I think the integration between Groups and Delve will really accelerate their usefulness and user adoption.

29 Replies
It's not yet implemented on any of the tenants that I am working on either, all of them in first release. It would be great if there would be a visible timeframe on feature releases so that this kind of implementations can get communicated to users in organizations.

Anyone got any insight on this?

@Mark Kashman, do you have any details or could you refer me to someone that could help?

Thanks!

have not seen it yet.
Very interested to see an update on this. Any news @cemaykan?
have been waiting for this like fotever ;(

I thought they had done this a while back but some quick tests show it does not work. Searching private groups from the sharepoint landing page does work though.

I kind of have the feeling that Microsoft is intentionally holding back some releases for Ignite, which I would understand if we were talking about new features/products, but Searching is kind of a basic functionality that should work (I know it's technically more complicated).
Search and missing UI Integration is the main reason I'm holding back on rolling out SharePoint/Office 365 Groups/Delve. It's just bad marketing if I tell my users "look you can search, BUT you can't do THIS, or do THAT and not even ... and so on"

I hope is not in that way taking into account the "evergreen" approach Microsoft has in Office 365 release model cc @Cem Aykan

For me Delve shows two documents from Group Files. Two from ten which we collaborate lately. It is working but very poorly.
This is Standard Release. 

Hi, anybody provide an update on this issue?

I was hoping  this would get mentioned at Ignite, but it wasn't mentioned in @Mark Kashman session about the Delve Roadmap.

This missing feature is very limiting my groups/delve rollout within our organization.

Does anyone know what the implementation roadblock is for this basic functionality?

Just wanted to chime in here for an update as well.  

Unfortunately not :(

I found a bit of a work around to this.

1. Open the group document
  2. Open "Library Settings" (via gear icon at top)
  3. Open "Permissions for this document library"
  4. Add the users individually to the Members group

Office Graph / Delve will then index the files. It takes a few minutes for the files to show up.

Not sure why it does this - the only member in the members group is the name of the group. It must be different to a standard sharepoint group and Graph doesn't (yet) understand it. Someone would be able to explain this behaviour I'm sure...

Mmm...I think this workaround it's a little bit dangerous since you are breaking the essence of Groups in regards of security...of course, you can modify the security of the site group as you are describing, but I don't think this is the way to go to make group files discoverable in Delve

@Cameron Monks wrote:

I found a bit of a work around to this.

1. Open the group document
  2. Open "Library Settings" (via gear icon at top)
  3. Open "Permissions for this document library"
  4. Add the users individually to the Members group

Office Graph / Delve will then index the files. It takes a few minutes for the files to show up.

Not sure why it does this - the only member in the members group is the name of the group. It must be different to a standard sharepoint group and Graph doesn't (yet) understand it. Someone would be able to explain this behaviour I'm sure...

Interesting, so that feature can't be that far off. 

Can anyone confirm why or how the permissions are different for a public group? Wouldn't they be same (groupname is member of document libraries members group). The only difference would be that the joining request would get approved automatically, instead of an own.

We practically don't have any public groups, which makes Delve pretty much useless at the moment.

@Ivan Unger, the difference between public and private groups is "Everyone except external users" is added to the Members group for the team site. Toggling between public and private adds or removes this. I guess "Everyone except external users", being a standard sharepoint group, is understood by Office Graph.

@Juan Carlos González Martín, what was your thinking behind it being "dangerous"? Are you thinking that if we replicate the users, someone may delete a user from the group thinking it will delete them from all access but they still have access to the site? Understand this is a risk, however we are using permissions to govern additional team site access anyway.

@Cameron Monks wrote:

@Ivan Unger, the difference between public and private groups is "Everyone except external users" is added to the Members group for the team site. Toggling between public and private adds or removes this. I guess "Everyone except external users", being a standard sharepoint group, is understood by Office Graph.

Yes, that much is clear. But there is an additional permission compontent for public groups, since you technically have permission to the content, but are not yet member of a public group just because it exists. This component, whatever it is, also handles the visiblity your group memberships (e.g. Outlook  Web left nav pane).

What I've meant by "difference" was in regard to search. Why can't the search service (or Office Graph?) find the files from private groups that I'm allowed to access through a direct permission assignment, but on the other hand is able to find files through the "everyone except external users" assignment. 

Hi

Do anyone have any update on this? Not having Delve search in private groups will confuse my users when they try to use Delve :(

Br. Rune