Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Windows Server 2019 to 2016 downgrade

Copper Contributor

Hello, I upgraded my Windows Server 2012 R2 server to the 2019 standard version. But the CPU usage rate has increased too much. The server is moving very slowly. So I want to downgrade to try the standard version of 2016. How can I do that? Can I downgrade when I download iso? I also want to find out why cpu usage has increased.

10 Replies

You can download the 2016 evaluation here if that's what you're asking

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016/

or better yet ask your reseller or volume center about obtaining a downgrade product key and installation media.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/9/68964284-864d-4a6d-aed9-f2c1f8f23e14/downgrade_rights....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4471406/how-to-contact-the-microsoft-volume-licensing-servi...

@Dave Patrick  The link you submitted does not say how I will pass 2016. I downloaded the 2016 iso. I have a license, but I don't understand how to downgrade?

You cannot downgrade directly. You have to a fresh install with the Server 2016 media.

You should be able to get a seperate 2016 product key from your volume license center. If you can't get a valid 2016 product key, you may not have bought your server license with downgrage rights. Consult your reseller regarding downgrade right. Either way, you have to start fresh, as there is no live-server-downgrade option.

@dogantopkaya 

Thank you for this devastating answer :) I guess the most basic way to do this is to restore the image.

@dretzer 

You'll need to clean install it. There's no method to downgrade (in-place) the operating system. The cleaner / simpler / much safer method is to clean install it, patch fully and migrate the roles or applications over to it.

Hello
How to downgrade Windows Server 2019 to Windows Server 2016 CSP licences?
Can you give me the process or documents related to ?

@Alphm wrote:
Hello
How to downgrade Windows Server 2019 to Windows Server 2016 CSP licences?
Can you give me the process or documents related to ?

I'd start a new thread.

Hello , I have bought win server 2019 standards OEM license and need to downgrade to windows server 2019
What’s the process
Like everyone else mentioned , there is no downgrade option and you have to perform a fresh install.
Have you check the Task Manager , to see what causing so much resource consumption?
Have you installed all updates.
Goo approach would be troubleshoot the performance issue and it could be faster than reinstalling Windows Server.

@Reza_AmeriI use Windows Server for SAM Broadcaster for my radio station and just discovered it doesn't work on Server 2019 standard so will need to downgrade to server 2016 standard.

It's a major issue for me to do a complete reinstall on a dedicated server which isn't physically in front of me.